Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 02:50 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Wow almost 25,500!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Back to where we were 7 months ago......wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Trump controls the stock market via a system of levers and pulleys located in a secret compartment in the Oval Office. All presidents do this.
I am sure mightleavenyc agrees with you on that one.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You can't ignore that it ran up 35% from Election Day through year-end 2017. If anything, we went up too far, too fast, and I think it's great that we are holding steady. That shows real optimism surrounding Trump's pro-business platform.

IOW, you can't claim we should be up 10% 2018 YTD (what's that...an annual 20% return??) on top of a 35% growth the previous 14 months.
When everyone expects 20% annualized returns that's when it's most dangerous.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
When everyone expects 20% annualized returns that's when it's most dangerous.
Unless you parked your money with Buffet.

But a 10% return over a lifetime in the stock market is somewhat normal. If "normal" is 10%, then what is a booming economy? Is it 12%, 15%, 20% for a year or two??

Further down the same path, what is a booming economy when you are finally finished with most of the effects of a Great Recession? How about if you borrow 1.5 Trillion and give it away for free....should that increase the stock market?

All this shows the folly of the OP...after all, he didn't post it thinking that we'd be 7 months later and LOWER than we were in Jan.

I never listen to the drivel....I just look over the long term and, any way I measure it now, if Trump is "greatest" on the economy, then Obama is the "double Greatest"....YTD I am up 3%, but 5 years (obviously mostly Obama and his after-affects) is 14% per year.

I'm happy with 10 or 11 in my active accounts (less conservative)....

Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
I applaud most of what Trump has done so far. I especially like that he doesn't let the morons push him around. He gives them the finger if they deserve it, unlike Bush used to do--which is to sit there and let people lie about him and dishonor him and do NOTHING.

And yes, the economy is good right now.

However, that being said, I wouldn't crow too loudly. Pride cometh before the fall. The economy is and always has been, volatile. What goes up must come down. Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't attach it to Trump so securely that when it does come down, he's the one standing there holding the bag.

There is a lot more to an economy than the president, and although his policies have no doubt boosted it, there are always other forces at work. Among them are "dark forces." A certain segment of our population would like nothing more than to have a catastrophic economic meltdown about now. If they could figure a way to cause it, they'd be on it in a heartbeat. So don't forget "natural forces" that steer the economy and "dark forces" that could come up with a manufactured meltdown at any time.

Again... don't crow too loudly and get too COCKY!

Old 08-02-2018, 06:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Those who say Trump doesn't move the market should look closely. Based on the actual economy, this market should easily be into double digits YTD. Look at Apple and Tesla and all other others - big time positive reports.

But, he's a "cornered beast" due to Manafort Trial and other events and seems to be acting like a Primate throwing Feces. He's definitely started a trade war.....threatening 25% tariffs on ALL products from China. We know most of it is BS, but the markets have to react.

As a result, the DOW is about zero for the YTD. That isn't a "great" market. That is horrible, considering the actual numbers companies are showing. If we want to give Trump credit we can do so for him holding back the market about 10%.....or 7% if one is really conservative...

Having a POTUS that gives people the finger is not a positive, but I suppose it would be impossible for those who think such behavior is normal to see this.

If anything, this is a buying opportunity because if and when we get rid of Trump or somehow quiet him (the primate thing again), the markets will likely boom. Given our history, I'd say there is about a 75% chance this is a good buying opportunity.

But there is the risk of Trump pushing various buttons (including the nuke one) that could blow up more than a target....

It's probably a good time for options traders but I don't feel like studying that hard....so will have to wait until Trump is outa there or so discredited that markets stop reacting...

Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I applaud most of what Trump has done so far. I especially like that he doesn't let the morons push him around. He gives them the finger if they deserve it, unlike Bush used to do--which is to sit there and let people lie about him and dishonor him and do NOTHING.

And yes, the economy is good right now.

However, that being said, I wouldn't crow too loudly. Pride cometh before the fall. The economy is and always has been, volatile. What goes up must come down. Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't attach it to Trump so securely that when it does come down, he's the one standing there holding the bag.

There is a lot more to an economy than the president, and although his policies have no doubt boosted it, there are always other forces at work. Among them are "dark forces." A certain segment of our population would like nothing more than to have a catastrophic economic meltdown about now. If they could figure a way to cause it, they'd be on it in a heartbeat. So don't forget "natural forces" that steer the economy and "dark forces" that could come up with a manufactured meltdown at any time.

Again... don't crow too loudly and get too COCKY!
If there is anyone who has no intention of heeding your advice it's Trump.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Those who say Trump doesn't move the market should look closely. Based on the actual economy, this market should easily be into double digits YTD. Look at Apple and Tesla and all other others - big time positive reports.

But, he's a "cornered beast" due to Manafort Trial and other events and seems to be acting like a Primate throwing Feces. He's definitely started a trade war.....threatening 25% tariffs on ALL products from China. We know most of it is BS, but the markets have to react.

As a result, the DOW is about zero for the YTD. That isn't a "great" market. That is horrible, considering the actual numbers companies are showing. If we want to give Trump credit we can do so for him holding back the market about 10%.....or 7% if one is really conservative...

Having a POTUS that gives people the finger is not a positive, but I suppose it would be impossible for those who think such behavior is normal to see this.

If anything, this is a buying opportunity because if and when we get rid of Trump or somehow quiet him (the primate thing again), the markets will likely boom. Given our history, I'd say there is about a 75% chance this is a good buying opportunity.

But there is the risk of Trump pushing various buttons (including the nuke one) that could blow up more than a target....

It's probably a good time for options traders but I don't feel like studying that hard....so will have to wait until Trump is outa there or so discredited that markets stop reacting...
Seems you're all over the board with this comment, but markets will never stop reacting, to; global economic trends, domestic economic indicators, consumer spending, interest rates, cost of crude, currency valuations, employment numbers, inflation rates, tax levels, labor disputes, trade balances, commodity prices, what the Fed will do, earnings reports, military conflicts, natural disasters, etc., just for starters, and yes..., politics that affect any of the above.

Amidst all these factors, what credit anyone wants to give the POTUS is rarely backed up with any sort of real justification and usually not much more than a partisan shell game.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:17 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Serious question: do you think it's appropriate for a US President to give the finger to the citizens he has been tasked with governing?

Old 08-03-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Serious question: do you think it's appropriate for a US President to give the finger to the citizens he has been tasked with governing?
Good question. I think the answer depends on who you ask...

There are lots of people who feel Trump is doing exactly as you suggest, but we also know lots of people felt Obama was doing the same thing to them, for all variety of reasons, so maybe this is a good question but maybe there are better questions and/or ways to evaluate whether a POTUS is doing right or wrong for Americans.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:33 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
All I can say is, look at the chart in this article comparing the price of silver to the current stock market. Of course, there's no guarantee history will repeat itself, but their similarities makes you wonder:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...way-2018-08-03
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies