Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times

Advertisements

At Post 2,001 it seem appropriate to remember. .

President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000

Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy99 View Post
BTW - and maybe this belongs in an investment forum (is there one here? I am fairly new at the forum area).

The Market often tumbles for a particular reason. I can't say it is a plot unless you believe that thousands of super-computers put one together. But like a wild animal, the market attempts to shake off those who are weak. Those of us who have invested for 20 years or more have seen this quite often. It will go down and all the weak investors are scared off and sell on the way down.

This is only a good idea if you intend to stay out of the market forever (you can't hack it) or if you are old or sick or otherwise in need of growing capital within the next 2-10 years. Most people are not in either of those situations. For example, we are near retirement so own 80% stocks but many are dividend producing. When prices go down we still get the same dividends - actually, it becomes a higher percentage return. If the stocks are decent that's a good time to buy a little more. Always be conservative if you are a normal retail investor.

This is just a PSA. Trump will be gone someday. Or he will be ignored. Like Warren Buffet or Tim Cook or the Google guys, I believe in the American and World economy although not in one particular sector or another. Stay the course if you are a serious investor. If the market goes down 20% I won't sell a single equity. I have worked out the solution to downturns. It's one that I think most people don't have the discipline for. This is to avoid looking when things are bad.

All I look at is my bank statements (not the brokerage) and see that the dividends are still coming in.

Hopefully this post will be taken in the spirit presented. If you can't sleep at night sell everything and figure something else out. If you are a long term investor, read about Bogle, Buffet, Lynch and others who did well by doing good things - investing for the long term. None of them ever changed their tune.

Good reasonable post. Well presented !!!

The reason this thread is in this forum is people wanted to make it a political argument and some couldn't stand to see a favorable comment about Trump without attacking it. Its more about hate trump and his supporters for some posters than it is economy or market. Giving them a place to blow off some steam and talk about the economy and the market isn't a bad idea if it stops them from acts of violence. Its kind of like a public service.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy99 View Post
BTW - and maybe this belongs in an investment forum (is there one here? I am fairly new at the forum area).

The Market often tumbles for a particular reason. I can't say it is a plot unless you believe that thousands of super-computers put one together. But like a wild animal, the market attempts to shake off those who are weak. Those of us who have invested for 20 years or more have seen this quite often. It will go down and all the weak investors are scared off and sell on the way down.

This is only a good idea if you intend to stay out of the market forever (you can't hack it) or if you are old or sick or otherwise in need of growing capital within the next 2-10 years. Most people are not in either of those situations. For example, we are near retirement so own 80% stocks but many are dividend producing. When prices go down we still get the same dividends - actually, it becomes a higher percentage return. If the stocks are decent that's a good time to buy a little more. Always be conservative if you are a normal retail investor.

This is just a PSA. Trump will be gone someday. Or he will be ignored. Like Warren Buffet or Tim Cook or the Google guys, I believe in the American and World economy although not in one particular sector or another. Stay the course if you are a serious investor. If the market goes down 20% I won't sell a single equity. I have worked out the solution to downturns. It's one that I think most people don't have the discipline for. This is to avoid looking when things are bad.

All I look at is my bank statements (not the brokerage) and see that the dividends are still coming in.

Hopefully this post will be taken in the spirit presented. If you can't sleep at night sell everything and figure something else out. If you are a long term investor, read about Bogle, Buffet, Lynch and others who did well by doing good things - investing for the long term. None of them ever changed their tune.
It's great to invest for the long term; I always did. But as I inch closer and closer to retirement; I get more and more nervous each time we see a drop.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:05 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's great to invest for the long term; I always did. But as I inch closer and closer to retirement; I get more and more nervous each time we see a drop.
Same here. I have about five years to retirement, and this is hitting too close for me.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 391,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
There is a zero % chance that Trump backs off unless Xi gives him an out where he can claim victory that his dumb base will believe (it won't take much).
Agreed, just like the NAFTA replacement, he’ll tweak the tarrifs 2% and rename ‘em the MAGA Tariffs and call it a Bigly win.

Meanwhile, just like the killing of NAFTA, companies and consumers hafta suffer

Last edited by TonyNC; 10-12-2018 at 12:51 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
As long as the climate deniers in the federal government subsidize insurance for coastal properties, no reason all of America shouldn't get on the gravy train. Its only fair.
Living in Raleigh, NC, I just had the “pleasure” of Hurricanes Florence & Michael pay us a visit.

Subsidizing insurance for coastal properties is kinda like paying farmers for not being able to export their products due to F’ing Moron’s tariffs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1LC23X

Where do I sign up to be a soybean farmer so that I can get this subsidy?! I hava large backyard!

Old 10-12-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Good reasonable post. Well presented !!!

The reason this thread is in this forum is people wanted to make it a political argument and some couldn't stand to see a favorable comment about Trump without attacking it. Its more about hate trump and his supporters for some posters than it is economy or market. Giving them a place to blow off some steam and talk about the economy and the market isn't a bad idea if it stops them from acts of violence. Its kind of like a public service.
For me phma, it’s F’ing Moron’s counter-productive tariffs that are costing people and companies a lotta money that brings me to this forum. It’s just a coincidence that I’m probably one of the very top Trump-haters. aka, hate the man, hate EVERY SINGLE one of his policies.

BTW, I’ve never considered violence FYI

Old 10-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
For me phma, it’s F’ing Moron’s counter-productive tariffs that are costing people and companies a lotta money that brings me to this forum. It’s just a coincidence that I’m probably one of the very top Trump-haters. aka, hate the man, hate EVERY SINGLE one of his policies.

BTW, I’ve never considered violence FYI
So what does that make me, 90% correct.
IDK if I can live with that.
Another 10% and I could have had it all.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
So what does that make me, 90% correct.
IDK if I can live with that.
Another 10% and I could have had it all.
I have absolutely no, zero (0) idea what your post means phma!

90% correct about what please?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
Living in Raleigh, NC, I just had the “pleasure” of Hurricanes Florence & Michael pay us a visit.

Subsidizing insurance for coastal properties is kinda like paying farmers for not being able to export their products due to F’ing Moron’s tariffs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1LC23X

Where do I sign up to be a soybean farmer so that I can get this subsidy?! I hava large backyard!
Welfare trump...fire up the printing press!

Trump creates trillion dollar deficits better than anyone else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies