Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 02:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Trump claims he went to Wharton!! I seem to remember Economics was kind of an entry course to get into the business school. Maybe the dementia has taken away what he supposedly learned there.
He never did well. Ever.

It was all about the legend...that never was. His "peak" times were when those tax returns are from. The Taj was also at "peak Trump".

The simplest measure is that his return has been vastly lower than if he put the money (his 300-450 million inheritance) into T-Bills, the DOW or any index fund.

That's really bad. You have to try to lose money to get that result.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yep, UP 3% in 17 months.

That's about 20% of the normal stock market returns and about zero when inflation is figured in.
"The inflation rate in 2018 was 2.44%" - add in the 5 months in 2019 and we are worse off than if we put it in a 1% CD.
So you and other people continue to ignore the obvious. Stock market and stocks are for LONG TERM INVESTMENT, meaning money you don't need in the next 3-5 years at a minimum. Not 17 months, not today, not yesterday, not tomorrow.

Yet you compare to a CD which is for SHORT TERM INVESTMENT, meaning 6, 12, 24 months etc, not 3-5 years.

And this doesn't even address the fact that if you want your money right away from the CD, you are still going to have to wait another 7 months to get that 1% interest in your hands unless you want to pay the penalty and end up upside down on your investment.

This also doesn't factor in that CD rates are closer to 3% than 1%, so you might want to refresh yourself on that.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:15 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Goal posts were set by YOU in the OP of this thread.

--------------------
01-04-2018, 09:51 AM
phma phma started this thread

President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000

They say it still has room to run !!!!

Go ahead 401K make my day !!!
-------------------

They are the one and only goalposts. If you want to start another thread for 2019, be my guest.

Dow was about 25.3 the day after you posted.

It is now over 16 months later and it is about 25.9

That is an increase of about 3% in 17 months, whereas even "normal" would be 15%, "poor" would be 10% and amazingly great would be 20%.

One cannot manipulate 3% into being good. It's really zero when inflation is figured in. Figure in the tax cuts (extra deficit forever!)...and its even worse.

Trump is fantastic at losing money. For himself...and, unfortunately, for others.
Sounds like the argument of someone who bought at the highs and sold at the lows.

The story at the time was all Armageddon from democrats and anti-Trumpers but we are in the green today. Closed over a 100 points to the up side.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:23 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Here's an interesting excerpt from an article in Politifact re Trump, China, and the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP):

"Trump said the Trans Pacific Partnership 'was designed for China to come in, as they always do, through the back door and totally take advantage of everyone.'

Not only is China not [emphasis added] a part of the TPP, but the experts we talked to all agreed: The TPP isn't isn't exciting news for China. There's a chance that China could join the TPP down the line, but not without robust changes to its economy. Until then, China doesn't stand to gain much from having trade diverted to other countries.

Trump can't blame everything on China. We rate this statement Pants on Fire!"

Old 05-10-2019, 03:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I explained all this already and pointed out how China pays in this process.
No, you didn't. You just made up a bunch of silly an ignorant BS.

Ken

Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Sounds like the argument of someone who bought at the highs and sold at the lows.

The story at the time was all Armageddon from democrats and anti-Trumpers but we are in the green today. Closed over a 100 points to the up side.
You have lost track of much of what is being talked about.

The only reason the markets are staying stable at the low returns (still WAY behind what they should be) is that the market believes Trump is lying and will never follow through on his threats.

Now....follow along....if you and I and the market knows he is BS, what do you think the smart Chinese negotiators and leaders know???

Of course. They know he is easily taken advantage of and, although into chaos, is not effective at doing anything.

Putting it yet another way - the odds of the Chinese trade deficit being more than 10 or 15% different than today - in 1, 2 or even 5 years....are about zilch. Whether it is 600 Billion or 500 Billion isn't really relevant.....if Trump is to "make a deal that is effective" we have to be on the way to erasing that deficit. We aren't.

Why doesn't Trump talk about our TRILLION dollar yearly budget deficit? Isn't that of even more importance than this? Of course it is....but the King of Debt and King of Tariffs doesn't care about the Right Thing. He doesn't even know right from wrong.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
He helped my economy by getting rid of that evil obabamcare so now I will finally get my full tax refund that obama stole from me in recent years

Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
He helped my economy by getting rid of that evil obabamcare so now I will finally get my full tax refund that obama stole from me in recent years
Sure hope you don’t have to go to the hospital. Could cost you many, many thousands of $$$$$’s. Even young people get sick or need surgery.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:25 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Sure hope you don’t have to go to the hospital. Could cost you many, many thousands of $$$$$’s. Even young people get sick or need surgery.
I have seen what doctors have done to people so no thanks.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Jan 30, 2018 - The current economic expansion began in June 2009 -- or 8 years and 7 months ago. If this one makes it to 10 years old next summer, it'll be the longest in U.S. history.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/30/new...ory/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies