U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 10:48 AM

11,298 posts, read 6,605,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trumpie math: 4+4=10. Did you matriculate (you might need to look that up) at Trump university?
2 years for the coup. 4+4+2=10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 11:03 AM

9,993 posts, read 4,487,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Some believe that Trump should get an extra two years because of the first two that were "stollen" from him. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ueller-1302643
Interesting link. Trump is sinking ever deeper into dementia.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 AM

4,174 posts, read 1,281,720 times
From the Twitter quote in that link:
Quote:
that we will never be able to get back.
Obviously he knows it's not possible, it's hyperbole on his part. You guys get worked up about nothing. Lol.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM

16,373 posts, read 4,308,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
It sounds like some of you (or all) don't subscribe to any professional services.

During certain periods the analysis and predictions vary between market analysts. I'm not talking about stock analysts. It's up to YOU to find ones you trust based on their record.
During certain periods?

I think what you mean to say is that most of them are wrong most of the time and almost none have beat the market over many decades.

I have the best pro available. My brain, experience and Warren Buffet.

You need to be sentenced to watch the Wolf of Wall Street over and over again until you realize that it's "fugazi" and no one knows which way the wind blows.

Buffet says it so simply....

On one hand he says - with honesty - that stocks are cheap IF 30 year bonds are 3%.

On the other hand, he notes that these things cannot stay the way they are.

"I think stocks are ridiculously cheap if you believe ... that 3% on the 30-year bonds makes sense, Buffett says.
However, he doubts that low rates will always be the reality.
I dont know in what way, but I dont think we can continue to have these variables in this relationship, Buffett says."

That's the situation. We are in a false situation due to Trump and his pressure on the fed...let alone tariffs and stuff...let alone wars....let alone one of the largest variable, that of a 10 year expansion.

Even the mounting deficits...and debt figures in.

IMHO, unless Trump stops what he does...and that is hardly a possibility, something bad is going to happen. What that bad thing is...no one can say.

Personally, I think the Fed should have continued to normalize - we'd slowly adjust and some would swallow the bitter pill, but many would prosper as we "conservatives" have money to lend (at higher rates).

Old 05-06-2019, 12:11 PM

27,277 posts, read 9,355,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
During certain periods?

I think what you mean to say is that most of them are wrong most of the time and almost none have beat the market over many decades.

I have the best pro available. My brain, experience and Warren Buffet.

You need to be sentenced to watch the Wolf of Wall Street over and over again until you realize that it's "fugazi" and no one knows which way the wind blows.

Buffet says it so simply....

On one hand he says - with honesty - that stocks are cheap IF 30 year bonds are 3%.

On the other hand, he notes that these things cannot stay the way they are.

"I think stocks are ridiculously cheap if you believe ... that 3% on the 30-year bonds makes sense,” Buffett says.
However, he doubts that low rates will always be the reality.
“I don’t know in what way, but I don’t think we can continue to have these variables in this relationship,” Buffett says."

That's the situation. We are in a false situation due to Trump and his pressure on the fed...let alone tariffs and stuff...let alone wars....let alone one of the largest variable, that of a 10 year expansion.

Even the mounting deficits...and debt figures in.

IMHO, unless Trump stops what he does...and that is hardly a possibility, something bad is going to happen. What that bad thing is...no one can say.

Personally, I think the Fed should have continued to normalize - we'd slowly adjust and some would swallow the bitter pill, but many would prosper as we "conservatives" have money to lend (at higher rates).
That's known as fearmongering !!! Thanks for the expert analysist.

We've seen as much from Peewee and "the brain."

Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 PM

894 posts, read 511,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
From the Twitter quote in that link:

Obviously he knows it's not possible, it's hyperbole on his part. You guys get worked up about nothing. Lol.
Its possible if he loses in 2020 and runs as VP in 2024 and then the president then gives him the office before early 2026 and he runs and wins in 2028.. Lets not bash our Trumpies hopes..

Granted by 2028 Donnie will be in some high fancy Alzheimer's home or in a box underground...

Old 05-06-2019, 12:22 PM

16,373 posts, read 4,308,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
That's known as fearmongering !!! Thanks for the expert analysist.

We've seen as much from Peewee and "the brain."
Well, if that's fear mongering, what is 16 months with 1/2 of normal returns? Is that "a miracle:"?

If you let someone without an economic experience run the economy bad things will happen. They may happen during or after his or her term, but they will likely happen.

It's as predictable as stating what will happen if we let inexperienced pilots of mechanics fly and work on airplanes. More will crash. You can count on that.

It's quite strange that "one side" spent 8 years telling us the deficit was going to CRUSH us. But now, when I mention it, it's NOW fear mongering? What changed? Do economics care about Orange Hair? I say they don't...that if there was a problem before, there is a bigger problem now....

Also, it's fairly simple to suggest that a 10 year expansion (which, in this case, means normal historical returns plus a point or two) will come to an end sometime.....likely soon. That may be 2020, 2021 or 2022, but the expansion will end.

Given the right policies it could be a slow letdown...or a quick one. I'd rather see 10 years of 6% returns in the market and rising interest rates...than artificially low interest rates, decent stock market...and then a crash.

Personally I will be removing more money from the market. Not to say I won't be missing out on some gain, but just to be conservative.

As an ad in the mag sitting next to me says..

"Even Geniuses can't Predict the Market - Charles Babbage, inventor of the Computer, invested big in RR stocks and lost his shirt"

Anyone who thinks their "pro" knows more than Buffet or common sense will be in for a rude awakening someday.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM

135 posts, read 48,547 times
Quote:
NEVER base your investment decisions solely on predictions from market analysts. That was a pretty big assumption you made there. That's certainly not what I do.

Investors need to take many things into consideration, and even then, let your experience be the final determination for your decisions. And only risk the amounts you can afford to risk.

Some analysts have a better record than others and trust is only earned over time. But again people need to consider a lot more than just that.

The 5-10% correction posted earlier was absolutely not a guarantee. All it means is, don't be surprised if it does drop that far or even farther. And if it does, I'm not going to be surprised one bit. I'll adjust my allocations according to my own personal preferences. Which has worked out very well for me over the past 30 years.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:29 PM

135 posts, read 48,547 times
Quote:
I forgot to add that I absolutely agree with that. Rates have been low for too long. Greenspan did the same thing, but that's my opinion. Others might not think so. I have significant savings that I don't risk in the markets, and no debt at all, and would love higher interest rates. The return on the savings is getting better, but there's certainly room for more.

Last edited by BlueRacer; 05-06-2019 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Oops, spelling.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM

16,320 posts, read 6,443,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks Trump.
You think he's sad that China isn't a friend that will come out and play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies