Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 10:45 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No they aren't, and that claim is really easy to fact check so I'm not sure why you would try to make such a claim.

Population estimates, July 1, 2017, 9,005,644
Population estimates, July 1, 2016, 8,944,469
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NJ
Quote:
tom1944;50620003]NJ percentage increase was higher than 17 other States
The growth is in immigrants from foreign countries, not from other states.

That's great if they're bringing with them high end skills and formal educations and low birth rates. If not, what's good about that type of population growth?

Also, according to the IRS money is leaving the state. That's not a good thing, IMO.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I am one of those rich guys. I'm fine paying taxes around where I was paying, which was already high; I'm not that fine with a plan that specifically targets blue areas for increased "punishment" to subsidize tax breaks "gifts" to red states for further support.

With this tax plan, it is clear that Trump considers himself President for some, but not other parts of America.

And then you talk about how he's not divisive...lol
The only people "targeted" by the $10,000 SALT deduction cap are the rich. Why is the left/Dems suddenly all upset about taxing the rich? They've been demanding to tax the rich more for at least a decade. Trump does it, and now the left/Dems balk. Idiotic.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The only people "targeted" by the $10,000 SALT deduction cap are the rich. Why is the left/Dems suddenly all upset about taxing the rich? They've been demanding to tax the rich more for at least a decade. Trump does it, and now the left/Dems balk. Idiotic.
Because the idiot that they think he is just outsmarted them again...gave them what they CLAIM to want and then they realize they got suckerpunched.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:36 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
As a homeowner in a blue state (IL) who pays over $19,000/year in real estate tax (and we're far from having the highest tax bill on the block, that's well over $35,000/year), this will reduce home values, automatically generating less tax revenue for the bloated local government bureaucracies.

Someone has to rein them in. This will do it.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
I believe it is a mix of both. We have highly educated immigrants coming to NJ

Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
With NJ's population growth of educated workers they should see extra income and possibly lower their taxes.

Isn't that the way it should work?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 AM

26,459 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
We have no problems with guys like Buffet, Musk, Zuckerberg, etc. Liberals are for companies who really help the economy.

Right-wings on the other hand, seem to like hedge funds, old money, coal companies, and other businesses that make money by either destroying the earth or by moving money around without contributing much to society.
You are such a joke. 1st you lament that Trump lowered corporate taxes while at the same time are angered that California pays more per capita than the typical state in federal taxes BECAUSE of corporate taxes and taxing Apple, Netflix, Google, Facebook, Disney, etc...that make money in every county of every state.

Now you are acting as if hedgefunds don't donate to Hillary. You realize Wall Street threw more money at Hillary than Trump. More money at Obama than Romney. Obama supported QE trickle down to big banks and Wall Street....Romney opposed it.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/c...s?id=N00000019

P.S. Buffett invests in companies that move the earth and make coal - which supposedly doesn't contribute much to society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes he takes advantage of the tax code, he has been up front on that and critical of the current system that benefits billionaires like himself. Yes class warfare, billionaires criticizing billionaires. LOL
Quote:
He is not pandering and he is using the current tax code as designed, maybe he should start a one man revolution and pay more taxes. You should listen to billionaires when they educate you on the disparity in our current tax system, they have nothing to gain.
Quote:
His business model is built on buying successful undervalued companies and keeping their management in place, he is one of the most respected investors in the industry. His business model has nothing to do with taxes, he will succeed with or without tax code changes. He is number 1 on the philanthropy list and plans to give away his entire fortune so I think he does actually care.
Buffett is a hypocrite and has fooled you.

Perhaps we should raise taxes on the ultra rich, but Warren is either a major hypocrite or has gone bonkers.

Buffett's tax proposals wouldn't noticeably raise his own taxes. His income is mostly dividends, he wants to leave them alone. He wants to tax wealth, but not unrealized stock gains. He wants to tax estates when people die, but not unrealized stocks being handed to charities (his plan).

He claims his Secretary pays a higher effective tax rate...which ignores that his MULTIMILLIONAIRE secretary actually has a higher salary...he makes more income, off of the dividends he wants to continue sheltering. If she really does pay a 30% effective tax rate than she is way up in the 1% rich. He frames it as if his secretary is some $25K a year gal....not a person who has extreme wealth herself.

At the same time Buffett was begging that taxes be raised on the rich (just not on the rich like himself) he was spending money to lobby congress for MORE TAX WRITEOFFS FOR THE RICH...including tax deductions for those who own private Jets. Raise taxes on the rich - give private Jet owners tax breaks!!!

Warren Buffett's company owes over a Billionaire dollars in back taxes and is taking the government to court to try and lower the amount...by avoiding the taxes owed...his company can pay billionaires like himself more dividends, which he demands get taxed at lower rates...

Buffett is a hypocrite period.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ocrite-or-both

https://www.thenewamerican.com/revie...warren-buffett

Warren Buffett's NetJets defeats $500 million IRS tax claim | Fortune

https://www.newsmax.com/Headline/buf.../01/id/409520/

https://dailyreckoning.com/warren-bu...xtraordinaire/

Buffett: "My Multi-Millionaire secretary who takes a bigger salary than me pays more in salary taxes than me, we need to fix this by raising taxes on the ultra rich, just not on dividends, and unrealized gains, and so forth that would impact me...We must pay more, hold on while I spend millions to lawyers to lobby for tax breaks to private jet owners and spend millions in court to avoid paying the billion dollars my company owes in past taxes so they can keep paying the rich like me dividends that I don't want taxed at higher rates."

Liberals: "This guy makes a lot of sense he said wants taxes higher on the rich."

Old 01-07-2018, 08:12 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
The growth is in immigrants from foreign countries, not from other states.
That's great if they're bringing with them high end skills and formal educations and low birth rates. If not, what's good about that type of population growth?
Also, according to the IRS money is leaving the state. That's not a good thing, IMO.
Now I've heard it all, immigrants aren't included in determining the total population of a state unless they have high end skills and low birth rates...

Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 AM

57,223 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

Buffett is a hypocrite and has fooled you.

Perhaps we should raise taxes on the ultra rich, but Warren is either a major hypocrite or has gone bonkers.

Buffett's tax proposals wouldn't noticeably raise his own taxes. His income is mostly dividends, he wants to leave them alone. He wants to tax wealth, but not unrealized stock gains. He wants to tax estates when people die, but not unrealized stocks being handed to charities (his plan).

He claims his Secretary pays a higher effective tax rate...which ignores that his MULTIMILLIONAIRE secretary actually has a higher salary...he makes more income, off of the dividends he wants to continue sheltering. If she really does pay a 30% effective tax rate than she is way up in the 1% rich. He frames it as if his secretary is some $25K a year gal....not a person who has extreme wealth herself.

At the same time Buffett was begging that taxes be raised on the rich (just not on the rich like himself) he was spending money to lobby congress for MORE TAX WRITEOFFS FOR THE RICH...including tax deductions for those who own private Jets. Raise taxes on the rich - give private Jet owners tax breaks!!!

Warren Buffett's company owes over a Billionaire dollars in back taxes and is taking the government to court to try and lower the amount...by avoiding the taxes owed...his company can pay billionaires like himself more dividends, which he demands get taxed at lower rates...

Buffett is a hypocrite period.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ocrite-or-both

https://www.thenewamerican.com/revie...warren-buffett

https://www.newsmax.com/Headline/buf.../01/id/409520/

https://dailyreckoning.com/warren-bu...xtraordinaire/

Buffett: "My Multi-Millionaire secretary who takes a bigger salary than me pays more in salary taxes than me, we need to fix this by raising taxes on the ultra rich, just not on dividends, and unrealized gains, and so forth that would impact me...We must pay more, hold on while I spend millions to lawyers to lobby for tax breaks to private jet owners and spend millions in court to avoid paying the billion dollars my company owes in past taxes so they can keep paying the rich like me dividends that I don't want taxed at higher rates."

Liberals: "This guy makes a lot of sense he said wants taxes higher on the rich."
Buffett has consistently criticized income inequality and the current tax system, I don't quite understand where you arrive at hypocrisy. He is absolutely correct when he states this isn't tax reform, its a tax cut for the rich. He was also very critical of the changes to the estate tax and their creation of dynasties. He slowly giving away his fortune to charities and plans to give very little to his descendants.

The top 1% benefit the most from this tax cut, you should take note when some of them are honest enough to criticize something that they will benefit from.

Quote:
Buffett reserved particular criticism for the proposal to get rid of the estate tax, something that Trump and others have derided as the “death tax.” However, because the tax applies only to individuals with estates worth at least $5.49 million, or nearly $11 million per couple, he said: “It's not a death tax. It’s a very pejorative term. There are going to be 2.6 million people die this year in the United States, and there’ll be only about 5,000 tax returns on estates that pay tax.”
Buffett used his own situation to illustrate the impact of eradicating the estate tax. It would mean, he said, that he could leave all $75 billion of his wealth to 35 of his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren meaning they’d each have $2 billion. With a 5 percent interest rate, they could soon have $100 billion, he added.

“Is that a great way to allocate wealth in the United States?” he asked. Buffett went on to say that the plan would help create the sort of “dynastic system” that “goes totally against what’s built this country, what this country stands for"

Warren Buffett Slams Trump Tax Plan:

Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If you live in a 300 sq ft studio in NYC, the property tax alone hits the $10K max. If such person is "rich" in your book, then that is you opinion and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies