U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM
 
26,635 posts, read 9,067,091 times
Reputation: 9279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You are right of course...

Then again, how many times have I noted how these threads and comments don't make a bit of difference to anyone? Don't know of any threads that prove that truth better than this one.

I wish you could understand how silly your comments tend to be when it comes to all I have tried to explain to you along with others in this thread. All to no avail of course, and even if no one wants to listen to other than their own choir, repeating ourselves is even more silly. So I won't.

Facts got me down? I can't even understand what that question can mean all considered. You mean the fact the stock market is up? I'm certainly enjoying a better ROI than when the markets are down. Again it's awfully hard to make sense of your comments and/or logic here, but next is the easier question to understand.

"Anyone care to celebrate?"

Not me, for reasons I doubt you would understand any better, but over the course of many years following the markets and investing, I know better than to celebrate the ups or overreact to ups or downs in general.

Good luck with your effort to "find a buy point" right now. Are you celebrating these highs while looking for a "buy in point" when for many who are truly enjoying handsome returns bought in a long time ago? For most people who did invest at the right time some time ago, the question is more about when to sell, "profit taking," and then to buy in again when that time is done.

Trying to "time the market" is a fool's game however, so again..., good luck with that.
I remember starting out investing, I thought, I going to learn as much as I can and that knowledge would get me where I wanted to go. A winning portfolio with fat profits. After a few years I realized the more I know, the less I knew. I would need three lifetimes and still come up short on learning everything.
I simply wasn't ever going to learn everything even in one lifetime. Learning as much as I could wasn't the answer that was going to get me to my goal.
It was time to wise up and develop a style that would work for me. It won't work for anyone else unless they are exactly like me. My interest, my time, my money, my efforts, my goals, my accounts. Fact is there is no one like me just as it can be said about everyone else. People are different and styles are different and situations are different.
I have no interest in telling people to listen to me or that what I do will be right for them also. To me that would be foolish, maybe even harmful to others. I'm not looking for an investment guru nor do I wish to be one either.
I don't celebrate regardless of the direction of the market. Keeping emotion out of investing works for me but might not for others. Some people just aren't made that way but its doesn't mean they can't be successful.

Here is what you say, from what I put in bold in your post, its out of context for illustration purpose ( my comments will be in () ):

1) I have tried to explain to you

( how nice, happy to listen )

2) I can't even understand

( Question it, rely on your own answer not mine )

3) awfully hard to make sense of your comments and/or logic here

( how could you, your not me )

4) I know better

( I bet you do, for you, but not for me. )

5) For most people

( I invest for me, not most people )

6) invest at the right time some time ago

( really think you can decide what the right time is for everyone or anyone but yourself )

7) the question is more about when to sell, "profit taking," and then to buy in again when that time is done.

( I have already stated in prior post I exited the market in the spring. Half the question you find important is in my rearview mirror.
I have what I call a gift account I'm looking for a buy in on. I'm looking for a buy in below where I sold in the spring. Its not an account I depend on in retirement to live off of.
It pays for extra vacation money, family gifts like birthdays and all kinds of presents to grandkids etc...
It started as a fun little idea but I treat it as serious as if it was my last dollar and have done quite well with it IMO. )

I keep things simple, for me all Presidents get credit & blame for what happens on their watch, period.
If the glass is half full or half empty is up to the individual. Government policy does have an impact on the markets as do many, many other things. I never made a dime knowing that.

Last edited by phma; 08-14-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 AM
 
15,182 posts, read 4,018,099 times
Reputation: 10975
Well, I guess selling wasn't such a bad idea! Looks like we might break 25K on the down side....and we have seen nothing yet. As mentioned, sooner or later Trump will throw his bombs in the wrong direction and we'll see 10, 20 or even 30% reductions. I should say "we could see".....the markets might laugh him off.

But no one of sound mind could say he is helping the economy. At best it will shrug him off...but the odds of that get lower as he is backed into a corner with all the investigations and exposures. He doesn't care about bringing the world down with him - in fact, he's exactly that type of person who would say "I'm going down, and so are all of you".....

