U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 03:58 PM

48,098 posts, read 45,475,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Liberals like poverty. They can't do anything to end it. They need the voter dependent on them.
And yet, alot of conservative states have high child poverty rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 04:06 PM

694 posts, read 234,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They demonize states like CA encouraging and supporting illegals who come here poor and add to the cost of a state. Texas encourages border control, CA likes their open borders.

Big difference.

Illegals here add tremendously to the poor problem and very expensive to provide services.

You missed the whole point of the thread starter though. We could sit here all day, and try to figure out why there’s poverty in certain states.

The point behind the thread starter was to try and pin the reasons on “liberals, as if “liberal” policies make CA some cesspool.
But, here’s my counter point….there’s several red states with worse child poverty rates. So, does that mean “conservative” policies are to blame?

So, if we're going to demonize CA....then let's also demonize the many other red states that rank so low in many areas as well.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM

51,918 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I'm curious why people are so concerned about illegal labor in CA, but not a single word about the illegal labor in, say, Texas; which is much worse than CA because in Texas there is a practice of not paying the illegals at all.

You basically just said that there are lots of illegal labor in TX but they tend not to pay them which means you think that the illegal migrants are somehow stupid, which I can assure you they are not. Let's just say that I think you just told a whoppa. Whoppa...whoppa...whoppa....

Lastly, it's a sad day when someone that no doubt considers themselves a progressive can't understand why people are concerned about exploited illegal labor and ALSO the downhill impact of low non-illegal labor wages is something we should concern ourselves with.

You seem to have a real ivory tower view of the US labor force illegal or otherwise.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:28 AM

4,786 posts, read 2,193,002 times
Why are people bringing up states like Mississippi and Kansas? Those states have been impoverished forever, but California was at one time the land of milk and honey. Why such a precipitous drop in just a couple of generations? Hmmmmm...

Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,440,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Most of them are illegals, so I really don't care.

...says a lot about the soul of the Nation nowadays.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:47 PM

9,623 posts, read 5,944,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You basically just said that there are lots of illegal labor in TX but they tend not to pay them which means you think that the illegal migrants are somehow stupid, which I can assure you they are not. Let's just say that I think you just told a whoppa. Whoppa...whoppa...whoppa....
This is why one needs to listen more and talk less, especially about subjects that one knows very little about.

Texas is the mother of illegals' exploitation. The illegals are not stupid but they are desperate. Some dude comes up to them and say he'll pay them X amount of dollar at the end of day, there is no guarantee they will get paid but they have no choice but to take a chance. Many times, they don't get paid and they can't go to the police. This is especially prominent in building construction, which is one reason why Texas housing is so cheap - free labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lastly, it's a sad day when someone that no doubt considers themselves a progressive can't understand why people are concerned about exploited illegal labor and ALSO the downhill impact of low non-illegal labor wages is something we should concern ourselves with.

You seem to have a real ivory tower view of the US labor force illegal or otherwise.

You seem to be under the impression that progressives are stubborn ideologues like most right-wingers. We are by nature practical people and we have found a middle ground that allows illegals to work, people to benefit, and most people in this system is ok with it. It's the right-wingers who are bitching about a system that is working.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:21 PM

36,802 posts, read 16,362,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
...says a lot about the soul of the Nation nowadays.

Huh? It's soulless to not want to support those in our country illegally?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM

11,063 posts, read 2,744,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Gorgeous coastline leading to great named cities like San Diego and Los Angeles. Nice weather, and fruit groves growing oranges. I would read about it, and wish I could get to see it.
Just heard how the majority of homeless alcoholics, drug addicts and mentally ill live in beach communities. I wonder how the residents who pay millions for their houses feel about this? At what point does common sense overcome virtue signaling liberalism? When the rich move out, who will pay the taxes? When people cry, "Tax the rich!" they forget that the rich can afford to move away.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 PM

5,269 posts, read 2,702,259 times
Its a simple equation. High Taxation + High Regulation = Less Jobs ----->Less Jobs=Less Tax Revenue -----> Less Jobs=More Poverty -----> More Poverty=More Welfare -----> More Welfare=Higher Taxes on Companies and Wealthy.....

What happens when you start bringing the taxes so high on citizens and companies that they finally pick up and leave???? Well. You only have people on welfare left, and 0 middle class. The economy won't sustain itself. Then it will collapse in taking care of a bunch of welfare recipients . Then the only people left will be homeless and illegals.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 AM

11,063 posts, read 2,744,308 times
It bugs me the way Loony Leftists make everything about feeeeeeeelings instead of logic. So the kids are living in poverty but their parents are well off? Should be 'families in poverty.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies