U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 12,569,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
What is your goal with talking down and dismissing that the US economy is running on all 8 cylinders?
Go back and reread my post SLOWLY...and maybe take off the Trump blinders.

I Didn't talk down or dismiss the economy at all in that post

I addressed Trump's claim that our good economy is partly due to the collection of tariffs.

How can that be -- that makes no sense?

And instead of trying to explain to me - -you make up stuff that I said.....I didn't say the economy wasn't good -- never did.

I was pointing out how Trump doesn't even understand what a tariff is, how it works, who pays for it, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 AM

4,169 posts, read 1,280,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Go back and reread my post SLOWLY...and maybe take off the Trump blinders.

I Didn't talk down or dismiss the economy at all in that post

I addressed Trump's claim that our good economy is partly due to the collection of tariffs.

How can that be -- that makes no sense?

And instead of trying to explain to me - -you make up stuff that I said.....I didn't say the economy wasn't good -- never did
Why are you here complaining? Embrace the prosperity.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM

63,449 posts, read 34,717,433 times
Quote:
Trump is citing the tariffs as part of the reason we have great economic results? How
WHAT? How does that work.....lol

For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars.... Trump tweet May 5, 2019

How do tariffs help our economic results?

Come on folks spin this one for us.
And he actually thinks China is paying US. He doesn't know it is a tax which is paid by US corporations, and ultimately by American consumer, and it is not helping anyone.

He has absolutely no clue about how things work, and yet he insists in getting involved anyway.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-06-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 12,569,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Why are you here complaining? Embrace the prosperity.
Once again -- reading comprehension fail on your part.

I'm not complaining about the economy.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:04 AM

32,313 posts, read 20,373,659 times
Quote:
Trump is citing the tariffs as part of the reason we have great economic results? How
WHAT? How does that work.....lol

For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars.... Trump tweet May 5, 2019

How do tariffs help our economic results?

Come on folks spin this one for us.

I think Trump believes that money coming into the government is good, he doesn't care where it comes from. His base seems fine that it is coming from us, essentially a tax.

He just tweeted a few days ago about how great it is that tariff money is pouring in from China.

Again, dumb or a liar, you decide.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 6,601,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Long term the market will continue to rise long after Trump has been consigned to the dust bin of history.
Yeah but not as amazingly as it will during his 10 years.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 AM

32,313 posts, read 20,373,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And he actually thinks China is paying US. He doesn't know it is a tax which is paid by US corporations, and ultimately by American consumer, and it is not helping anyone.

He has absolutely no clue about how things work, and yet he insists in getting involved anyway.
Yep, he confused GDP and the trade deficit, more than once.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-06-2019, 10:33 AM

135 posts, read 48,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We just had one. Why do we need another one?
A quick v-shape recovery like we saw at the end of last year and early this year is usually not considered healthy for a longer upward trend. Maybe that's why the markets can't seem to go much higher than we were before that. At least not yet. A number of different factors can come into play though.

Usually a healthier correction is one that gives the markets a chance to consolidate for a moderate or longer time period significantly lower than the previous high. It doesn't have to stay right at the very bottom.

The fast correction and even faster recovery we saw at the end of the year is great for traders. I'm not a short term trader but I did put more money in during that correction. Twice. Just a moderate percentage of my total investments. It appeared, and turned out to be, a nice little buying opportunity.

What we saw today was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to the headlines at this point. People starting buying the very small dip soon after. That doesn't mean the markets can't go lower again. There are no guarantees. Personally I favor another correction that gives time for the markets to consolidate some, if that's actually what they need. We shall see. Everybody has their own opinions just like in Politics.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 AM

9,984 posts, read 4,484,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yeah but not as amazingly as it will during his 10 years.
Trumpie math: 4+4=10. Did you matriculate (you might need to look that up) at Trump university?

Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 AM

5,693 posts, read 3,732,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trumpie math: 4+4=10. Did you matriculate (you might need to look that up) at Trump university?
Some believe that Trump should get an extra two years because of the first two that were "stollen" from him. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ueller-1302643
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies