U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 10:30 AM

11,385 posts, read 5,970,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I wish I could get more people like you to stop wasting their vote, but I won't comment or again explain how voting for other than someone with a chance to win is a waste of a vote...

None of us may be altogether happy with what essentially amounts to a two-party political system in America, but none of us can deny that "binary" reality. Might be under the illusion that casting that protest vote or alternative vote amounts to something, but take a good look around and ultimately you have to see nothing of the sort is the case. Maybe, only maybe if there were an alternative candidate that seemed to have the backing and support to actually compete, but when there is no such contender, you are wasting your vote if you vote for them anyway instead of those who have a real chance to assume office, typically either the Democrat or Republican.

On the one hand it would be interesting to see what would happen if all you who waste those votes actually voted for one of the two candidates most likely to win the election. I suspect the Democrats would benefit if they did. On the other hand if people who claim to lean conservative like you do were to vote Republican, for the likes of Trump, then best you continue to go ahead and waste that vote of yours far as I'm concerned...
Your opinion is just that, an opinion. It doesn't make it correct, nor does it change the considerable thought I've put into how I express my opinion with my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 AM

26,364 posts, read 24,538,548 times
I'm not in love with Trump, and yes, I voted for him b/c of Hillary's track record...I remember her antics way back when...most others who are not my age, do not, they think it's all propaganda.

Trump has indeed done more than most Presidents have done...and I'm pleased with what he's done, but he could be doing more!!!

He needs to do something for our military men, who live in the streets.

What he's done so far is a start, but by far, needs to be continued to a great degree.

Yes, he is trying very hard to do something with the border, will he succeed, remains to be seen and I know a lot of people are trying to thwart his progress....

I'm not a republican, nor am I a liberal, but I will say a very concerned conservative, who strongly believes in laws and rules need to be enforced to govern it's people, otherwise, it's a trickle down effect that eventually turns into criminal behaviors....which is what has been happening.

People care more about stupid words than action....meaning the PC crap.

People care more about animals then they do, about child molestation

People fear standing by their own rules....and are allowing our politicans to get away with murder.

Stop it...and start speaking up, start writing your congress and senate officials and let them know you mean business....

People all over this nation are avoiding laws, and think that rules don't apply to them...there is a disease spreading thru our society so quickly it is corroding our entire nation....one thing affects another and another. What you think, and your words affect others....

Why has our nation lost that concept and the common sense to know that once you start ignoring laws for convenience, the trickle down effect begins?

I believe what happened in the Election was tremendous, American's did indeed send a message, but it's not over, it will never be over, and voters need to continue to work hard to keep our nation America...and not a nation allowing many cultures and religions to take over....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-30-2018 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 08:47 AM

12,792 posts, read 3,241,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Your opinion is just that, an opinion. It doesn't make it correct, nor does it change the considerable thought I've put into how I express my opinion with my vote.
Another opinion of mine is that people who think it necessary to distinguish opinion from whatever else are wasting time stating the obvious. Of course I'm expressing my opinion here just like you are yours, and my opinion is that you are wasting your vote just like anyone else who chooses to vote like you do, regardless how much time you devoted to thinking about how to waste your vote. I can support my opinion by simply pointing at our long history of national elections, for one example, and how many times the votes for other than the R or D candidate resulted in anything significant or worthy of note. In fact, more often than not when people wasted their vote, they unwittingly helped the candidate they would have least preferred that was either R or D. Consider my opinion and justification carefully -- objectively -- and you are better able to see my opinion is correct even if it doesn't change your thinking about this.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not in love with Trump, and yes, I voted for him b/c of Hillary's track record...I remember her antics way back when...most others who are not my age, do not, they think it's all propaganda.

Trump has indeed done more than most Presidents have done...and I'm pleased with what he's done, but he could be doing more!!!

He needs to do something for our military men, who live in the streets.

What he's done so far is a start, but by far, needs to be continued to a great degree.

Yes, he is trying very hard to do something with the border, will he succeed, remains to be seen and I know a lot of people are trying to thwart his progress....

I'm not a republican, nor am I a liberal, but I will say a very concerned conservative, who strongly believes in laws and rules need to be enforced to govern it's people, otherwise, it's a trickle down effect that eventually turns into criminal behaviors....which is what has been happening.

People care more about stupid words than action....meaning the PC crap.

People care more about animals then they do, about child molestation

People fear standing by their own rules....and are allowing our politicans to get away with murder.

Stop it...and start speaking up, start writing your congress and senate officials and let them know you mean business....

People all over this nation are avoiding laws, and think that rules don't apply to them...there is a disease spreading thru our society so quickly it is corroding our entire nation....one thing affects another and another. What you think, and your words affect others....

Why has our nation lost that concept and the common sense to know that once you start ignoring laws for convenience, the trickle down effect begins?

I believe what happened in the Election was tremendous, American's did indeed send a message, but it's not over, it will never be over, and voters need to continue to work hard to keep our nation America...and not a nation allowing many cultures and religions to take over....
I've read many a similar comment of yours before and although I have tried to address the where, how and why we don't agree, as usual, no comment, reason or logic makes any difference. You continue to comment the same exact sort of message in the same exact sort of way. You are not the only one of course. In fact you are just like everyone else in this forum who essentially doesn't change their opinion about anything. Instead it seems to me it's simply best to refer to this thread (below) that should make some people think about this dynamic of confirmation bias so prevalent among us and so well evidenced in this forum.

Why We Believe What We Do...

Old 12-01-2018, 10:27 AM

26,364 posts, read 24,538,548 times
Quote:
I've read many a similar comment of yours before and although I have tried to address the where, how and why we don't agree, as usual, no comment, reason or logic makes any difference. You continue to comment the same exact sort of message in the same exact sort of way. You are not the only one of course. In fact you are just like everyone else in this forum who essentially doesn't change their opinion about anything. Instead it seems to me it's simply best to refer to this thread (below) that should make some people think about this dynamic of confirmation bias so prevalent among us and so well evidenced in this forum.

Why We Believe What We Do...
you simply love to argue and dig at people.....just b/c you think one way and others think another doesn't make you right and me wrong....talk about opinionated....

and you always have the option to ignore my posts, be my guest.....

you deem yourself largely above others whom you don't agree with I prefer not to tango with you, quite frankly.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you simply love to argue and dig at people.....just b/c you think one way and others think another doesn't make you right and me wrong....talk about opinionated....

and you always have the option to ignore my posts, be my guest.....

you deem yourself largely above others whom you don't agree with I prefer not to tango with you, quite frankly.
Wrong, or maybe there is another way to consider my comments if you will...

I tend to address comments that express a way of thinking, opinion, that is different from mine, and like just about everyone in this forum, I am opinionated. No argument there, but unlike everyone else who is also opinionated, I do try hard to justify my opinions, especially as I might suggest someone else's is wrong or not well justified. Fair?

Of course my opinion, no opinion, makes you or me right or wrong. It's the facts, reason and logic that ultimately determines whether someone is right or wrong, or at least more right or wrong compared to someone else. We have no judge or jury in this forum to determine who is ultimately more right or wrong, but of course we can all judge for ourselves who seems to make the most sense (or not) for all the reasons given or perhaps no reason or logic whatsoever -- just opinion.

Thanks as well for pointing out my option to ignore you, but I am not driven by desire to ignore comments that don't align with mine. Probably the opposite, because if there IS any sort of value or contribution any comment in these threads might have, it's the possibility that OTHERS might gain from the countering of misguided and/or misinformed opinion. No doubt I'm probably wrong about that too, but just to make myself understood in any case.

Ultimately, I'm pretty sure we're all just wasting our time here anyway, regardless our cause, because we all know that no one changes their mind about just about anything in this forum regardless the facts, reason, logic. Still, I guess I can't help myself when I read some comments in this forum, and for that I get all sorts of "kudos" and also of course lots of angst more like yours. Ironic I think, because part of your mantra seems to be that we should speak up against what we see wrong going on around us. Something like I tend to do when I see the same in this forum.

You do me the favor, however, of reminding me the futility of commenting in this forum, and I thank you for that as I really should get on with something more productive now...

Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,131,490 times
Well The guy has done more good for the country than Obama ever did in 2 terms. I'll give Trump that. Hes a man of action at least. Obama was just a man of Telempropter speeches

Old 12-01-2018, 02:36 PM

26,792 posts, read 9,110,419 times
Quote:
Wrong, or maybe there is another way to consider my comments if you will...

I tend to address comments that express a way of thinking, opinion, that is different from mine, and like just about everyone in this forum, I am opinionated. No argument there, but unlike everyone else who is also opinionated, I do try hard to justify my opinions, especially as I might suggest someone else's is wrong or not well justified. Fair?

Of course my opinion, no opinion, makes you or me right or wrong. It's the facts, reason and logic that ultimately determines whether someone is right or wrong, or at least more right or wrong compared to someone else. We have no judge or jury in this forum to determine who is ultimately more right or wrong, but of course we can all judge for ourselves who seems to make the most sense (or not) for all the reasons given or perhaps no reason or logic whatsoever -- just opinion.

Thanks as well for pointing out my option to ignore you, but I am not driven by desire to ignore comments that don't align with mine. Probably the opposite, because if there IS any sort of value or contribution any comment in these threads might have, it's the possibility that OTHERS might gain from the countering of misguided and/or misinformed opinion. No doubt I'm probably wrong about that too, but just to make myself understood in any case.

Ultimately, I'm pretty sure we're all just wasting our time here anyway, regardless our cause, because we all know that no one changes their mind about just about anything in this forum regardless the facts, reason, logic. Still, I guess I can't help myself when I read some comments in this forum, and for that I get all sorts of "kudos" and also of course lots of angst more like yours. Ironic I think, because part of your mantra seems to be that we should speak up against what we see wrong going on around us. Something like I tend to do when I see the same in this forum.

You do me the favor, however, of reminding me the futility of commenting in this forum, and I thank you for that as I really should get on with something more productive now...

If I can buy several I's for $100.00, mind if I ask if you learned that from Obama or taught it to him ?

Just curious, while watching the coverage of G.H. Bush its a word his mother taught him not to use so much. Its not totally avoidable but he tamped it down a little.

Meanwhile back on topic, what will investors make of the G20 on the open Monday morning ?

Last edited by phma; 12-01-2018 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 07:08 PM

15,357 posts, read 4,058,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If I can buy several I's for $100.00, mind if I ask if you learned that from Obama or taught it to him ?

Just curious, while watching the coverage of G.H. Bush its a word his mother taught him not to use so much. Its not totally avoidable but he tamped it down a little.

Meanwhile back on topic, what will investors make of the G20 on the open Monday morning ?
Zero. Zilch.

Consumers are confused. I'm not buying a new iphone. I'm keeping the wifes 2008 car (that we bought used)......

I don't see the economy going anywhere until Trump is silenced in one way or another. It may go up some and down some, but since no investor can count on him to care about stability and long-term staying of a course, we'll have to wait until we have a better helmsman (or woman).

All the banks agree with me on this (that the market is going almost nowhere this year and next).

Old 12-01-2018, 07:17 PM

15,357 posts, read 4,058,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Wasn't the new Royalty the Dems taking the house power next year. That was the event that was going to save the economy, the markets and the planet. Surprised to see the Dems have no confidence in their ability to govern.

Making financial decisions based on Trump. He is living rent free in your head.
Someone here just said how foolish it would be for Trump supporters to do that but somehow its a virtue if a lefty does it. SNL can't write better material.
I don't know you. So I assume you use reason and logic.

No House or Senate is going to tweet out that they are taking actions that cost consumer 100's of billions of dollars. No House or Senate is going to denigrate our entire system of Justice.

Etc. Etc.

Loose Cannon. I repeat.

Let me try to put it in terms you might understand. You are ready to get on a Flight - a long one in inclement weather. There are two pilots who might fly the plane and they are up talking to the Flight Crew near the loading door. One is acting exactly like Trump does "I am the best pilot and I can fly this thing better than Chuck Yeager. No, I don't have any training, but I know flying because I fly all the time"...

The other one looks thoughtful, mature and measured. Professional.

Which would you choose?

One of the finest human beings I ever met was a Brain Surgeon who worked on my Daughter in NYC. If you met him on at the coffee shop he'd ask you if you needed him to bring you an extra sugar or a cap for your cup. His office was full of pictures of all the children he had saved (pediatric neurosurgeon) and all the honor bestowed upon him that he could care less about. He told us the 100% truth about the situation. Yet hearing the truth calmed us greatly, even if it had a chance of bad things happening.

Contrast real human beings with Trump. He doesn't live in my head. But he lives on Twitter throwing chit around like our primate ancestors. It's a disgrace to the office, world and to all of us.

IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies