Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If voter IDs are so important why not just have them issued when a person registers to vote? I registered and got a card in the mail a few weeks later in every state I have ever lived in. Why can't that card be your voter ID?
I've stated this many times. When you register you get a voter registration card. There is nothing to stop the states from issuing them with a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 01:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
States have offered to provide ID's for free, but just like the birth control argument, people claim it's too difficult to get such things and therefore, is targeting the poor / minorities.

Poor people aren't stupid. They have to find ways to make it in life. Assuming they cannot leave their home and get to point B to get an ID is ridiculous.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Do You Need ID To Buy Marijuana or Get Alcohol Legally in Your State?
No.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
States have offered to provide ID's for free, but just like the birth control argument, people claim it's too difficult to get such things and therefore, is targeting the poor / minorities.
If a state wants to issue a photo I.D. when a person registers, nobody can stop that. That's not what this is about though. It's about being divisive.

Quote:
Poor people aren't stupid. They have to find ways to make it in life. Assuming they cannot leave their home and get to point B to get an ID is ridiculous.
I'm not poor. I have a Constitutional right to vote. I've already met the qualifications. I do not have to then jump through new hoops to exercise my rights.

If the state wants to issue me a new registration card when I renew my driver's license, they can.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:27 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the answer is "yes" then why is it voter suppression to be asked for ID when you vote? Don't the same people buy marijuana and/or alcohol?
Well, this is how I see it. I do think you should provide ID to show that you are old enough to purchase mature, adult things like alcohol, smokes, NC-17 material, firearms and of course, to vote. But this is where it get's tricky. ID's right now, cost money. Since it's such a staple for everyone to have, I think a simple ID should not have to cost us any money. Should be free like a library card is free.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:49 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:

In my opinion there should be a national ID card and automatic voter registration once each citizen turns 18. This would kill a divisive issue in one stroke..

Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In my opinion there should be a national ID card and automatic voter registration once each citizen turns 18. This would kill a divisive issue in one stroke..
The Right Wing has resisted all such attempts since time immemorial. Claims it gives the Feds too much information and authority. That is why we do this stupid dance with SS Numbers.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
If it is so difficult to get an ID card, how do the poor sign up for welfare and food stamps?
An ID is required for both.
How do they get a fishing or hunting license? An ID is required.
How do they drive a vehicle? A license is required, and it must comply with the Federal Real ID rules.
How do they get a prescription filled? An ID is required.
How do they open a bank account or join a Credit Union? ID is required.
How do they enlist in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard? A picture ID is required.
How do they enroll in any school?
How do they register to vote? an ID and proof of address is required.

No, sorry, but there are so many things in the modern world that require a picture ID that the argument that the poor or minorities or poor minorities can't get one just won't work any more.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:21 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:

It's not just the cost of the ID's -- it is also the red tape.

Do some reading....just do some reading....

Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If it is so difficult to get an ID card, how do the poor sign up for welfare and food stamps?
An ID is required for both.
How do they get a fishing or hunting license? An ID is required.
How do they drive a vehicle? A license is required, and it must comply with the Federal Real ID rules.
How do they get a prescription filled? An ID is required.
How do they open a bank account or join a Credit Union? ID is required.
How do they enlist in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard? A picture ID is required.
How do they enroll in any school?

No, sorry, but there are so many things in the modern world that require a picture ID that the argument that the poor or minorities or poor minorities can't get one just won't work any more.
Again -- you need to read more on those that have had issues getting id.

Your ignorance doesn't make it easier for these folks to fulfill the requirements of some of the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies