Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 03:54 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Because the stock buybacks is nearing its end.

And the bill will soon come due.

So the people doing all the stock buy backs are just going to leave the money in as they see the stock price go down while they lose their investment. Is that the way its works ?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You haven't seen a collapse yet or todays session would have ended on the lows. Where is the panic ?
So the collapse is yet to come eh?
That doesn't sound good - considering the market has ALREADY lost virtually the entire years' gains.
LOL

Stocks don't have to end the day at the low to be a collapse. Stocks have been in collapse for WEEKS now. Not every single day and not all day on any of the days, but the trend has been down, down, down. It's lost over 1,500 points since it's peak earlier this month. If that doesn't constitute a "collapse" I don't know what does.

Again, wayyyyyyyyy lower than it was under Obama at this point in HIS presidency.

Ken

Old 10-23-2018, 04:01 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Because the stock buybacks is nearing its end.

And the bill will soon come due.

And the buybacks are the direct result of the phony tax reform which STOLE money from the US taxpayer.

That phony tax reform was supposed to stimulate business investment and growth. Instead, 75% of that phony tax cut went to stock buybacks artificially inflating the market.

Further, the country is fiscally much weaker - as deficits balloon - from the phony tax cut - actually THEFT from the Treasury.

It's ALL FAKE - just like Trump - the FAKE president.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
They work for years when Obama was in office making all the free money available with no increase in interest rates but they don't work anymore you say.

We aren't even halfway down point wise as we were in the January correction and your calling it a collapse.

We have a ways to go to test the lows at 23,500. Then you could see a collapse especially if S.A. sends oil to $200 a barrel.
Yeah, it's a COLLAPSE. You're right in that it COULD become a bigger collapse though - we'll just have to see. As long as Trump's tariffs remain in place and those interest rates remain high, I doubt you'll see a return to this years highs though.

Ken

Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, it's a COLLAPSE. You're right in that it COULD become a bigger collapse though - we'll just have to see. As long as Trump's tariffs remain in place and those interest rates remain high, I doubt you'll see a return to this years highs though.

Ken
I suppose its all based on how you define collapse. Here is an interesting one on point:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/collapse
To collapse means to fall over, cave in, or totally crumple. After finding out that the stock market has collapsed and your investments along with it, you'd probably collapse to the ground and sob uncontrollably.

I don't know how the posters can type comments in such a defined condition.

I'm not there, that much I know. The DOW is far from 18,000 or giving up all the gains since Trump has been in office.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I suppose its all based on how you define collapse. Here is an interesting one on point:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/collapse
To collapse means to fall over, cave in, or totally crumple. After finding out that the stock market has collapsed and your investments along with it, you'd probably collapse to the ground and sob uncontrollably.

I don't know how the posters can type comments in such a defined condition.

I'm not there, that much I know. The DOW is far from 18,000 or giving up all the gains since Trump has been in office.
Yeah, the market gains are still respectable - I've never denied that. They are just not as good as they were under Obama at this point. Obama oversaw a HUGE stock market gain - with the stock market more than doubling during his time in office.

All told, the Obama years were GREAT for the stock market, and the job market, and the housing market, and the banking industry, and the car industry. Rightwing folks on this site criticized Obama for the miserable Labor Force Participation Rate - which is even lower now under Trump than it was when Obama left office.
Strangely enough there's not a peep about it anymore from such folks.

I said at the time, the low LFPR was due to demographic changes and unlikely to improve much under Trump - and so far, I'm right on target with that prediction. Yet another example where rightwing folks don't really have a clue about the economy.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 10-23-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
So the people doing all the stock buy backs are just going to leave the money in as they see the stock price go down while they lose their investment. Is that the way its works ?
Most companies notoriously suck at buybacks. Great example is GE or IBM.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,095 times
Trump is in good shape if the bear market comes right after midterms. Then he will have time to recover.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 AM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Housing market appears to have begun a slide. Even new home sales are starting to fall. MAGA!

New home sales drops 5.5% in September to near two-year low
Quote:
Sales of new U.S. single-family homes fell to a near two-year low in September and data for the prior three months was revised lower, the latest indications that rising mortgage rates and higher prices were undercutting the housing market.

The Commerce Department said on Wednesday new home sales dropped 5.5 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 553,000 units last month. That was the lowest level since December 2016. August's sales pace was revised down to 585,000 units from the previously reported 629,000 units.

June and July sales rates were also revised lower. New home sales have now declined for four straight months.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Housing market appears to have begun a slide. Even new home sales are starting to fall. MAGA!

New home sales drops 5.5% in September to near two-year low
Yup.
That's what I've been saying.

New home sales look to be down this year from when Obama left office.

Car/truck sales are down from when Obama left office.

Average jobs created/month is down from when Obama left office.

Stock market gains are less than during the comparable time of Obama's 1st term.

Interest rates up from when Obama left office.

Deficit WAY UP from when Obama left office.

No improvement in the very low Labor Force Participation Rate from when Obama left office.

There ARE some positives for Trump still, but it appears that - compared to Obama's numbers - Trump is starting to lose ground and indeed is now trailing Obama on several of the more obvious statistics.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies