Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 11:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times

Advertisements

People are bailing out of NJ, because of it. They better figure something out to keep their tax base there.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:19 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It looks like NJ may beat California to the punch in establishing Municipal Tax charities to get around the $10,000 state and property tax limitation.

Trump tax law has N.J. leaders talking big changes for state taxpayers

NJ towns and cities can establish charitable entities that will allow taxpayers to add taxes to a fund that would credit money and allow taxpayers a charitable deduction (which doesn't have a limitation on deductions) and circumvent the $10,000 limitation.

I find it interesting that the average deductions for Bergen County are > $28,000! That's a nice chunk of change!

Apparently some states have IRS-approved charities already in place and NJ figures the IRS can't object without doing away with all of them.

It just goes to prove that for every political action there is an equivalent political reaction.

Maybe the thought was, "charity begins at home" or better yet "with your home"! Or with NJ ...don't get mad - get even!
Wait a minute...

To "beat the tax" Jersey is going to make the local municipalities run on charitable donations instead of taxes?

I'm understanding this correctly?

Old 01-06-2018, 12:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Not under consideration? Lowering state taxes.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:22 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Not under consideration? Lowering state taxes.
BIG GOVT never thinks that way.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:29 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
BIG GOVT never thinks that way.
Report: Albany can save money by cutting police, fire, among others - Times Union

Apparently... NY thinks they can cut first responders in Albany to save money...

Eliminate 15 officers in the city's police force to save $1.6 million.

Reduce the number of firefighters by 27 over four years to save $1.2 million.

These are two of more than 50 recommendations in the long-awaited, state-ordered report completed by The PFM Group that aims to ease fiscal strains and ween the capital city off of state aid

The final suggestion of the report received Friday is a more common one: raise property taxes.

"The report provides ideas to draw from as the city examines potential cost-saving measures," said Brian Shea, Mayor Kathy Sheehan's chief of staff. "The premise of the report is providing us cost-saving options that would reduce our need for state aid. Some of the ideas we may agree with, and some we may not."

Here's an idea...

Try operating within a budget, you money hungry idiots.
Stop making everyone pay for your inability to operate within a budget without having to raise taxes and cut services... just a thought...

Old 01-06-2018, 01:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They will still pay LESS, unless they are many tens of thousands past 10k threshold, in which case, they are NOT middle class.

A single person making say 85k stands to pay 2k less in tax using tax tables. At an overall effective FIT rate of 13% of gross.

Lets suppose they had SALT of 15k. If they lost 5k of that at 25%, they lose 1,250 back, leaving them paying net $750 less FIT.

That would mean SALT for them must be 18% of Gross, most likely 30-35% of NET.

The BIG SALT losers are the 1%ers.

I'm not protecting them. Are you?

exactly...what we have today is the liberals DEFENDING the rich....

Old 01-06-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
exactly...what we have today is the liberals DEFENDING the rich....

Old 01-06-2018, 01:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The $10,000 cap on SALT tax deductions means that "the rich" will have to pay more taxes and Democrats don't like it. But wait...

1) I thought libs and Dems hated "the rich";
2) I thought libs and Dems loved higher taxes;

They're now plotting to continue funding their high tax gov't and get around paying their fair share to the federal gov't. Kirk Stark, a law prof at the University of CA came up with the idea to donate money to their state gov't, then let the gov't credit those donations against their state income taxes. The donations would qualify as charitable donations, which are still fully deductible on federal taxes. In effect, it preserves the state income tax deduction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/31/b...tates-law.html
I am one of those rich guys. I'm fine paying taxes around where I was paying, which was already high; I'm not that fine with a plan that specifically targets blue areas for increased "punishment" to subsidize tax breaks "gifts" to red states for further support.

With this tax plan, it is clear that Trump considers himself President for some, but not other parts of America.

And then you talk about how he's not divisive...lol

Old 01-06-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I am one of those rich guys. I'm fine paying taxes around where I was paying, which was already high; I'm not that fine with a plan that specifically targets blue areas for increased "punishment" to subsidize tax breaks "gifts" to red states for further support.
No target involved.

Your excess SALT is between you and your government.

It is not up to us to maintain an unfair subsidy to you to offset it.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:46 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

With this tax plan, it is clear that Trump considers himself President for some, but not other parts of America.

And then you talk about how he's not divisive...lol
What ? SALT has been rising for years and the Fed is getting less revenue because of it.
The limit seems fine and won't affect many since only 30% itemize.

If anything turn to your local government and start asking why are my taxes so high ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies