U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 3,218,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Obviously....the liberal states have always done the hard work while the others simply pumped oil from the ground or mined stuff...

But that never stopped them from taking credit for "the economy".....after all, once you have lied and misled a few thousand times, what's a few more?
You're not helping any by keeping a thread with this sort of title alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:52 AM

26,635 posts, read 9,061,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You're not helping any by keeping a thread with this sort of title alive.
You are !!!

Facts got ya down or ...............what exactly ?

Meanwhile the market is headed south for the day so far. Anyone care to celebrate ?

25,000 is in sight again. I may find a buy in point.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:15 AM

15,182 posts, read 4,011,322 times
Just a quick reminder - Bill Clinton - MAGA.....these are the returns during his reign. I'm not even going to attempt to do the compounded numbers, but suffice it to say they are MANY TIMES what returns will be during the Dumps reign. Look at those numbers. Wow......just doing a quickie compounding on them averaging.....that's a 450% increase. For the math challenged, that would mean about DOW 90,000 would equal Bill Clintons years. Are we headed that way? A long way to go....

1993 10.08
1994 1.32
1995 37.58
1996 22.96
1997 33.36
1998 28.57
1999 21.05

Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 AM

2,963 posts, read 3,055,275 times
Quote:
I agree 100%, which is why I earlier quoted 5 year, 10 year and since 2003. Based on that we are doing average.....right?

<cut for space>
If we simply declared the best president on the economy is always the one where the DJIA is the highest... then the current President should always be the best ever. Generally speaking, the markets trend upwards over long periods of time. Man, that FDR - terrible president. Worst ever. The DJIA was only 1000 when he was President. Failure! Sad...

I think you hit the nail on the head. I've also said it on other threads, but it tends to fall on deaf ears. Major economic indicators pretty much show a continuation of the last 10 years. How come the inadequate Obama economy is suddenly the "Bestest evah" Trump Economy? Unemployment rates is a clear trendline down, markets gaining at similar rates, GDP has had a spike... but for the "greatest president ever" shouldn't there be GDP greater than Obama's 4.9% in Q3 2014?

There is no doubt that 4%+ GDP last quarter is great. It is great. Look at the GDP chart here:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GDP

Set the bounds to 2009 to present. It is pretty much a straight line.

The economy was doing better before Trump started hitting buttons and pulling random levers. Tax cuts and tariffs stalled a booming economy.

I'm still waiting for middle class incomes to spike. Corporations are making more money due to the steepest tax cuts favoring them. Where's that trickle down that was the premise for these tax cuts to the 1%? The middle class is still waiting to reap the benefits...

Old 08-14-2018, 10:18 AM

11,383 posts, read 5,963,531 times
Quote:
Just a quick reminder - Bill Clinton - MAGA.....these are the returns during his reign. I'm not even going to attempt to do the compounded numbers, but suffice it to say they are MANY TIMES what returns will be during the Dumps reign. Look at those numbers. Wow......just doing a quickie compounding on them averaging.....that's a 450% increase. For the math challenged, that would mean about DOW 90,000 would equal Bill Clintons years. Are we headed that way? A long way to go....

1993 10.08
1994 1.32
1995 37.58
1996 22.96
1997 33.36
1998 28.57
1999 21.05
Don't forget, it wasn't Clinton that invented the Internet, that was Al Gore, so he gets the credit for this if you wan't to play this incredibly ignorant game of who to falsely assign credit to for individuals running successful businesses over an arbitrary period of time.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You are !!!

Facts got ya down or ...............what exactly ?

Meanwhile the market is headed south for the day so far. Anyone care to celebrate ?

25,000 is in sight again. I may find a buy in point.
You are right of course...

Then again, how many times have I noted how these threads and comments don't make a bit of difference to anyone? Don't know of any threads that prove that truth better than this one.

I wish you could understand how silly your comments tend to be when it comes to all I have tried to explain to you along with others in this thread. All to no avail of course, and even if no one wants to listen to other than their own choir, repeating ourselves is even more silly. So I won't.

Facts got me down? I can't even understand what that question can mean all considered. You mean the fact the stock market is up? I'm certainly enjoying a better ROI than when the markets are down. Again it's awfully hard to make sense of your comments and/or logic here, but next is the easier question to understand.

"Anyone care to celebrate?"

Not me, for reasons I doubt you would understand any better, but over the course of many years following the markets and investing, I know better than to celebrate the ups or overreact to ups or downs in general.

Good luck with your effort to "find a buy point" right now. Are you celebrating these highs while looking for a "buy in point" when for many who are truly enjoying handsome returns bought in a long time ago? For most people who did invest at the right time some time ago, the question is more about when to sell, "profit taking," and then to buy in again when that time is done.

Trying to "time the market" is a fool's game however, so again..., good luck with that.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Don't forget, it wasn't Clinton that invented the Internet, that was Al Gore, so he gets the credit for this if you wan't to play this incredibly ignorant game of who to falsely assign credit to for individuals running successful businesses over an arbitrary period of time.
Some people prefer games of pure chance and others prefer games of skill. Would be interesting to see research into why people are different in this regard. I have a guess or two...

Just FYI. I agree with you, and you're wasting your time.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM

11,383 posts, read 5,963,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Some people prefer games of pure chance and others prefer games of skill. Would be interesting to see research into why people are different in this regard. I have a guess or two...

Just FYI. I agree with you, and you're wasting your time.
Like they say, if you are good at something stick with it, its a skill I've mastered over my lifetime.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Like they say, if you are good at something stick with it, its a skill I've mastered over my lifetime.
My dad used to tell me, if you try hard at something and don't succeed, try something else!

Something I need to remember as I sign off now before wasting any more of my time today...

Old 08-14-2018, 11:50 AM

15,182 posts, read 4,011,322 times
I just did something I have never done before.....SOLD a vast amount of the investments in my IRA.

Since it is non-taxable event, I have nothing to lose in that department. Trump is certainly mucking with the world and I just don't trust chaos created by know-nothings to work out well.

I could be wrong. But just to be safe I'm not going to keep as much invested when Tweets made on the John are upsetting the markets. I'm getting the "cornered rat" vibe from Trump....and one thing most can agree on is that he could care less about others and the equity and bond markets. After all, he's really never invested in them (if he had, he'd be worth many many times what he lost/made in Real Estate)...

His interest seems to be making sure that he and his family avoid the current investigations....

Worse comes to worse, I'll put that money back into something. But Trump is throwing bombs and sooner or later, one will find the wrong target and could set off a panic.

MUCH larger odds, IMHO, than the Great Recession (which had amazingly low odds of occurring)....

That's my take. I've been investing since about 1981 and this is the first time I have felt this way - so it's certainly not a partisan issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies