U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-21-2018, 04:12 PM
 
15,386 posts, read 4,064,639 times
Reputation: 11085

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Plunging stock market
All this and more in 2 years folks, we were better under Obama for 8 years!

When did Individual 1 ever win? Never. He just found people to fall for this con.
And 40% are stilling falling for it, along with the markets.

If you gave them the choice of seeing 1,000 Mexican in an internment camps suffering....or a 5,000 point rise in the Dow (and said Mexicans happy and working), many would take the former.

Remember, many of them think Chaos is a good thing. From the Evengelicals who want the world to end to the others who think a rebirth can only come from ashes.

So, in a sense, they feed on all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 PM
 
26,871 posts, read 9,120,314 times
Reputation: 9362
Its interesting that those who blame Trump for the markets decline never gave him credit when it went to new highs.
I however say Trump owns both the rise and the decline. Just as Obama owns the market decline and the decline in the economy and jobs lost when he was in office. Also the pathetic recovery of both the markets and the economy.
The biggest difference so far is with Trump the economy is still strong and so is employment. Consumer confidence is still high along with other strong economic data. So its still to early to say game over with years left on the clock. Its only half time in the first term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Kent, Ohio
3,424 posts, read 2,118,111 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
...Just as Obama owns the market decline and the decline in the economy and jobs lost when he was in office. Also the pathetic recovery of both the markets and the economy.
By what comparative measures do you say that the recovery during Obama's tenure was "pathetic"? And didn't that recovery set the stage for what you are calling the strong economy today?

Prediction are generally risky, but I can make a prediction that is almost guaranteed to be true: If the economy takes a dump, or if it slogs along in a lack-luster way, Trump will totally blame the media and the Democrats. I wish I could bet my entire life savings (all $12.36 worth) on the odds of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 04:34 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,088 posts, read 4,143,193 times
Reputation: 7734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
By what comparative measures do you say that the recovery during Obama's tenure was "pathetic"? And didn't that recovery set the stage for what you are calling the strong economy today?
The economy really started to show strength in 2015 and that lasted until this year when it has started to sputter. Trump supporters cannot give Obama credit for the strong economy during his last two years. They were too busy being outraged about Obergefell vs Hodges, Caitlyn Jenner, and red Starbucks cups.

The economy in 2017 was mostly continued momentum from Obama but I will say Trump's tax cuts boosted the stock market some largely because corporations used their influx of cash to buy back stocks. That did little to help most Americans however. As more and more of Trump policies have become established, the economy has really begun to sputter. Now, things have a very "late 2007" feel to them. Things are about to get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,602 posts, read 5,397,441 times
Reputation: 6618
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its interesting that those who blame Trump for the markets decline never gave him credit when it went to new highs.
I however say Trump owns both the rise and the decline. Just as Obama owns the market decline and the decline in the economy and jobs lost when he was in office. Also the pathetic recovery of both the markets and the economy.
The biggest difference so far is with Trump the economy is still strong and so is employment. Consumer confidence is still high along with other strong economic data. So its still to early to say game over with years left on the clock. Its only half time in the first term.
That's a start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 04:49 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,602 posts, read 5,397,441 times
Reputation: 6618
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its interesting that those who blame Trump for the markets decline never gave him credit when it went to new highs.
I however say Trump owns both the rise and the decline. Just as Obama owns the market decline and the decline in the economy and jobs lost when he was in office. Also the pathetic recovery of both the markets and the economy.
The biggest difference so far is with Trump the economy is still strong and so is employment. Consumer confidence is still high along with other strong economic data. So its still to early to say game over with years left on the clock. Its only half time in the first term.

If the markets keep tanking, that may change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM
 
15,386 posts, read 4,064,639 times
Reputation: 11085
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its interesting that those who blame Trump for the markets decline never gave him credit when it went to new highs.
I however say Trump owns both the rise and the decline. Just as Obama owns the market decline and the decline in the economy and jobs lost when he was in office. Also the pathetic recovery of both the markets and the economy.
The biggest difference so far is with Trump the economy is still strong and so is employment. Consumer confidence is still high along with other strong economic data. So its still to early to say game over with years left on the clock. Its only half time in the first term.
As others have noted, you certainly can't give Trump policies any credit for momentum and "sunny day" rallies that occurred in his first number of months. The die was cast and it takes a LONG time for the actions of a POTUS and Congress to make things better or worse.

There was certainly no concrete actions that Trump took that were responsible for anything...until the Tax Cuts. And, it seems that the Tax Cuts may have had the opposite effect - because they went hand in hand with exploding yearly deficits (when the market thought Trump would be fiscally conservative).....

Then came the tariff king.

If he would have said and done nothing we'd be much better off than we are. As it stands not only is the market doing horribly, but the debt and deficit and trust/trade and chaos and all that stuff add to the mix...

If the House can somehow castrate him and shut down the trade wars (I'm not familiar as to whether or not there are avenues for this), then things could slowly get better.

My take is that the Xmas season this year isn't going to meet the total expectations. We already have a lowering of consumer confidence here in Florida. The housing market has cooled. Tourism is way off - but that's largely because of Red Tide and the environmental disaster...another product of the "don't worry about excess pollution" type of world view we see from the GOP.

"Florida Consumer Confidence Drops for Fourth Straight Month
Sarasota-Dec 19, 2018
Consumer confidence among Floridians declined between October and November, the fourth straight month of declining consumer sentiment ..."

So, why do you think a place like Florida would decline for 4 months in a row? Could it be not having confidence in the Trump Chaos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM
 
26,871 posts, read 9,120,314 times
Reputation: 9362
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As others have noted, you certainly can't give Trump policies any credit for momentum and "sunny day" rallies that occurred in his first number of months. The die was cast and it takes a LONG time for the actions of a POTUS and Congress to make things better or worse.

There was certainly no concrete actions that Trump took that were responsible for anything...until the Tax Cuts. And, it seems that the Tax Cuts may have had the opposite effect - because they went hand in hand with exploding yearly deficits (when the market thought Trump would be fiscally conservative).....

Then came the tariff king.

If he would have said and done nothing we'd be much better off than we are. As it stands not only is the market doing horribly, but the debt and deficit and trust/trade and chaos and all that stuff add to the mix...

If the House can somehow castrate him and shut down the trade wars (I'm not familiar as to whether or not there are avenues for this), then things could slowly get better.

My take is that the Xmas season this year isn't going to meet the total expectations. We already have a lowering of consumer confidence here in Florida. The housing market has cooled. Tourism is way off - but that's largely because of Red Tide and the environmental disaster...another product of the "don't worry about excess pollution" type of world view we see from the GOP.

"Florida Consumer Confidence Drops for Fourth Straight Month
Sarasota-Dec 19, 2018
Consumer confidence among Floridians declined between October and November, the fourth straight month of declining consumer sentiment ..."

So, why do you think a place like Florida would decline for 4 months in a row? Could it be not having confidence in the Trump Chaos?
Besides all the political "I hate Trump" blather your post amounts to very little.


As I posted in a link today. The University of Michigan's consumer-sentiment remains strong and unchanged from last month.

Consumer spending remains strong.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...sumer-spending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 05:24 PM
 
1 posts, read 151 times
Reputation: 13
Trump is the worst president we've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 05:29 PM
 
7,228 posts, read 1,621,781 times
Reputation: 3907
the stock market just had its worst week in 10 years.

#trump #winning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top