U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
8,319 posts, read 2,407,400 times
Reputation: 4337

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Pffftt... sure. Because places like Alabama and Mississippi are examples of how the nation should live. Sure... and I bet they are magically free of corruption, too, because "Republicans aren't corrupt" or some other fact-free partisan nonsense. I also like your rage against pensions. Typical right-wing selfishness - let the old die poor.

Now, for some facts to interrupt the right-wing nonsense:

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

Oh, gee - look at that. The states that take the most money from the federal government are almost entirely red states, and the ones that give the most are almost entirely blue states. Typical right-wing parasites in states that would be dead were it not for the healthy economies of the "liberal" states they so hate. Hypocrites.
Maybe true, maybe not. That doesn't address the blatant waste of what 3.5 billion dollars per mile of track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 AM
 
272 posts, read 95,577 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Pffftt... sure. Because places like Alabama and Mississippi are examples of how the nation should live. Sure... and I bet they are magically free of corruption, too, because "Republicans aren't corrupt" or some other fact-free partisan nonsense. I also like your rage against pensions. Typical right-wing selfishness - let the old die poor.

Now, for some facts to interrupt the right-wing nonsense:

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

Oh, gee - look at that. The states that take the most money from the federal government are almost entirely red states, and the ones that give the most are almost entirely blue states. Typical right-wing parasites in states that would be dead were it not for the healthy economies of the "liberal" states they so hate. Hypocrites.
You want to look at where so much of federal money goes to, military spending . The question should be why is military service so overwhelmingly dominated by red counties and red states?

US Military Is Not Representative Of Country - Business Insider

Why the U.S. Military Is So Southern | Acumen | OZY

You want federal money for bases,veterans benefits, military research and spending, serve your country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:25 AM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
2,747 posts, read 1,698,073 times
Reputation: 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Even the liberals at the NY Times know that NYC is in no danger of falling into conservative/republican control so they will not hold back against other liberals in the local government. On the national stage, that is a different matter and liberal NY Times is very much biased and partisan.
That's not true at all. Two of the last three NYC mayors were Republicans, one of whom is a massive Trump supporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 AM
 
26,184 posts, read 8,913,327 times
Reputation: 9117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Right-wingers view everything as the fault of "liberals" while missing the fact that incompetence can strike anywhere at any time: government or big business, right or left. Stop trying to make everything about partisan politics, unless you actually expect us to believe that in magical right-wing land, infrastructure projects always go as planned and come in under budget. Sure they do...

Of course, if we're playing the partisan game as is this forum's purpose, I can do that, too. At least they got a subway track - the only reason righties haven't screwed up something similar, is because they don't spend a dime on infrastructure. There, that accomplished a lot, didn't it? Whatever...
Liberals try to deny and deflect responsibility of their failures that happen on their watch. Look over there !!!

Some people buy into it. Then to add insult to injury they will want a pay raise or bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:33 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,478 posts, read 2,845,256 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
That's not true at all. Two of the last three NYC mayors were Republicans, one of whom is a massive Trump supporter.
You are not from this area so you don’t know. I am and I know.

Bloomberg was not a true republican. He ran on the republican ticket for convenience. He is a moderate democrat. Everyone knows that. Giuliani is a true republican but that was over 20 years ago. NYC’s demographic has changed tremendously since then, i.e. middle class blue collar that were politically conservative is pretty nonexistent now (small holdout on Staten Island but they are outnumbered) whereas back then it was a major voting block. Those have moved out (to LI, NJ, PA, FL, etc.) and are not coming back.

It would take a miracle for a conservative republican to win NYC again and there are none in the pipeline that I can see. After Deblasio (Debozo as many locals have called him) it is all liberals as far as the eye can see.

And yes, the NY Times is well aware of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:42 AM
 
5,634 posts, read 2,271,035 times
Reputation: 5864
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
this is my pet peeve with certain people in government. when they buy some good or service, and get screwed by a vendor or consultant, and then just throw up their hands, "oh well." it's not their money.

no. you nail those suckers to the wall, is what you do. government contractors shouldn't be treated with kid gloves.

there are some giant corporations that have made a business model of this. They sell to fed/state/local gov't, fail to deliver on purpose, and dare the gov't to sue.
You wouldn't believe what goes on out there. America is corrupt top to bottom. This 3.5 billion a mile for a tunnel takes the cake though.

That's the best "stolen fair and sguare" I've seen yet!! Right up there with the fat arsed firechief making 350k a year and had been voting himself raises for decades.

GOOD JOB MURIKA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM
 
Location: USA
7,479 posts, read 5,765,936 times
Reputation: 12318
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Maybe true, maybe not. That doesn't address the blatant waste of what 3.5 billion dollars per mile of track.
Which is not a "liberal" problem, as the OP paints it out to be. Nor is failure somehow limited to "the guberment" as the far right wants to you believe.

Anyone can play this game of picking out specific examples that support partisan ideals, as is often seen on this laughable, right-wing excuse for a "political debate" forum. But such nonsense still ignore reality, but that's to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:25 AM
 
Location: USA
7,479 posts, read 5,765,936 times
Reputation: 12318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
time for a change, only hope is Trump. If not for Trump better just shut up and hand over your hard earned cash to people who considered taxpayer cash flow and endless spring of personal profit.
Right, sure. Because trusting a lunatic like Trump, who doesn't even pay his taxes and whose entire life is based on one shady, corrupt "deal" after another is really going to "drain the swamp" of corruption.

Tell me another one - I've got all day, lol.

Cult 45 to the last - laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:33 AM
 
Location: USA
7,479 posts, read 5,765,936 times
Reputation: 12318
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapilot View Post
You want federal money for bases,veterans benefits, military research and spending, serve your country
You can't possibly be implying that people in blue states don't serve their nation or contribute in any way to supporting the military? I mean, seriously - that's just beyond the usually level of partisan absurdity in this forum.

You also can't expect anyone to believe that the economy of those deep red states would be healthy without government spending. In most cases, the "big military base" IS the only source of real jobs in the area. That is hardly some example of the "triumph" of right-wing ideals if the only jobs you can get are the ones created by the government for you!

Finally, you don't need some silly, right-wing conspiracy to answer the question as to why so many military bases are built in red states:
  • Red states have lower population density than many blue states, so it is far easier to get the huge chunks of land you need for a large military base. Doubly-so if you need the base to be a distance from civilization because of what you're testing there. You're not going to test missiles in Delaware, and that's not because "Delaware has too many liberals, durrrrr."
  • Red states are warmer along the southern coastal regions, which matters for things like warm-water ports and shipyards that you might not want to be frozen up part of the year.
  • Similarly, the states best suited for space launches and recoveries from an orbital mechanics and scientific perspective all happen to be red states. But the number of righties in Florida is not what made the state well suited for NASA's work; it's simply a matter of location.
None of those facts has anything to do with some silly attempt to paint the red-states as the "real heart of 'mericah" or some drivel. Honestly, what passes for reasoning on this forum is getting worse by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:38 AM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,605,328 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Hereís a very revealing (but not surprising) story by the NY Times on the gross incompetence, corruption and bureaucracy that plagues NYC/NYS government. Itís by the liberal NY Times, so if they are not even afraid of exposing liberal NY politics, then you know itís real and serious.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/n...ion-costs.html
So the Trump wall will probably cost in several trillion dollars.
Can or will Mexico pay that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top