U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 12:16 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,812,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. the drop in the market is two fold..tech..and interest rates

2. the trump negotiations with tariff threats are a good thing.. the globalist fascist liberals and no tariffs have set us on a un-level path... tariffs level the playing field.....the no tariffs by the globalist liberals is what caused all the outsourcing of jobs..... why do you think that American companies like GE make everything in Mexico and Malaysia... they would rather outsource the jobs paying Mexicans 80/week than to pay Americans 25/hr tariffs (especially on those American companies that outsource 99% of their jobs) is the cure for the liberal debacle
What about trillion dollar deficits? You're going to blame trump deficits on "global fascist liberals" too? Lmao.

It's funny how trump stopped tweeting about the stock market after it peaked in Jan 2018 before the big correction. Guess he learned his lesson..eventually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Don't worry. If anything negative ever does happen it will have absolutely nothing to do with Trump and will (in all likelihood) be the fault of the Fed.
Trump supporters logic is as impressive as their hypocrisy on the national debt which will be the worst increase during an economic boom that I can ever recall.

Of course if the debt was going up during a Democrat administration, we'd be hearing all about it

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 10-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate

Old 10-11-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
dow when obozo left 21k...dow under trump peaked last week at 26.7k..yes it has fallen back a little (today at 25.7k)...but still 4k above obozos record
Obama tripled the dow off the bottom....from 6k to 18K after the Republicans wrecked everything in 2008. Trump won't even double it

Old 10-11-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Um...the stock market grew significantly and continuously under Obama's two terms after recovering from the recession instigated by Bush... Trump inherited and already expanding economy with a well-established bull market. FACT.

If you're gonna give Presidents credit for growing equities markets, then you gotta include the one who presided over the start of this bull market (not just Trump).
He won't. That's MAGA logic. Those red hats have special powers. Super strength hypocrisy

Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 AM

26,409 posts, read 8,972,430 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You're the one who insinuated that Trump was diretly responsible for the stock market growth. We can all read what you wrote, not to mention even the title of this thread. Putting out a bunch of smileys doesn't make for very good deflection, by the way.

You think I insinuated something. That's your opinion and that's fine. I'm still not going to address that at this time b/c to me it is nothing but a distraction right now. I will do that later though. I will state what I have stated before. The title is two separate independent statements next to each other. Its really no more complicated than that but it sure puts a bee in peoples bonnet.
This thread is about the economy and its about the Dow. Both are topics for discussion. Fairly simple really.

Quote:
Trump himself and Trumpers have been crowing about the stock market for most of 2018 - it's fun to take credit on the way up (but not the way down).
Its obvious to anyone the stock market prices are controlled by buyers and sellers. Lets just say investors.

They are the ones putting money in or taking it out and they do it for a variety of reasons but the main goal of all is to make money, generally. It doesn't matter if the price goes up or goes down. Money can and is made in both directions.

The Fed says, and others agree that the economy is good if not great. Naturally there is always those that disagree. There is always two sides on that coin.
The big boys who have most of the money in the market use computerized trading. When you see a drop like today it was the big boys moving the money not main street Joe. The big boys are shaking the tree and will gobble up all the loose apples especially if there is a panic. No one is reporting a panic yet. Who are the big boys ? The big banks for one. They start reporting earnings on Friday this week. Expectations for the banks is nothing to get excited about unless they miss their forecast. Bottom line is the DOW should go lower.
I'd like to see it test the lows around 24,000 to 23,500 but no one knows where support will be found on this leg down. That might be a level where a panic could start. Isn't this fun !!!

Last edited by phma; 10-11-2018 at 01:13 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 02:11 AM

26,409 posts, read 8,972,430 times
Some links.

Someone was going on about how great tech stocks were. They have their own individual problems and well as all the shared problems across the market.

Tech stocks plunge because investors are nervous — here are 3 reasons why
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tec...dist=bigcharts

Investors appear to have woken up to some of the bad news that has been gushing out of tech companies in the past two months, and they are getting out while they can ahead of earnings season.

Another interesting link mentioning "Rotation"
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why...dist=bigcharts

market participants argue that investors are shifting from growth-fueled strategies to value shares, which have been out of favor as shares of growthy, techy companies have soared.
That shift could be taken hold presently.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:43 AM

3,988 posts, read 1,668,940 times
Quote:
dow when obozo left 21k...dow under trump peaked last week at 26.7k..yes it has fallen back a little (today at 25.7k)...but still 4k above obozos record

what was Dow when Obama took office?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:49 AM

18,161 posts, read 10,319,605 times
[quote=phma;53333318]
Quote:

You think I insinuated something. That's your opinion and that's fine. I'm still not going to address that at this time b/c to me it is nothing but a distraction right now. I will do that later though. I will state what I have stated before. The title is two separate independent statements next to each other. Its really no more complicated than that but it sure puts a bee in peoples bonnet.
This thread is about the economy and its about the Dow. Both are topics for discussion. Fairly simple really.

Its obvious to anyone the stock market prices are controlled by buyers and sellers. Lets just say investors.

They are the ones putting money in or taking it out and they do it for a variety of reasons but the main goal of all is to make money, generally. It doesn't matter if the price goes up or goes down. Money can and is made in both directions.

The Fed says, and others agree that the economy is good if not great. Naturally there is always those that disagree. There is always two sides on that coin.
The big boys who have most of the money in the market use computerized trading. When you see a drop like today it was the big boys moving the money not main street Joe. The big boys are shaking the tree and will gobble up all the loose apples especially if there is a panic. No one is reporting a panic yet. Who are the big boys ? The big banks for one. They start reporting earnings on Friday this week. Expectations for the banks is nothing to get excited about unless they miss their forecast. Bottom line is the DOW should go lower.
I'd like to see it test the lows around 24,000 to 23,500 but no one knows where support will be found on this leg down. That might be a level where a panic could start. Isn't this fun !!!
Well if the Fed says the "economy is good" then why is Trump today blaming the Fed for the huge drop?

It's always someone else's fault there's a bad smell in the throne room with this flaccid character.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:04 AM

1,089 posts, read 473,840 times
Tariffs and trade war caused inflation and higher interest rates. Those are bad for stock market. Tax cut only had limited positive effects. In a deepened trade war, if China dumps trillions of US treasury debt and stop selling consumer goods, there could be hyperinflation. Trump's confrontational approach on trade was to win back manufacturing jobs, while that may not happen but the negative effects are immanent.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM

62,741 posts, read 34,201,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Today is a buying opportunity. That's my call.
You said that on Tuesday, and the market is down about 1200 points since then.

I'd be making excuses too if I was losing as much money as you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies