U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,311 posts, read 12,172,354 times
Reputation: 6126

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
actually they did.

just google "tribalism definition"

useage is flat the last decade or so...


now look how easy i killed your made up nonsense? stiffnecked, what you see here is just how wrong your worldview is. You thought it was or is an obama thing, when in fact it is widely used and has been for the longest time.

Your argument makes no sense. Just cause the word is defined doesn't mean anyone was using it. You can't even find a single example where anyone was using it on a newscast or in a political speech prior to 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2018, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,311 posts, read 12,172,354 times
Reputation: 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Lol... What?

You never used, or heard, the word "tribalism" before Obama?

That is certainly a new claim. A very easy to disprove one, at that.
One example, please where it was used in the public realm. A speech, a newscast, anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM
 
9,461 posts, read 2,305,702 times
Reputation: 4674
'Extreme tribalism' claws at the Republicans

Sykes is correct, of course.

The Republican party once had nobler goals (at least ostensibly), but following Trump's lead a new kind of people have swarmed into the party. Many had not voted in years, even decades. Not real Republicans, but they have infested the carcass.

The Republican party is rotting from the core, and oozing out a vile pus ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM
 
10,930 posts, read 5,011,295 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The divisions in the GOP are political, not tribal.

And the division isn't between party leaders. It isn't within Congress in any significant sense. The division is between GOP leaders and politicians and the political base that voted for Trump.

Trump is not a conventional Republican or Democrat.

He is a nationalist populist with white nationalist overtones.

That goes against the globalist, multiculturalist agenda of both political parties -- the Republican ideal of globalism being oligarchical capitalist in nature, the Democratic ideal of globalism being more socialist, but still oligarchical (elitist) and capitalist.

Why is so much of the Republican base -- and some Democrats also -- defecting from the two parties and voting for Trump?

Because they have watched the agendas of the two parties being put into effect for the last fifty years, feel that they have gotten nothing, and have had enough.

The Republicans either follow the Trump voters or their party is finished as far as winning the White House is concerned. They wouldn't have won the White House without Trump. In fact, without him, they were never going to win it again because of the demographic changes in this country.

The Democrats are betting that their tribal politics -- pandering to feminists, racial minorities, and non-white immigrants in particular -- is their ticket to permanent victory.

That remains to be seen.
Semantics...

You're actually agreeing with my core message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:19 AM
 
66,288 posts, read 30,193,250 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Op=delusional
OP and the linked article = projecting. It's a psychological term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM
 
26,353 posts, read 8,958,873 times
Reputation: 9162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
'Extreme tribalism' claws at the Republicans

Sykes is correct, of course.

The Republican party once had nobler goals (at least ostensibly), but following Trump's lead a new kind of people have swarmed into the party. Many had not voted in years, even decades. Not real Republicans, but they have infested the carcass.

The Republican party is rotting from the core, and oozing out a vile pus ...
Try to stay current that idea was so 1958.

Hollywood beat you to the plot with the Blob :



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUsyXQ8Wrs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM
 
8,890 posts, read 5,048,939 times
Reputation: 9242
Moore did not lose because of trump, Moore is well known here in Alabama, Moore lost because he is weird . He rode a horse to polling. He is reall off the rocket weird .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:31 AM
 
9,461 posts, read 2,305,702 times
Reputation: 4674
'Extreme tribalism' claws at the Republicans


The Republican party is rotting from the core, and oozing out a vile pus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Try to stay current that idea was so 1958.
Thanks for re-posting my point.

I stand by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:39 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
8,769 posts, read 4,039,086 times
Reputation: 7497
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Moore did not lose because of trump, Moore is well known here in Alabama, Moore lost because he is weird . He rode a horse to polling. He is reall off the rocket weird .
The thing is, Moore is a perfect representative of the current religious right. The fact that he rode a horse to the polls make perfect sense when you consider that his base longs to return to an idealized past. They hate the present and are terrified of the future. They want to return to a day when we were "one nation under the Southern Baptist God", women were in the kitchen, gays were in the closet, the church was the center of the community, and "those people" stayed on their side of the tracks. That's what Roy Moore stood for which in the grand scheme of things is a big part of what the modern Republican Party stands for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:41 AM
 
9,898 posts, read 3,254,177 times
Reputation: 7251
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Your argument makes no sense. Just cause the word is defined doesn't mean anyone was using it. You can't even find a single example where anyone was using it on a newscast or in a political speech prior to 2008.
oh please you failed to follow super simple instructions and then replied with bs.

so i will try again, but this time please try harder stiffneck.

google the word, click through look at the historical usage graph. it clearly shows the word is widely used for many many years and has NOT seen any real decline or growth in the last decade....

Now instead of attacking the messenger just try considering how your bias led you to this discussion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top