Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All there is to consider when it comes to the Yinyang of economics and trade between the U.S. and China, and all you pick out is this about Apple? Again why am I not surprised...

I'll clear that up for you.
You brought up and injected Apple into the discussion. So when I comment on it you find fault which seems to be all you really look for. More on Apple in the link I include below.

Quote:
And the ongoing "big alligator tears" rhetoric? Can't you simply talk in terms of facts and reason rather than forever showing your ultra nationalist true colors with all the drama? As if we Americans doing business don't know what we're doing regardless the issues you tend to focus upon?

At a minimum, let's be real. We don't do business with China that doesn't suit us. We don't mind their investments here either. Lots of good Americans (or communist supporters if you insist) more than happy to sell their company or building to Chinese interests if they are the highest bidder! From a business standpoint anyway, we're all generally better off when China and the U.S. are sharing growth economies without poking at one another like childish brats.
Poor China getting poked !!! They have been poking America from the start with their high tariffs and trade barriers. Your solution is lay down and take it like we always have.
Quote:

For those who can consider a bit better the bigger picture anyway, here's more that goes well beyond those imitation Gucci bags your shedding all those alligator tears about...

You don't have a clue about the big picture. Do you think you know more about China and Apple than Tim Cook ? It sounds like you do from your comments. So let Timmy give you a clue for a change.

Tim Cook says Apple’s ‘ecosystem has never been stronger
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/des...dist=bigcharts

Cook said he’s “very optimistic” a trade deal between the U.S. and China will be reached.
“I think a deal is very possible. And I’ve heard some very encouraging words,
” he said.

Cook said the company was still going strong, and its naysayers were full of “bologna.”

Maybe sandwiches are your forte and not the markets.
Timmy's giving you a hint of what to put in them. He doesn't think much of your ideas either.

Quote:
"In the end, as the recent economic news suggests, the two countries are likely to prosper together or fail together. A worsening slump in Chinese demand would hurt many more U.S. companies than Apple, as Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Kevin Hassett acknowledged last week. Washington has as much reason as Beijing to strike a deal before March 1, the deadline the U.S. has set for imposing a new round of tariffs.
You don't where the end is and you won't likely live to see it either. China's economy is struggling while America's remains the strongest in the world. China is struggling less from the tariffs than its own communist structured way of doing business. All the more reason to come to the negotiation table and solve what they can.
Quote:

In getting to yes, the U.S. needs to understand that no plausible deal will settle all of its complaints. That’s partly because some of its thinking — such as the overarching goal of balanced bilateral trade that Trump has often seemed to advocate — makes no economic sense. American companies and the U.S. government will continue to face hacking attacks from shadowy Chinese groups no matter what happens. The U.S. military will have to counter the build-up of Chinese capabilities in the South China Sea and elsewhere. The Chinese government, no less than the U.S. government, will find ways to support favored industries and lessen its reliance on foreign technology.

None of this need rule out a compromise that promotes mutually beneficial trade between the two countries. And always remember that, in most cases, the best way for the U.S. to address the problems posed by China’s economic and geopolitical ambitions is through intelligent domestic policy, not by raising trade barriers."
We have had people with your idea of trade deals negotiate before and they failed. That's one of the reasons we have Trump now. Negotiations should be an ongoing and up-dating process lasting for as long as there is a deal in place. Things change and it needs to be reflected onto new situations that develop over time. What you advocate for is more of the same old crap that has failed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...l?srnd=premium

Quote:
Let's hope China gets back to taking our trash too, BTW, or we'll REALLY be in a big pile of crap in no time...

Maybe China will take some of your crap ideas. America certainly doesn't need it.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:42 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
"Illustrating just how deep, widespread and painful the end of 2018 was for U.S. equity investors, no stock in the index has reached a new 52-week high in 14 trading days, tied for the longest stretch on record, according to data compiled by Bloomberg going back to 1990.

No S&P 500 stock has traded at a 52-week high since Dec. 17"

MAGA......being below a year ago is evidence of Trump's "moxie" as a "business person" (hint, he doesn't have any - he's an entertainer).

Old 01-09-2019, 11:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Here is some truth for ya. Trump is making progress and its the kind of progress the markets like. It's not a signed deal but just the news of progress propping up the markets. Trump's winning !!! When Trump wins America wins and wins big !!!

All the about poor old communist China. Report after report has put the markets at the mercy of China and US trade. Now the reports propping up the market say China is going to buy substantially more US goods.
Well, if this is true, which it likely isn't, it will be reflected in a vastly lower trade deficit with China. No way around that.

As we stand now we have been hitting new records since Trump has been in office. UP UP UP.....

When the Chinese Trade Deficit for a year is below 2015 or 2016 please let us know....of course, if it ends up being made that way by a horrible Recession where we lose Trillions, that does not count.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
[quote=phma;54101555]
Quote:

I'll clear that up for you.
You brought up and injected Apple into the discussion. So when I comment on it you find fault which seems to be all you really look for. More on Apple in the link I include below.

Poor China getting poked !!! They have been poking America from the start with their high tariffs and trade barriers. Your solution is lay down and take it like we always have.

You don't have a clue about the big picture. Do you think you know more about China and Apple than Tim Cook ? It sounds like you do from your comments. So let Timmy give you a clue for a change.

Tim Cook says Apple’s ‘ecosystem has never been stronger
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/des...dist=bigcharts

Cook said he’s “very optimistic” a trade deal between the U.S. and China will be reached.
“I think a deal is very possible. And I’ve heard some very encouraging words,
” he said.

Cook said the company was still going strong, and its naysayers were full of “bologna.”

Maybe sandwiches are your forte and not the markets.
Timmy's giving you a hint of what to put in them. He doesn't think much of your ideas either.

You don't where the end is and you won't likely live to see it either. China's economy is struggling while America's remains the strongest in the world. China is struggling less from the tariffs than its own communist structured way of doing business. All the more reason to come to the negotiation table and solve what they can.

We have had people with your idea of trade deals negotiate before and they failed. That's one of the reasons we have Trump now. Negotiations should be an ongoing and up-dating process lasting for as long as there is a deal in place. Things change and it needs to be reflected onto new situations that develop over time. What you advocate for is more of the same old crap that has failed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...l?srnd=premium

Maybe China will take some of your crap ideas. America certainly doesn't need it.
Seems you are over-working yourself and letting your Trump emotions get the better of you again...

Apple was part of the story when I tried to explain more about China/U.S. trade and still is, but only a small part of the story, despite the fact that Apple is now among the top most wealthy companies in the world, representing over 10 percent of S&P 500 returns.

I have no idea what you are referring to when you write about what I "advocate for." I don't think even you have an idea! What "crap" are you referring to exactly?

I "advocate" for understanding all that needs to be considered when it comes to international trade with China or any country for that matter! What a trade war does and/or does not. Specifics. Reality. Of course the many complex considerations are forever changing. That's why following the news and paying attention to what is happening means more to me than uninformed opinion based mostly on ego all wrapped up in love of Trump.

With all due respect to your deep experience and knowledge about international trade of course, I'm not making up some of these observations passed along by people who are at least known for knowing something about this subject!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Seems you are over-working yourself and letting your Trump emotions get the better of you again...

Apple was part of the story when I tried to explain more about China/U.S. trade and still is, but only a small part of the story, despite the fact that Apple is now among the top most wealthy companies in the world, representing over 10 percent of S&P 500 returns.

I have no idea what you are referring to when you write about what I "advocate for." I don't think even you have an idea! What "crap" are you referring to exactly?

I "advocate" for understanding all that needs to be considered when it comes to international trade with China or any country for that matter! What a trade war does and/or does not. Specifics. Reality. Of course the many complex considerations are forever changing. That's why following the news and paying attention to what is happening means more to me than uninformed opinion based mostly on ego all wrapped up in love of Trump.

With all due respect to your deep experience and knowledge about international trade of course, I'm not making up some of these observations passed along by people who are at least known for knowing something about this subject!

Fine, study up, understand it all.
Maybe you can export to China some of the condescending remarks and see if they want to import some ugly American attitudes. I doesn't go over well south of the border but maybe China is the market for it.
Its free !!! Its trade !!! Its free trade !!!

In other news :

Stocks poised for four-day winning streak on signs of easing U.S.-China trade tensions
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sto...dist=bigcharts

Last edited by phma; 01-09-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 09:33 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy.

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.

Here is some news you as a wise investor can take comfort in. I hope you avoided this mistake and didn't listen to anyone on here leading you astray.

Many retail investors panicked and sold during last month’s market meltdown (again)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/man...dist=bigcharts

Mom and pop investors just lost billions during Wall Street’s latest bait-and-switch, official figures show.
Ordinary investors dumped $44 billion in stock-market mutual funds and exchange-traded funds during the three-week plunge at the end of the year.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.18% has jumped more than 2,000 points, or about 10%, since hitting the lows around Christmas.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
A Trump Win would sink stocks

https://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/inv...llary-clinton/

hmm

Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
Quote:
Here is some news you as a wise investor can take comfort in. I hope you avoided this mistake and didn't listen to anyone on here leading you astray.

Many retail investors panicked and sold during last month’s market meltdown (again)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/man...dist=bigcharts

Mom and pop investors just lost billions during Wall Street’s latest bait-and-switch, official figures show.
Ordinary investors dumped $44 billion in stock-market mutual funds and exchange-traded funds during the three-week plunge at the end of the year.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.18% has jumped more than 2,000 points, or about 10%, since hitting the lows around Christmas.
Its not a bait and switch. There are 1000s of articles and news stories about how you should NOT sell into a sell-off like this, because people always do it and always come out worse than if they just rode it out. I happens like clock work every time. People just need to educate themselves and pay attention. Calling this a bait and switch is like telling someone you are surprised that the sun went down in the evening.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Fine, study up, understand it all.
Maybe you can export to China some of the condescending remarks and see if they want to import some ugly American attitudes. I doesn't go over well south of the border but maybe China is the market for it.
Its free !!! Its trade !!! Its free trade !!!

In other news :

Stocks poised for four-day winning streak on signs of easing U.S.-China trade tensions
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sto...dist=bigcharts
I was hoping China might get back to taking more of our trash again (and that you might tone down the drama), but at least you've got some more breaking news for us to consider. Hard not to be condescending in the face of so much on-going repeated nonsense, but are we yet again supposed to applaud some glimpse of market recovery after Trump first disrupts the markets with his trade war and now, perhaps, eases off a bit with respect to those "tensions?" As I have been "advocating" all along?!?

Should we applaud a wife beater when they suddenly decide to be a little nice?

Good grief. Have mercy!

Right. Back to the wall and the shutdown for more of how Trump is "absolutely the greatest!"

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-10-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies