Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,341,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Bahahahaa....

I guess Libs aren't quite so interested in the rich paying their "fair share" as they pretend to be.
It's the "other rich" they expect to pay. Just the usual, they're always ready for government to take and spend someone elses money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's too bad that so far in this thread the tax issue can't be discussed in a mature and adult way.

Here's the objective truth: it is bad for the economy and it is bad for America for federal policy to pick winner states and loser states. If Trump wants a strong economy he can't do it without California's tech sector and New York's financial prowess. The blue states need the the industry, energy, and agriculture from the red states. We are the United States and we should be working together.
It wouldn't be hard for these companies to relocate into states with lower taxes.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:54 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,101,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
We are helping liberal states understand they need to lower their taxes. Tough love. Tech jobs will find new homes in better tax climates within the country.
Not only that...but now us poor taxpayers won't have to subsidize them with our taxes!

Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 PM

3,312 posts, read 1,940,874 times
Quote:
It's too bad that so far in this thread the tax issue can't be discussed in a mature and adult way.

Here's the objective truth: it is bad for the economy and it is bad for America for federal policy to pick winner states and loser states. If Trump wants a strong economy he can't do it without California's tech sector and New York's financial prowess. The blue states need the the industry, energy, and agriculture from the red states. We are the United States and we should be working together.
Oh so now liberals want bi-partisanship?
Bless your little heart.
Elections have consequences don’tcha know?
And since when have liberals been interested in objectivity?
Your game is played, yo.
Come back in 7 years and try again.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:04 PM

56,986 posts, read 25,952,358 times
You cant sue over horrible legislation,

Old 01-01-2018, 09:35 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,373,680 times
Quote:

Sorry-but it was bad before this when our tax policy did exactly the same thing, but in reverse. Two residents with the exact same income, family situation and housing. Why should the person in the state with high local taxes contribute less in FEDERAL income tax than someone in a state with lower local taxes? Why should people in other states be expected to subsidise those people's high state taxes? Even more-why should renters in any state have to subsidise homeowners?

The real fear among those governors has nothing to do with the serfs paying more. It is that, because those people are no longer subsidised by other taxpayers-they fear that they will turn their attention to where it belongs. To the state, counties and cities that are charging exorbitant taxes. They fear that those taxpayers will demand that the taxing districts get their spending in order and offer more competitive tax rates in line with the rest of the country. They have reason for concern.

We finally have a system that is fair, or at least fairer, for everyone.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:37 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://thinkprogress.org/blue-state...-bc10df087477/

Democrats are the party of the rich and they will sue anyone who wants to close loopholes or limit deductions for the rich.

I guess now liberal, elite Democratic politicians in blue states now want to sue the federal government over President Trump's tax cuts because they closed tax loopholes and tax deductions for the rich.

I guess the Democrats are angry because tax deductions and now severely limited so that the vast majority of property taxes on mansions and estates and the state and local income taxes will be limited.

That makes no sense? The 16th Amendment made everyone the federal governments slave. Just get their state legislatures to vote to raise the taxes on those they envy.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,609,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://thinkprogress.org/blue-state...-bc10df087477/

Democrats are the party of the rich and they will sue anyone who wants to close loopholes or limit deductions for the rich.

I guess now liberal, elite Democratic politicians in blue states now want to sue the federal government over President Trump's tax cuts because they closed tax loopholes and tax deductions for the rich.

I guess the Democrats are angry because tax deductions and now severely limited so that the vast majority of property taxes on mansions and estates and the state and local income taxes will be limited.
pretty much what the red states did when Obama was in power. states don't like the fed telling what to do or giving them a hard time..

in fact from 2009 to 2017 Republicans ranted like lunatics claiming state rights were being abused and that Obama was unfair...

I am fine with my state spending a few bucks slapping trump around. In fact trumpism lost you guys the WA senate. mostly WA is internally split but with so much trump hate a red seat was flipped even with millions and millions in out of state money trying to save it....

i see nothing odd here and nothing that texas would not do..

Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You cant sue over horrible legislation,
actually you can, however it is not always in the best interest to do so. in this case, if the tax law works out as envisioned, and the democrat governors sue the feds over it, it will likely backfire on the democrats as they will be see as the party of higher taxes and less growth.

if the tax bill doesnt work as envisioned, then the republicans have a load stone hung around their necks for 2018, and the democrats can run on needing to repeal the lousy tax law.

chances are though that ir works as advertised and the democrats get stuck losing seats in congress.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:02 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,498,044 times
Help me understand why income and property taxes have been deductible on personal tax returns but not sales taxes? I don't think that was fair. I think all taxes paid by individuals at the state and local level should be deductible from Federal taxable income. If the congress wants to make income taxes progressive it should be on the net.

I am not sure of the statutory basis of the challenge by some states but once I heard that the Federal government could not tax payments made to local states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies