Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You do know that not everyone can afford to own a home? Sheesh.
Some people also like renting instead of owning. Some areas are expensive and it is easier to rent than own. Some people may not intend to live permanently in an area and don’t want to bother with buying and selling property. There are lots of reasons why people may end up living in apartment style dwellings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It is an unspeakable tragedy but the fact of the matter is DeBlasio's NYC is full of old tenement buildings with low appliances with huge families that don't know how to raise their children.

When they have a city that has third-world birth rates and people crammed into tiny apartments with tiny, low to the floor appliances it is a recipe for disaster.

Never could understand why people in these large cities have crazy large families that they can't take care of and live in tiny overcrowded apartments.
Those tenements have been there since the late 1800's, it's got NOTHING to do with DeBlasio. You're just really truly desperate to put your own political spin on anything and everything.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:44 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
I really dislike Deblasio, but blaming this awful tragedy on him in any way, shape, or form is asinine and offensive.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:46 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
It is an unspeakable tragedy but the fact of the matter is DeBlasio's NYC is full of old tenement buildings with low appliances with huge families that don't know how to raise their children.

When they have a city that has third-world birth rates and people crammed into tiny apartments with tiny, low to the floor appliances it is a recipe for disaster.

Never could understand why people in these large cities have crazy large families that they can't take care of and live in tiny overcrowded apartments.
You truly don't have any idea what you are talking about. You read articles and then you comment on them as if you have personal experience with these situations. Your are a propagandist's dream come true. Please stop already.

Last edited by Timmyy; 12-30-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Most big liberal American cities are little more than baby-factories living in outdated homes with no safety prevention measures.
You really do live in your own bubble, don't you.

Breaking news: Rural areas have higher birth rates than "big liberal" cities, particularly among teens.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Those tenements have been there since the late 1800's, it's got NOTHING to do with DeBlasio. You're just really truly desperate to put your own political spin on anything and everything.
Here you go, photos from a hundred years or more. DeBlasio wasn't even born when these pictures were taken.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So basically, your experience with certain parts of the US/world is so limited and your mind is so small that you cannot fathom why everyone doesn't covet a McMansion in a Midwestern US suburb.

Yeah, you've already made that painfully obvious. It's a big world out there, lovescrowds, don't be so frightened of it.....
Yes, I have a small mind I guess and your right I just can't fathom why big cities are baby factories full of big families being raised in old, small apartments.

Seems to a tradition in NYC and LA for people to have as many children as they can and rent the lowest amount of square footage possible with outdated appliances and code violations.

I have zero appetite for big, liberal cities. I like the suburbs and college-towns offer far more entertainment and stimulus than a big city could ever provide.

No matter how much liberals try to pretend that big cities are full of single people living in apartments like in the movies, most are big families raising their families in third-world conditions in small apartments.

New York City schools for instance are extremely overcrowded according because New York City is full of poor families living in crowded tenement apartments with multiple-children that they don't have the skills to watch over appropriately.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have a small mind I guess and your right I just can't fathom why big cities are baby factories full of big families being raised in old, small apartments.

Seems to a tradition in NYC and LA for people to have as many children as they can and rent the lowest amount of square footage possible with outdated appliances and code violations.

I have zero appetite for big, liberal cities. I like the suburbs and college-towns offer far more entertainment and stimulus than a big city could ever provide.

No matter how much liberals try to pretend that big cities are full of single people living in apartments like in the movies, most are big families raising their families in third-world conditions in small apartments.

New York City schools for instance are extremely overcrowded according because New York City is full of poor families living in crowded tenement apartments with multiple-children that they don't have the skills to watch over appropriately.
It would appear you've never even been to New York.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:

Why have kids if they can't watch them 24 hours, 7 days a week?

Why have a big family if they are living in a century-year old walk up overcrowded apartment building festered with disease?

I wonder how many siblings the parents who were living in a Bronx tenement were preoccupied with?

Seems like the NYC model of crowded tenement apartments crowded with families that can't watch their children that are breeding grounds of disease isn't really working very well.
The Day Eric Clapton's Son Was Killed in a 49-Story Fall

Old 12-30-2017, 07:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
I will not get political here.

I looked at it and it's a five story building of about 50'x90=4,500 sq ft/floor or 22,500 sq ft total.

Construction type IIIb?

Quote:
TYPE III-B--Unprotected Combustible (Also known as "ordinary" construction; has brick or block walls with a
wooden roof or floor assembly which is not protected against fire. These buildings are frequently found in
"warehouse" districts of older cities.)
2 Hr. Exterior Walls*
No fire resistance for structural frame, floors, ceilings, or roofs.
What exactly are the floors made up of? We looking at solid wood joists, perhaps 2x10's or 2x12'xs, with wood flooring and wood lathe and plaster ceilings?

If someone knows what they typically are I would honestly like to know.

Fire in the right place would take this building out before the fire department got there and that fire escape from the 1920's is an absolute joke.

Under today's most common building code, the International Building Code, this building would be Type I non-combustible and if Type IIIb it would be limited to 3 stories unless it had a fire sprinkler system.

Note: I know the code is marked New Jersey but I believe, though I can not be sure, New York pretty much follows the same thing.

Chances are if the building was equipped with fire sprinklers nobody would have died and the fire would never had made the news.

http://www.firemarshals.org/resources/Documents/NASFM%20Documents/F1%20-%20FIRE%20SPRINKLER%20FACTS.pdf

Quote:
Aside from fire fighting and explosion fatalities, there has never been a multiple loss of life in a fully sprinklered building due to fire or smoke.
Cost to retrofit fire sprinklers in a building such as this?

New York has high labor costs so it would cost more than say the more rural areas of the country.

A lot also depends on the pressure available at the flow required. For example if you have 60 psi flowing 500 gpm at the street most likely you would not need a fire pump which adds significant costs but if all you got is 30 psi, which has to be very rare, then you will need a small 250 gpm fire pump.

I will take a wild guess here and put the cost at $4.00/sq ft or less than $100,000 but you could probably add $35,000 for a small fire pump by the time you had electrical work added.

In Indiana or Ohio you could expect $2.50 to $3.00 per sq ft and $25,000 for the fire pump if needed. In areas I have worked in, I hold licenses in Alaska, Nebraska, Ohio, Vermont and four states in the south, a fire pump would only be needed in about 20% of the locations. $60,000 unless something weird popped up such as having to install an adequate water main under a four lane interstate highway.

How many rental units did this building have, 25? In most of the country a retrofit would run $2,500 a rental unit but I suppose we could double that in New York City.

That all said, and I hope someone here finds this interesting, knowing what I know I would never spend a single night in a building like that. Not one night, I would rather sleep in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies