U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,072 posts, read 10,102,486 times
Reputation: 6983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This is the same guy that apparently wanted to turn the Charleston Church murders into a gun debate?



Pol: Charleston victims 'waited their turn to be shot' - CNNPolitics

The same guy who was against even having an open debate about whether to remove the Confederate flag from the State's Capitol building?

I wouldn't trust this guy. At. All. His judgement is questionable at best.
That's our boy. And he's one of the sane ones.

 
Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM
 
9,373 posts, read 10,156,763 times
Reputation: 7148
Its fascinating that so called scholars and history buffs continue to chase this apparition of a black confederate soldier. The Civil War is well documented. At last count there was over 25,000 books, diaries, writings , and primary sources on the Civil War. Every aspect of the war has been written about and black confederate "soldiers" would have been such a significant turn of events there would clear photographic and documentation of it during the war.
 
Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 AM
 
Location: SGV
24,678 posts, read 9,598,204 times
Reputation: 9692
The thread was closed but I already brought this up in August...

Statues/Monuments of Black Confederates: Stay or Go?

Blacks, regardless of numbers, fought for and supported the Confederacy...PERIOD. There are already monuments to some of them erected in the South.

So to recap:

Slavery is wrong. Fact.

Racism is wrong. Fact.

Blacks fought for the Confederacy. Fact.

I could never land Salma Hayek in the sack. Fact.

While the last two facts make me "uncomfortable" by some measure that doesn't negate their merit. THEY-ARE-TRUE.

Deal with it.
 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 AM
 
36,617 posts, read 16,016,925 times
Reputation: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
....there were none!

And as far as I know personally, there were none in the Confederacy PERIOD, but definitely not from any South Carolinian militias. Of course, I could’ve told these Republican lawmakers this a long time ago. African Americans as Confederate soldiers would’ve been totally oxymoronic to the cause. Why this fable continues to perpetuate itself is beyond me. It simply never happened. A few black ‘regiments ‘ (I guess) were put together at the end of the war, but the war was all but over by then. The black troops never did so much as pitch a tent in battle.

Hey fellas down in the S.C legislature...read a few books before you try something this silly again.



Republicans In South Carolina Want To Build A 'Black Confederates' Monument
"And as far as I know personally, there were none in the Confederacy PERIOD"

We get this a lot on these thread.

Because someone does NOT KNOW, they ASSUME it did not exist.

" A few thousand blacks did indeed fight for the Confederacy. Significantly, African-American scholars from Ervin Jordan and Joseph Reidy to Juliet Walker and Henry Louis Gates Jr., editor-in-chief of The Root, have stood outside this impasse, acknowledging that a few blacks, slave and free, supported the Confederacy."

"With the onset of war, their patriotic displays were especially strident. In early 1861 a group of wealthy, light-skinned, free blacks in Charleston expressed common cause with the planter class: “In our veins flows the blood of the white race, in some half, in others much more than half white blood. … Our attachments are with you, our hopes and safety and protection from you. … Our allegiance is due to South Carolina and in her defense, we will offer up our lives, and all that is dear to us.” In their show of support for the Confederacy, they were “race traitors.”"

https://www.theroot.com/yes-there-we...why-1790858546
 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Texas
35,127 posts, read 19,217,474 times
Reputation: 20738
Talking South Carolina lawmakers want to honor black Confederate soldiers, but there’s a problem...

Wannabe Johnny Rebs...

Always trying to sanitize the civil war.

FYI: the Confederacy got stomped.

Bigly

 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,072 posts, read 10,102,486 times
Reputation: 6983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And as far as I know personally, there were none in the Confederacy PERIOD"

We get this a lot on these thread.

Because someone does NOT KNOW, they ASSUME it did not exist.

" A few thousand blacks did indeed fight for the Confederacy. Significantly, African-American scholars from Ervin Jordan and Joseph Reidy to Juliet Walker and Henry Louis Gates Jr., editor-in-chief of The Root, have stood outside this impasse, acknowledging that a few blacks, slave and free, supported the Confederacy."

"With the onset of war, their patriotic displays were especially strident. In early 1861 a group of wealthy, light-skinned, free blacks in Charleston expressed common cause with the planter class: “In our veins flows the blood of the white race, in some half, in others much more than half white blood. … Our attachments are with you, our hopes and safety and protection from you. … Our allegiance is due to South Carolina and in her defense, we will offer up our lives, and all that is dear to us.” In their show of support for the Confederacy, they were “race traitors.”"

https://www.theroot.com/yes-there-we...why-1790858546
The Root has been thoroughly debunked. I have hunted for quite a while for pay vouchers, enlistment papers, rosters, or anything else that would prove it. If you have hard evidence, bring it. The only thing so far has been evidence of laborers in support of the white troops, but nothing that is conclusive proof of any Black man ever being formally considered a soldier by the Confederacy. They didn't legalize conscription of Blacks as soldiers until two months to the day before the Glorious Southern Surrender at Appamattox. It was a final move of desperation, and too late for any Black troops to be trained and field ready for the field as soldiers, if any were even conscripted, and there is no record of that extant.

I say it didn't happen. You say it did. What do you have besides The Root?
 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 AM
 
Location: SGV
24,678 posts, read 9,598,204 times
Reputation: 9692
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Root has been thoroughly debunked. I have hunted for quite a while for pay vouchers, enlistment papers, rosters, or anything else that would prove it. If you have hard evidence, bring it. The only thing so far has been evidence of laborers in support of the white troops, but nothing that is conclusive proof of any Black man ever being formally considered a soldier by the Confederacy. They didn't legalize conscription of Blacks as soldiers until two months to the day before the Glorious Southern Surrender at Appamattox. It was a final move of desperation, and too late for any Black troops to be trained and field ready for the field as soldiers, if any were even conscripted, and there is no record of that extant.

I say it didn't happen. You say it did. What do you have besides The Root?
Eyewitness accounts have Blacks with arms in battle and not on the Union side.

Perhaps they were just hunting rabbits as the white folks fought amongst themselves but that would be one helluva coincidence.
 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:45 AM
 
29,630 posts, read 16,372,388 times
Reputation: 13749
Certainly not out of the question as we see the effects of Stockholm syndrome here everyday i.e. americans going off to fight and die for causes that are contrary to their own well being.
 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:49 AM
 
Location: USA
7,479 posts, read 5,774,398 times
Reputation: 12320
Typical right-wingers - now looking for some other idiotic justification to erect more monuments to honor Confederate snowflakes. Always a new excuse with them, and we know full well this is not about "honoring blacks" but about praising the Confederacy and what it represents. They can't fix any of the problems in their messed-up states, but they are first when it comes to honoring bigotry.
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,072 posts, read 10,102,486 times
Reputation: 6983
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Eyewitness accounts have Blacks with arms in battle and not on the Union side.

Perhaps they were just hunting rabbits as the white folks fought amongst themselves but that would be one helluva coincidence.
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top