Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 03:30 PM

39,789 posts, read 26,271,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
To be a charity, it would have to be voluntary to pay it. With no loss of privileges, nor liens, for failing to do so.
That's actually a good point. So if the county makes itself a charity and individuals choose not to pay-there is nothing they can do. This could be entertaining.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:31 PM

33,734 posts, read 16,721,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Makes me wonder how many state officials will end up in prison for tax fraud.

Funny how all the rich in liberal states will try criminal acts to avoid paying their fair share.
should replace Oath of Office with Miranda rights reading

Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,438,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Not under consideration? Lowering state taxes.
The chances of lowering taxes in NJ are about as good as my chances of winning the Powerball or Megamillions jackpot next week. Who's going to volunteer to take a pay cut or fall on the economic sword? Nobody that I know! Teachers make a lot more in NJ than in NC and if they suddenly made NC salaries, the classrooms would be devoid of teachers in short order! In my old town in NJ, a patrolman with 5 years in the police department makes more money than the chief of police in my NC town. That's not likely to change anytime in the future.

I read in my old hometown paper that the new Governor of NJ, Phil Murphy lives in a 9.6 million dollar home and his property tax bill on this house was ~ $408,000 last year! So in his town the tax rate is about $4 per assessed $100! What would the property taxes be like on your home at this level? A $10,000 combined SALT deduction limit seems rather measly at his level!

Old 01-06-2018, 03:34 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,458,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Services will have to be cut. Less police, less support for the disabled, less firefighters as the race to the bottom of lower and lower taxes gathers pace. This is the libertarian way. Less support for the disabled and fewer cops on the beat = more freedom.
Wrong. This is the Democrats way of saying
Folks we pizzed too much money away on welfare and public works projects and because we screwed up and dropped the ball, you get to pay for it with either higher taxes or losing services that your high property taxes pay for.

You forget. I lived in NY and paid close attention to how the buck is passed there.

Perhaps they should have thought about this before StartUp NY and giving free SUNY college tuition and requiring and training police to administer Narcan on heroin junkies... just a thought...

Old 01-06-2018, 03:35 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,674,261 times
Lol, so their taxes are good until they actually have to pay them.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:10 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,065,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Services will have to be cut. Less police, less support for the disabled, less firefighters as the race to the bottom of lower and lower taxes gathers pace. This is the libertarian way. Less support for the disabled and fewer cops on the beat = more freedom.
So typical of the left...."people dying in the streets" whining.

Yeah..with so many layers of government workers the only ones cut will be the ones that count.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,674,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

Yeah..with so many layers of government workers the only ones cut will be the ones that count.
The gov does that on purpose, that way they can enact revenge on those who wanted the tax cuts. Rarely will you hear cutting non-essential services. Hell, even in the fed job I had once, they were cutting the field investigators all the while preserving the management staff and expanded the executive staff.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,438,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The gov does that on purpose, that way they can enact revenge on those who wanted the tax cuts. Rarely will you hear cutting non-essential services. Hell, even in the fed job I had once, they were cutting the field investigators all the while preserving the management staff and expanded the executive staff.
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:49 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,890,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

You just dont like to hear the consequences of the loss of tax revenue, thinking only services that you dont like will be cut. What will happen is of course that there will be across the board cuts, including fewer cops, fire fighters, less for the disabled and less for child protection services. You might claim that this means more freedom, and the libertarian crowd thinks so, but dont pretend that there wont be consequences as we engage in a race to the bottom towards lower taxes and more government by and for the super rich. Joe Sixpack does not factor into the concerns of the people who fund the political campaigns!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:56 PM

33,734 posts, read 16,721,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians!
During the blizzard, non essential state gov't staff were told do not come in.

Non essential staff should not be on the payroll period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.