U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM

10,930 posts, read 5,006,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
With a family member dealing with bladder Cancer which is the leading cause of smoking as well for Lung Cancer, smoking being cause #1, will not Marijuana increases the amount of people suffering from Cancer in the near and far future?

When you walk through the hall ways of Moffitt and other Cancer centers you can't get away from the horrific images of people of all ages, all backgrounds and ho are trying to overcome Cancer!

In my families case the number one cause seems to be that the entire family was smoking inside the house since the birth. Back in the days it wasn't so well known how second hand smoke could cause serious issues.

Now we know.

Smoking electronic sigarettes will soon be proven to cause harm as nicotine seems to be part of this form of usuagw.

Marijuana is often smoked and is there a difference between regular sigarettes and smoking a blunt?

Please advise your family members and let them walk through a Cancer Center and see what smoking can do to Your body.

What will happen to th cost of health insurance?
I don't buy the argument that smoking marijuana is "healthy" - you are inhaling smoke, that in itself cannot be great. And there are likely side effects to overuse. But it is certainly better than cigarette smoke (assuming you're comparing to "big tobacco" cigarettes, and not tobacco you're rolling yourself).

I don't smoke (never have), but I don't care if others do. The war on Marijuana has always been so insane when tobacco cigarettes have always been legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM

6,927 posts, read 4,920,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Since it's harmful to lung health, there's a good chance marijuana could lead to lung cancer. Why take the chance? Do we have to wait ten years or so until somebody finally proves it inconclusively? Why not be pro-active and, if you want to take marijuana, then use the edible form.

Even then, you shouldn't be out driving around in a car after eating it. I drove after having smoked it--didn't get in an accident but came close to it and luckily, was able to pull over until the effect wore off. We are just asking for yet another societal problem. We didn't used to think cigarette smoke was dangerous either--had to wait around for all the studies to finally come out. By that time...well, I think we know.
There is much evidence about the medical benefits of Marijuana, and some of it is SPECIFIC to pulminary health. As a parent of a child with Cystic Fibrosis, I have researched it a lot. Obviously, putting smoke into your lungs is not a good idea, really in any instance, but there are other ways to ingest it (eat, vape, drink, etc...), all available in the legal shops in Colorado, and I assume now in CA.

Also, for those concerned about the "buzz factor", many of the benefits can be found without the THC.

My post is neither pro, or anti pot. I am just saying EVERYONE needs to take a deep breath (no pun intended), set aside emotions, and stick to facts. Facts are that there are positives and negatives to pot. Some of the negatives can be mitigated, others cannot. That's just how it is.

It is my OPINION that I'd rather have people able to buy pot than alcohol, but that really doesn't matter. Alcohol is here to stay, pot may or may not make it into mainstream (I think it will grown in acceptance, but again, just opinion).

As a parent, I tend to warn my child against use, because it's illegal, and can have job implications. And because it can make some folks too complacent ("lazy"). Quietly though, I worry a lot more about other things than pot. Alcohol, peer pressure, sex, and her CF are all bigger worries.

Like I said, there is no "right answer", but it is certainly wrong to let emotion rule you. Know the facts, know the risks, and decide for yourself, and let other adults do the same for themselves...

Old 01-02-2018, 03:43 PM

2,670 posts, read 896,673 times
Effects of weed smoking is it gets the user "high". The "high" is the direct short term result of killing brain cells. Long term effects are physical and/or mental disorders. So why is it so difficult for people to find ways to be happy without getting "high"?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:05 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,032,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Effects of weed smoking is it gets the user "high". The "high" is the direct short term result of killing brain cells. Long term effects are physical and/or mental disorders. So why is it so difficult for people to find ways to be happy without getting "high"?
Did you hear that at church?

While I can agree there are long-term mental consequences of heavy marijuana smoking, the high is not the result of "killing brain cells."

People find happiness in different ways. For you it may be Christianity but for others it might not be. What's wrong with letting people find their own happiness as long as it isn't hurting anybody else?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM

11,050 posts, read 6,458,200 times
Of course. Look what else it does to you.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM

2,671 posts, read 973,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Totally false, and misleading. The chemicals created by burning both tobacco, and marijuana are harmful to the human body when inhaled. The Left has demonized cigarettes, and legal tobacco, but marijuana is fine? More Progressive logic.
Well the good thing about marijuana is that you don't have to smoke it.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 PM

13,471 posts, read 8,483,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I don't smoke pot but I know people who have smoked it since the 60s with no problems. My father smoked cigarettes and died of lung cancer.
I know two guys who have smoked cigarettes since the 60's with no problems.

Smoking anything is a problem. People who do are both smelly and stupid.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:52 PM

5,580 posts, read 3,643,327 times
Quote:
Jeez people are ignorant when it comes to marijuana.

If you drink alcohol go smoke a joint or grab an edible. Not much difference from the alcohol, except it'll make you nicer.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:01 PM

3,144 posts, read 876,326 times
Quote:
Ridiculous.

Both of your posts in this thread on this topic shows your complete ignorance of the not only the cannabis plant, but also its effect on humans. You should either educate yourself or quit posting about it.

I have been using it for over 45 years. I would love for you to find my "physical and/or mental disorders".

I am also 61, and have never filed a medical insurance claim in my life.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 PM

11,050 posts, read 6,458,200 times
Quote:
Denial is common in habitual drug users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or