While there is no such thing as true market timing, there IS such a thing as seeing a country in chaos and understanding that it could upset the markets. I'm not betting on disaster (still have most money invested), but am pulling back until we have a sane and stable admin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Right here; Right now
8,750 posts, read 4,439,055 times
Reputation: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, I guess selling wasn't such a bad idea! Looks like we might break 25K on the down side....and we have seen nothing yet. As mentioned, sooner or later Trump will throw his bombs in the wrong direction and we'll see 10, 20 or even 30% reductions. I should say "we could see".....the markets might laugh him off.

But no one of sound mind could say he is helping the economy. At best it will shrug him off...but the odds of that get lower as he is backed into a corner with all the investigations and exposures. He doesn't care about bringing the world down with him - in fact, he's exactly that type of person who would say "I'm going down, and so are all of you".....

While there is no such thing as true market timing, there IS such a thing as seeing a country in chaos and understanding that it could upset the markets. I'm not betting on disaster (still have most money invested), but am pulling back until we have a sane and stable admin.
Oh, you're going to be waiting for a long long time, sane and stable has yet to describe any POTUS administration ... there is no such monkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,032 posts, read 34,328,004 times
Reputation: 10462
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, I guess selling wasn't such a bad idea! Looks like we might break 25K on the down side....and we have seen nothing yet.
Below 25K again

It seems we are stuck at this number. Zero gains in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 AM
 
26,635 posts, read 9,067,091 times
Reputation: 9279
Has anyone ever heard " don't try to catch a falling knife"

Yet here I am looking for a buy in point.

Another saying : Timing the market is a bad idea.

Another saying : Buy at the lows and sell at the highs.

It seems there is a saying for every situation and sometimes they conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM
 
Location: SC
8,792 posts, read 5,655,771 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Has anyone ever heard " don't try to catch a falling knife"

Yet here I am looking for a buy in point.

Another saying : Timing the market is a bad idea.

Another saying : Buy at the lows and sell at the highs.

It seems there is a saying for every situation and sometimes they conflict.
Here are a few more asinine statements for you...
  • President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000
  • They say it still has room to run !!!!
  • Go ahead 401K make my day !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM
 
26,635 posts, read 9,067,091 times
Reputation: 9279
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Here are a few more asinine statements for you...
  • President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000
  • They say it still has room to run !!!!
  • Go ahead 401K make my day !!!
America is the land of opportunity and the sky is the limit !!!

There is a huge line to get in. Not so much to get out.

Some people have been saying the president doesn't have much of an effect on markets.

Others say Obama gets all the credit. Trump gets none of it b/c he hasn't done anything.

The truth won't be known until Trump leaves office sometime around 2024


Some people consider the odds. Seasonal Patterns In Stock Markets: 319 Years Of Evidence
Powerful information for those who can dry their eyes long enough to read it.
What are the odds of that I wonder ?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/118...rs-of-evidence

Since 1950, being out of the market 6 months from May to October would have avoided a 10% loss, and above all would have avoided major drawdowns, both in depth and in length.

Last edited by phma; 08-15-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM
 
12,687 posts, read 3,222,369 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I remember starting out investing, I thought, I going to learn as much as I can and that knowledge would get me where I wanted to go. A winning portfolio with fat profits. After a few years I realized the more I know, the less I knew. I would need three lifetimes and still come up short on learning everything.
I simply wasn't ever going to learn everything even in one lifetime. Learning as much as I could wasn't the answer that was going to get me to my goal.
It was time to wise up and develop a style that would work for me. It won't work for anyone else unless they are exactly like me. My interest, my time, my money, my efforts, my goals, my accounts. Fact is there is no one like me just as it can be said about everyone else. People are different and styles are different and situations are different.
I have no interest in telling people to listen to me or that what I do will be right for them also. To me that would be foolish, maybe even harmful to others. I'm not looking for an investment guru nor do I wish to be one either.
I don't celebrate regardless of the direction of the market. Keeping emotion out of investing works for me but might not for others. Some people just aren't made that way but its doesn't mean they can't be successful.

Here is what you say, from what I put in bold in your post, its out of context for illustration purpose ( my comments will be in () ):

1) I have tried to explain to you

( how nice, happy to listen )

2) I can't even understand

( Question it, rely on your own answer not mine )

3) awfully hard to make sense of your comments and/or logic here

( how could you, your not me )

4) I know better

( I bet you do, for you, but not for me. )

5) For most people

( I invest for me, not most people )

6) invest at the right time some time ago

( really think you can decide what the right time is for everyone or anyone but yourself )

7) the question is more about when to sell, "profit taking," and then to buy in again when that time is done.

( I have already stated in prior post I exited the market in the spring. Half the question you find important is in my rearview mirror.
I have what I call a gift account I'm looking for a buy in on. I'm looking for a buy in below where I sold in the spring. Its not an account I depend on in retirement to live off of.
It pays for extra vacation money, family gifts like birthdays and all kinds of presents to grandkids etc...
It started as a fun little idea but I treat it as serious as if it was my last dollar and have done quite well with it IMO. )

I keep things simple, for me all Presidents get credit & blame for what happens on their watch, period.
If the glass is half full or half empty is up to the individual. Government policy does have an impact on the markets as do many, many other things. I never made a dime knowing that.
You have a penchant for explaining the unnecessary, and again rather than repeat myself about that, I'll let my prior comments speak for themselves. I also have no notion this is anything but wasted time, but I do have an inclination to clear up misunderstanding where it is obviously needed...

For starters, you replied to my comment and asked if the facts had me down. I explained how the question made little sense. Your further "advice" noted as item #2 above makes even less sense, try as I might to give you some credit for trying to explain yourself. Clearly, I can't help you any here, but this mind meld game of yours is not one I am inclined to play. Make yourself clear or don't, but don't make me guess your point. No, facts don't get me down. That's my answer and bottom line with respect to the question you asked me, best I can understand it. Simple as that.

As for all the rest, listen. We all know anyone can comment as they wish, invest as they wish, do what they wish without necessarily having to make sense to anyone else. Again no need to explain the obvious along those lines. You want to bet on the ponies based on which names sound the most lucky to you? Of course, as you wish. I'm not addressing anyone's unique personal preferences or inclinations other than as they relate to more professional agreed upon investment strategy, very generally speaking. Understand?

Ultimately, what brought me to this thread was the misguided title, coupling Trump with today's economy. You obviously have your own unique take on all that sort of thing and of course that's your prerogative. You want to argue that you can have whatever opinion you like, invest in whatever way you like, for whatever your reasons? Of course you can.

You're argument, however, is forever about what you can and will do no matter what anyone else thinks, no matter contrary opinion, but that's not my argument. My argument(s) are about what makes sense all considered in terms of what advice or lessons learned apply to all of us generally speaking, like trying to time the market for example.

You, others, may feel they can "read the tea leaves" in their own special way, and of course this too is their prerogative! I'm not interested in any back-or-forth about that! My interest and my comments are focused on what makes sense for all of us generally speaking and what doesn't. Then too, why or why not. That's what my comments are about when it comes to what credit Trump gets for the economy. Yes of course all presidents get credit for what happens on their watch. "The buck stops here" sort of thing, but this doesn't mean more discerning minds are not going to evaluate what credit is due (or not), or we end up drawing false even dangerous conclusions. 9/11 happened on GW's watch, for example. Does this mean GW is to blame? If so, why? If not, why? That's the sort of evaluation all these subjects require not quite so simple as you prefer.

This too is the focus of my comments related to investment strategy, assuming the goal for all of us when investing is to make money rather than lose it. The latter topic is more appropriately discussed in another sub-forum and/or thread, but about that too, up to you of course! All as you wish, but think or pretend you are making as much sense as you think you are? I'd think again...

I suspect my time here is drawing to a close in any case, so don't let me ruin your fun any. Certainly today I've got to move onto something that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: SC
8,792 posts, read 5,655,771 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
America is the land of opportunity and the sky is the limit !!!

There is a huge line to get in. Not so much to get out.

Some people have been saying the president doesn't have much of an effect on markets.

Others say Obama gets all the credit. Trump gets none of it b/c he hasn't done anything.

The truth won't be known until Trump leaves office sometime around 2024


Some people consider the odds. Seasonal Patterns In Stock Markets: 319 Years Of Evidence
Powerful information for those who can dry their eyes long enough to read it.
What are the odds of that I wonder ?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/118...rs-of-evidence

Since 1950, being out of the market 6 months from May to October would have avoided a 10% loss, and above all would have avoided major drawdowns, both in depth and in length.
None of which has anything to do with your nonsensical and partisan cheerleading in to OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM
 
26,635 posts, read 9,067,091 times
Reputation: 9279
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You have a penchant for explaining the unnecessary, and again rather than repeat myself about that, I'll let my prior comments speak for themselves. I also have no notion this is anything but wasted time, but I do have an inclination to clear up misunderstanding where it is obviously needed...

For starters, you replied to my comment and asked if the facts had me down. I explained how the question made little sense. Your further "advice" noted as item #2 above makes even less sense, try as I might to give you some credit for trying to explain yourself. Clearly, I can't help you any here, but this mind meld game of yours is not one I am inclined to play. Make yourself clear or don't, but don't make me guess your point. No, facts don't get me down. That's my answer and bottom line with respect to the question you asked me, best I can understand it. Simple as that.

As for all the rest, listen. We all know anyone can comment as they wish, invest as they wish, do what they wish without necessarily having to make sense to anyone else. Again no need to explain the obvious along those lines. You want to bet on the ponies based on which names sound the most lucky to you? Of course, as you wish. I'm not addressing anyone's unique personal preferences or inclinations other than as they relate to more professional agreed upon investment strategy, very generally speaking. Understand?

Ultimately, what brought me to this thread was the misguided title, coupling Trump with today's economy. You obviously have your own unique take on all that sort of thing and of course that's your prerogative. You want to argue that you can have whatever opinion you like, invest in whatever way you like, for whatever your reasons? Of course you can.

You're argument, however, is forever about what you can and will do no matter what anyone else thinks, no matter contrary opinion, but that's not my argument. My argument(s) are about what makes sense all considered in terms of what advice or lessons learned apply to all of us generally speaking, like trying to time the market for example.

You, others, may feel they can "read the tea leaves" in their own special way, and of course this too is their prerogative! I'm not interested in any back-or-forth about that! My interest and my comments are focused on what makes sense for all of us generally speaking and what doesn't. Then too, why or why not. That's what my comments are about when it comes to what credit Trump gets for the economy. Yes of course all presidents get credit for what happens on their watch. "The buck stops here" sort of thing, but this doesn't mean more discerning minds are not going to evaluate what credit is due (or not), or we end up drawing false even dangerous conclusions. 9/11 happened on GW's watch, for example. Does this mean GW is to blame? If so, why? If not, why? That's the sort of evaluation all these subjects require not quite so simple as you prefer.

This too is the focus of my comments related to investment strategy, assuming the goal for all of us when investing is to make money rather than lose it. The latter topic is more appropriately discussed in another sub-forum and/or thread, but about that too, up to you of course! All as you wish, but think or pretend you are making as much sense as you think you are? I'd think again...

I suspect my time here is drawing to a close in any case, so don't let me ruin your fun any. Certainly today I've got to move onto something that makes a difference.
You sure have helped keep the thread alive.
Your opinion is always welcome here. I actually enjoy it.
We agree on somethings even though I might not express it and we disagree on somethings also unexpressed. I am even more confident in what I'm doing. Knowing that I'm not doing, what most people do, doesn't bother me. I've often been on a hwy. watching rush hour traffic go in the opposite direction.
Many people overthink everything and spend a lot of time on things I consider useless. I keep things simple, for me. I simply don't care what method or style others use. I hope they do well and are satisfied with it. Hope everyone knows they are welcome to express what they are doing in the SM and why they like doing it.

As to the question on, 9/11 happened on GW's watch, for example. Does this mean GW is to blame?

Wrong question.
Was his response correct when it happened on his watch. IMO no. We didn't need to invade Iraq.

Last edited by phma; 08-15-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top