Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"since 2009 ". you might want to get up with the times. That was 10 YEARS ago!

"and golf declining as a past-time" "the only hope of playing Golf is after retirement"

And WE are called the UN-educated!

I live in a golf MECCA and when times were good golf courses did NOT want are local business because they cpuld make more money catering to the golf groups over a shorter period of time. When the recession hit they called US to come and play. Now with the economy getting better they don't want us. But, keep on believing golf is dead.

We have new housing being built all over the place WITH several golf course closing.

Participation In The Game Of Golf Is Growing Again!

https://www.golfwdw.com/.../118-participation-in-the-game-of-golf-is-growing-again
Apr 1, 2016 - This not only builds a base of new golfers, but also helps to set the stage for increasing future participation, as the junior golfers grow older.

Rounds increase in Myrtle Beach golf market in 2017 for first time in 13 ...

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article195003219.html

Jan 16, 2018 - Statistics compiled by Golf Tourism Solutions through the T-Links reservation system show a 4.1-percent increase in 2017 compared to 2016. ... The Myrtle Beach golf industry can finally again trumpet a positive number.

Golf Popularity Booming Again, Surpasses NFL and NBA - Golficity

https://golficity.com/golf-industry-surpasses-nfl-nba/

Jun 17, 2017 - In the last five years, golf has seen a 25% increase in the number of junior golfers heading out to the links. Outside of youth commitment, there ...
And yet the VERY SAME source (golfcity.com) which you posted above - and claimed in 2017 that golf was growing, admitted the very next year - last year (ie 2018) - that "...The story isn't meant to fuel the debate if golf is failing or merely stagnant as most statistics imply. This is just a new normal until the game reaches a better balance of supply and demand - courses vs. players. Golf is paying for the sins of our fathers - the building boom of the 1990s and 2000s - when they built courses in real estate developments that nobody really needed. The National Golf Foundation estimates roughly 200 courses closed in 2018, similar numbers to the year before..."

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles...-close-in-2018

If golf is "booming", WHY did 200 courses close in each of the last 2 years (and 800 in the last decade)?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1N64TK

https://www.wsj.com/articles/golf-ho...le-11547135191

Ken

Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Once again, the city of Sarasota shows that governments CANNOT run a prospering business.
Here in Benson, AZ the golf courses closed years ago because the private companies running them COULDN'T make money EITHER. One of them was eventually taken over by the city and continues to limp along.

Ken

Old 05-17-2019, 07:27 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Here in Benson, AZ the golf courses closed years ago because the private companies running them COULDN'T make money EITHER. One of them was eventually taken over by the city and continues to limp along.

Ken
You make a good case why gov. shouldn't be in the business or be competing with private business with the tax payers money.
Why would they risk the tax payers money
when the golf courses have such a poor history. As you stated private courses closed years ago for lack of profitably. Who in gov. conduct research only to find out that the golf course business is notorious for failure ?
No business is without risk, it’s helpful to know what challenges you’re up against, and how to handle those challenges to stay afloat. Who is gambling with tax payer money ? A lot of people would ask if the gov. has excess money to gamble with, why not return it to the tax payer, and let them decide if they want to gamble it away or do something else with it.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
OMG!!! Dow at -150! Great Depression incoming. Orange man bad.

Leftists can thank me for saving them the effort.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:05 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
OMG!!! Dow at -150! Great Depression incoming. Orange man bad.

Leftists can thank me for saving them the effort.
Do you find wrestling with strawmen all day makes for a good workout?

Old 05-17-2019, 08:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What is the gov. doing investing in and competing with private business ?

Does gov. want to be the Oligarchs of golf ? Why not bowling alleys ?

Meanwhile country club golf courses that are for members and their guest continue to thrive.

Take the virtual tour of one that started in 1926 and thrives without gov. ownership. It should be no surprise that gov. fails in so many areas when they compete with the more responsive private businesses.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...LLwrmksM-9nx8y
You and me both wonder.....Sarasota, BTW, is famous for being Trump Central. His campaign blossomed there at the Robarts Arena AND be actually made up his "Wall" lies and talking points there. Just a bit of history for you.

Also, the two Golf Courses I know of back in NJ that the town bought - GOP controlled towns and counties.

Not claiming it is exclusive to Republicans...BUT, you should know that the question of whether to buy it or not was never discussed. That is, it didn't even occur to them that they shouldn't be in the biz. Republicans. Unlike the rest of us, the Republicans who held county and city jobs had plenty of time to be out on the course, hence it was a no-brainer to buy it.

Last edited by craigiri; 05-17-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 08:11 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Golf courses in my neck of the woods are struggling or going out of business. It's a dying game. Like bowling.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
"since 2009 ". you might want to get up with the times. That was 10 YEARS ago!

"and golf declining as a past-time" "the only hope of playing Golf is after retirement"

And WE are called the UN-educated!

I live in a golf MECCA and when times were good golf courses did NOT want are local business because they cpuld make more money catering to the golf groups over a shorter period of time. When the recession hit they called US to come and play. Now with the economy getting better they don't want us. But, keep on believing golf is dead.

https://golficity.com/golf-industry-surpasses-nfl-nba/
[/url]
Jun 17, 2017 - In the last five years, golf has seen a 25% increase in the number of junior golfers heading out to the links. Outside of youth commitment, there ...
Well, Mecca must be nice and the National Golf Association must be lying....I'm sure the visitors to the real MECCA claim many stories that aren't true also.

My figures and the stories are not from 2009. I'm be seeing it in my news feed quite a bit in reference to Real Estate and what people want these days.

When your basis of fact is fantasy, it's useless debating with you.

"Jan 22, 2019 - With 1,200 golf communities nationwide, and golf declining as a past-time, many homeowners face declining property values and are saddled with heavy membership dues that they no longer can afford."

"Nov 10, 2018 - The sport's declining popularity muddies the future of golf course-based communities, says David Cobb, south Florida regional director"

I mean - enjoy your MECCA, just don't assume that what is true for your head is actual true. It's not.

Here is GOLF OPERATOR MAGAZINE...my assumption is that they know more than you and facing east to MECCA.
https://golfoperatormagazine.com/decline-of-golf/

"Next, you have the aging of the population, aging beyond the point where they enjoy golf. At Black Diamond where I was a member for over a decade, the membership dropped from almost 600 to under 300 in the time I was there. Of the three hundred 60 of them where over 80 and at age 48 in 2010 when I quit I was one of 3 members under 50"

Hey, the decline means you will get a great deal on your fees. On the other hand, if we talking about BAD INVESTMENTS for a luxe developer (Trump), we can say that it's ignorant to invest in Golf and expect a big ROI....

Remember, now, that is the subject.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:22 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, Mecca must be nice and the National Golf Association must be lying....I'm sure the visitors to the real MECCA claim many stories that aren't true also.

My figures and the stories are not from 2009. I'm be seeing it in my news feed quite a bit in reference to Real Estate and what people want these days.

When your basis of fact is fantasy, it's useless debating with you.

"Jan 22, 2019 - With 1,200 golf communities nationwide, and golf declining as a past-time, many homeowners face declining property values and are saddled with heavy membership dues that they no longer can afford."

"Nov 10, 2018 - The sport's declining popularity muddies the future of golf course-based communities, says David Cobb, south Florida regional director"

I mean - enjoy your MECCA, just don't assume that what is true for your head is actual true. It's not.

Here is GOLF OPERATOR MAGAZINE...my assumption is that they know more than you and facing east to MECCA.
https://golfoperatormagazine.com/decline-of-golf/

"Next, you have the aging of the population, aging beyond the point where they enjoy golf. At Black Diamond where I was a member for over a decade, the membership dropped from almost 600 to under 300 in the time I was there. Of the three hundred 60 of them where over 80 and at age 48 in 2010 when I quit I was one of 3 members under 50"

Hey, the decline means you will get a great deal on your fees. On the other hand, if we talking about BAD INVESTMENTS for a luxe developer (Trump), we can say that it's ignorant to invest in Golf and expect a big ROI....

Remember, now, that is the subject.
Might as well invest in bowling alleys.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You make a good case why gov. shouldn't be in the business or be competing with private business with the tax payers money.
Why would they risk the tax payers money
when the golf courses have such a poor history. As you stated private courses closed years ago for lack of profitably. Who in gov. conduct research only to find out that the golf course business is notorious for failure ?
No business is without risk, it’s helpful to know what challenges you’re up against, and how to handle those challenges to stay afloat. Who is gambling with tax payer money ? A lot of people would ask if the gov. has excess money to gamble with, why not return it to the tax payer, and let them decide if they want to gamble it away or do something else with it.
If you read about the Bobby Jones course in Sarasota -- it was a cash cow for the area for a a few years.

Unfortunately golf has been in decline and the courses to feel the worst pinch will be the municipal or lower fee courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies