Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:07 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sorry. No hard evidence backs up that claim.

On this day in 1865, with the main Rebel armies facing long odds against must larger Union armies,the Confederacy, in a desperate measure,reluctantly approves the use of black troops.
Not by choice, mate.

They would have gone back to kicking the sh*t out of them after the war.

You know Germans utilized Political Prisoners, Gays, Jews etc to the fullest extent when they realized the war was basically lost? Unless they were dying and of were no use.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:47 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don’t need to link jack squat. We are talking about human beings. When have you ever had 100% agree on anything? I have history on my side.

Saying there were no loyal, black Confederate soldiers is ridiculous.
Too much answer, not enough info. If you don't have proof, just say so.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:40 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Link?
My post here in case you didn't see it.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
You’re not a psychoanalyst.

Stick to the facts. The CSA had no black troops.
Quote:
South Carolina, with all its resources, hasn’t found any.

Like you, I believe in the law of averages and Murphy’s Law...but that’s hardly a reason to build a monument.
I know you want to hold to your narrative, but there were blacks who voluntarily chose to fight with the confederacy. I am pretty sure many were forced, but there were some who served voluntarily. I supplied the info.

Like another poster stated... the is never 100% of a group of people that will side one way. Some supported the confederacy.

Also like I said yesterday - the list at the website are only about the ones we know about... not about those killed in battle or others who are nameless.

As far as South Carolina goes, they are looking to honor all blacks who served whether or not it was under compulsion. They didn't ask you for your criteria. They want to honor some black folks, and you are holding your breath because it messes with your line of thinking. Just let it go...

Old 01-06-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I just browsed over here... it literally took a 15 second Google search. Hit the State Records tab at the top and pick one of the 13 states - plenty of names to browse through.

Black Confederate Soldiers Website

This is not my endorsement of anything confederate... just providing info to the uninformed.
I've been through this website before. The closest thing to confirmed documentation is the 1st Louisiana Native Guard, but no information is given on how they were formed in 1861, since it was illegal under the laws of the Confederacy for a person of color to serve. Any ideas?

The other entries are one that is in dispute (The man wearing a Confederate uniform may have worn it long after the war, since the botom dropped out of cotton and new clothes were scarce), the other is for a manservant.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I know you want to hold to your narrative, but there were blacks who voluntarily chose to fight with the confederacy. I am pretty sure many were forced, but there were some who served voluntarily. I supplied the info.

Like another poster stated... the is never 100% of a group of people that will side one way. Some supported the confederacy.

Also like I said yesterday - the list at the website are only about the ones we know about... not about those killed in battle or others who are nameless.

As far as South Carolina goes, they are looking to honor all blacks who served whether or not it was under compulsion. They didn't ask you for your criteria. They want to honor some black folks, and you are holding your breath because it messes with your line of thinking. Just let it go...
In that case, they should erect a statue to Robert Smalls.

Smalls, Robert (1839-1915) | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
In that case, they should erect a statue to Robert Smalls.

Smalls, Robert (1839-1915) | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed
Why would they do that - if their goal is to support confederate causes?

Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Why would they do that - if their goal is to support confederate causes?
Why would they want to support Confederate causes, e.g., glorify slavery and a war lost by traitors who started it and got stomped into the mud? Smalls is a legitimate Black hero who escaped from slavery and became a sea captain, and was later elected to the S.C. House of Representatives. He is the sort of man who should have a statue erected, if the goal is to memorialize a Black leader. I think we all know, at least we here in South Carolina do, that that was never what the ones proposing a statue to "Black Confederate Soldiers" had in mind.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:27 AM

23,811 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
I've been through this website before. The closest thing to confirmed documentation is the 1st Louisiana Native Guard, but no information is given on how they were formed in 1861, since it was illegal under the laws of the Confederacy for a person of color to serve. Any ideas?

The other entries are one that is in dispute (The man wearing a Confederate uniform may have worn it long after the war, since the botom dropped out of cotton and new clothes were scarce), the other is for a manservant.
1st Louisiana Native Guard offered their services to the Confederacy. They were rejected. They were accepted by the Federal Armies. They served in the USCT.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:31 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Why would they want to support Confederate causes, e.g., glorify slavery and a war lost by traitors who started it and got stomped into the mud? Smalls is a legitimate Black hero who escaped from slavery and became a sea captain, and was later elected to the S.C. House of Representatives. He is the sort of man who should have a statue erected, if the goal is to memorialize a Black leader. I think we all know, at least we here in South Carolina do, that that was never what the ones proposing a statue to "Black Confederate Soldiers" had in mind.
Agree here, if the goal was to celebrate & memorialize a Black leader, Mr. Smalls would be an excellent candidate, particularly in South Carolina, although his courage & strength would be appreciated literally anyplace in the United States of America.

It would seem that's not what these shady characters had in mind, they just want to perpetuate the 'Lost Cause' mythologies. How unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies