Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Good for Manafort. He's got the cake to sue Mueller into poverty. That's all that matters.
Manafort has nothing. He's already been indicted

Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Manafort has nothing. He's already been indicted
It's sort of a 'hail Mary' to see if they can draw into doubt the DOJ's own boundaries drawn to allow the special investigator to work.

Which is, umm, Trumps team.

Yeah, pretty dire attempt I'd say.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:41 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
And you might want to read the applicable law and Manafort's complaint. Rosenstein overstepped his authority, and Manafort has made a good argument that Mueller overstepped his.
Considering Rosenstein was the republican acting director of DOJ at the time he appointed republican Mueller to investigate, you'd think he would have asked his attorneys' advice before he rhetorically shot his mouth off. I guess they were all on vacation that week.

Mueller may have been appointed with the idea in mind that a fellow republican would treat the investigation with kid gloves. He is now a huge disappointment when he has four (count 'em, FOUR) of the lesser players duct taped and in stir , with two of them warbling pretty songs in his ear while he sips his tea.

If there is any disappointment with Rosenstein, it is the fact that he put a dog on the case who would jail his mother for jaywalking if he needed to. He performs his duties completely unaffected by the political proclivities of those under scrutiny.

The score stands at Mueller, four "Attaboys!". Rod and the administration, one "Aw, ****!".

Old 01-04-2018, 03:49 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
It's time for this charade to end. The Republicans in Congress are the reason why it continues. They should all be primaried and replaced.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:01 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I thought CNN was fake news?
You are correct.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It's time for this charade to end. The Republicans in Congress are the reason why it continues. They should all be primaried and replaced.
Four in custody and a truckload of indictments to come is hardly a "charade". This isn't a parlor game. This is our legal system at work determining guilt and innocence, just as it is supposed to.

Next it goes to the courts for evidence to be prevented and a final determination made. If there was no evidence that anyone had done anything wrong, no one would have been charged. It's that simple.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Keep reading 28 C.F.R 600.4

(b)Additional jurisdiction. If in the course of his or her investigation the Special Counsel concludes that additional jurisdiction beyond that specified in his or her original jurisdiction is necessary in order to fully investigate and resolve the matters assigned, or to investigate new matters that come to light in the course of his or her investigation, he or she shall consult with the Attorney General, who will determine whether to include the additional matters within the Special Counsel's jurisdiction or assign them elsewhere.

I didn't see any affidavit from Rod Rosenstein stating that the Manafort indictment was beyond the scope of the Special Counsel's jurisdiction.

Such is the controlling language, I would think, and will probably be the basis for dismissal of the suit.

I suppose it is akin to Ken Starr's special investigation of President Clinton, which initially was focused on Whitewater. We all know that it took unexpected twists and turns, eventually resulting in impeachment proceedings against the President for lying about his relationship with Ms. Monica. While I thought, back then, that it was nonsense, I do not recall thinking that Mr. Starr exceeded his authority. Same is true for the Watergate investigation, which itself became wide-ranging.

However, I do not blame Mr. Manafort for trying this legal avenue. If I were in his position, I would also file such a suit.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Such is the controlling language, I would think, and will probably be the basis for dismissal of the suit.
That doesn't work because those other matters weren't added to his jurisdiction, even if they could have been if Mueller had asked.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:24 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
That doesn't work because those other matters weren't added to his jurisdiction, even if they could have been if Mueller had asked.
And you know this how?

Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
The law has changed since then because that was such a fiasco.
Which law was changed since Ken Starr went on his big ole fishing expedition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies