Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 AM

29,405 posts, read 9,593,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Day after day nothing but good news about the economy, jobs, and new optimism after the disastrous Obama years.

Must be really tough for you to be eating that crow.

Rude, crude and altogether hard to stomach, but again entirely predictable...

Too bad we can't all be enjoying the economic winds to our backs that finally began to blow our way before Trump took office, but because we're so obsessed with winning vs losing, picking sides and throwing mud, we insist on repeating the same old nonsense as if we're not all "winning" and/or losing together.

No one who didn't vote for Trump is "eating crow" right now. No one who didn't vote for Trump is "eating" much of this sort of nonsense either, but clearly it makes you feel good to repeat it, over and over, as if the truth no longer matters, as if it makes no difference why we are enjoying good news, all of us.

All that matters to hard-core Trump supporters is the good news helps Trump look better than he deserves! But who cares? Trump is now in the enviable position of presiding over an economic upswing. Even more compelling is what seems to make Trump supporters feel better about themselves with this nonsense!

I've been very lucky many times in my life. I wish I could think like Trump supporters and believe I deserve the credit for that luck, but I'm not that self-centered or obsessed with "winning" such that I need to be constantly telling myself those kinds of lies...

Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,581,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes. Some of the stock market rise is from anticipation of higher corporate profits from reduced employee bargaining power (which means employees will be forced to work longer hours for lower pay). Profits will also increase from fewer consumer protections (hope you like unsafe stuff in your food and doctors pushing dangerous drugs). A big win for the plutocracy.

But hey, my 401k is up and I got a $1000 bribe to vote Republican (I mean bonus) from my employer, so it’s all good.
You may want to vote against Trump next time and stop the prosperity.
That will make the democrats look desirable.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:54 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,658,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000

They say it still has room to run !!!!

Go ahead 401K make my day !!!
So since the DOW is the metric, then you must really have loved Obama almost tripling it. Just to be ideologically consistent and all... which we know is a bit hard for most Trump supporters.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM

29,405 posts, read 9,593,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What President said “The Business of America is Business “?

Nice we have a President who understands that once again.
Wasn't it Rockefeller who said that? Or was it the President of Enron? No, wait, President of BP during the Prudhoe Bay disaster? Madoff?

Not sure for people who think there is more to America than just the almighty buck that the quote is considered a good thing, but no doubt the Greenback means more to lots of Americans than just about anything else...

Wouldn't it be great if we could measure our quality of life and prosperity in other ways too?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,385,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
It doesn't matter when it peaked under GWB....that peak wasn't what Obama inherited. What Obama inherited was a failing mess, and those are verifiable facts. The market was, jobs under GWB were at a LOSS per month and the housing market had many under water.

On the flip side, less jobs were being added under Trump and the market has standard gains....and everyone wants to throw a parade for Trump.
Ultimately-Obama lucked out. He inherited the economy during a recession. Had he done nothing and we had a normal recovery-like EVERY OTHER RECESSION and simply recovered back to where things had been during the peak of the Bush years (which isn't far from ALL that happened), he still wouldn't look too terrible. When Obama was elected the DOW was at 9k. It bottomed at ~6500 in March. Says a lot concerning confidence (or lack of) in his economic policies.

Trump had it tougher overall. He was elected with the DOW as high as it had ever been in Obama's entire time in office. Far harder to grow that much from a peak than to recover from a recession. The thing we can speculate is did Obama's policies help us economically or prolong the recession by years?

Old 01-04-2018, 12:01 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,254,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Except the recovery started under Obama, so while it is not accurate to give credit to the economy to ANY president, it is factually correct to say "the stock market started doing really well again under Obama and rose to new highs."

On the other hand, it is factually INCORRECT to pretend that Trump started at a terrible low in the market - unlike Obama - and somehow drove the market to new highs. The reality is that under Obama, the market recovered from a huge crash to new highs, while Trump is just riding along on Obama's coattails.
the market done very very well while obama was president and bar the first six weeks , never saw a 20% correction

the movement of the market however has been nothing short of phenomenal since trump won the election, he has made promises to the 1% however that obama did not and made it clear he will not be hard on big oil or big banks , both those were cheap for years

Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM

693 posts, read 355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ultimately-Obama lucked out. He inherited the economy during a recession. Had he done nothing and we had a normal recovery-like EVERY OTHER RECESSION and simply recovered back to where things had been during the peak of the Bush years (which isn't far from ALL that happened), he still wouldn't look too terrible. When Obama was elected the DOW was at 9k. It bottomed at ~6500 in March. Says a lot concerning confidence (or lack of) in his economic policies.

Trump had it tougher overall. He was elected with the DOW as high as it had ever been in Obama's entire time in office. Far harder to grow that much from a peak than to recover from a recession. The thing we can speculate is did Obama's policies help us economically or prolong the recession by years?
lol

Old 01-04-2018, 12:07 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,658,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

That just negated anything seemingly intelligent that you said. Poor Trumpo. Inheriting a financialy stable situation. If only he could have inherited one careening off a cliff like Obama. Geez. Another Trump fellator.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,837,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
That just negated anything seemingly intelligent that you said. Poor Trumpo. Inheriting a financialy stable situation. If only he could have inherited one careening off a cliff like Obama. Geez. Another Trump fellator.
The point is if you take over a rotten economy it is easier to improve than a good one. That is why China’s economy grows faster than ours.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,614,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A lot of people took the fall in the stock market from October 2007 to March 2009 when it went down 50%+. It took 4 years for the market to regain the previous high. However, a lot of people stayed out during this time because of fear.

So, it's quite possible that people are just now seeing green in their portfolio for the first time this decade.
i agree, and i believe there is a disproportionate number of conservatives who did not invest early into Bush's great recession. Not because they are dumb, but because the sentiment amongst tea party types was very negative and predicting doom daily.

I was lucky to be living in an area that did not suffer too much thus the local feeling was much more positive, as such myself and most people i knew where stuffing cash into markets early and often...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies