Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,837,966 times

Advertisements

And -- those articles that suggest there has been an increase in interest in golf, they are comparing to numbers that are significantly lower than when golf was a big deal.

Saying there has been a slight increase after a decade of losing or downward profits....isn't exactly evidence of a big increase in interest in golf.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,536,210 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You and me both wonder.....Sarasota, BTW, is famous for being Trump Central. His campaign blossomed there at the Robarts Arena AND be actually made up his "Wall" lies and talking points there. Just a bit of history for you.
I was there !!! Were you ?
I know what happened and I know the lies being told and spread by anti Trumpers about it.

Also, the two Golf Courses I know of back in NJ that the town bought - GOP controlled towns and counties.

Not claiming it is exclusive to Republicans...BUT, you should know that the question of whether to buy it or not was never discussed. That is, it didn't even occur to them that they shouldn't be in the biz. Republicans. Unlike the rest of us, the Republicans who held county and city jobs had plenty of time to be out on the course, hence it was a no-brainer to buy it.

So now you want to cherry pick and distract to NJ. Like only those in the GOP play golf.

I got some news for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyDXw3iLooo

Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 AM

Did Obama invest in a golf course?

What a turkey?

Oh no - -he just played golf.

LOL.

I thought we were debating the merits of investing in a golf course -- not the merits of playing golf.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Did Obama invest in a golf course?

What a turkey?

Oh no - -he just played golf.

LOL.

I thought we were debating the merits of investing in a golf course -- not the merits of playing golf.
The cost of playing golf is an investment, especially if done regularly, and as a member of a country club.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The cost of playing golf is an investment, especially if done regularly, and as a member of a country club.
Good try at a spin!!!1

I tell you -- you should apply for a job in the White House -- you are much better at spinning than Conway,Sanders,....

Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Good try at a spin!!!1

I tell you -- you should apply for a job in the White House -- you are much better at spinning than Conway,Sanders,....
Just the facts !!!

Its well known that there is a lot of business conducted on the country club golf courses. Show us a poor person with the country club membership if you can. People who want to mingle with the decisions makers/king makers make the investment to play golf.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Just the facts !!!

Its well known that there is a lot of business conducted on the country club golf courses. Show us a poor person with the country club membership if you can. People who want to mingle with the decisions makers/king makers make the investment to play golf.
That's the claim -- my husband was in that development world -- deals on the course. Truth -- never deals on the course -- just an excuse to play golf.

In his 20's my husband played minimum one round of golf a week for 'business'.

By the time he hit his 40's and his office was on a golf course -- he has played zero golf for business.

It has declined.

Golf is still a real hobby for some.

(for the record most 'leisure activities' for business have declined........occasionally a fishing trip here in the southeast or hunting but it is minimal).

Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,583,472 times
Quote:
And -- those articles that suggest there has been an increase in interest in golf, they are comparing to numbers that are significantly lower than when golf was a big deal.

Saying there has been a slight increase after a decade of losing or downward profits....isn't exactly evidence of a big increase in interest in golf.
Well, this is exactly like this thread!

The Dow goes up 3% in 17 months, then down to nothing in 17 months...then up 3% again...and people say that is GREAT. The best ever.

I have to say, tho, I understand completely what you are saying. We were discussing Trump being in all the wrong businesses at the wrong times.....he has a knack for that. Which is why he went broke do many times and has a terrible ROI.

I remember when they were building out all those Golf communities....I shook my head and wondered who the heck was going to play all of them??

It was like a bubble in itself. My parents lived in Hilton Head...the course was perfectly good but they shut it down for a year to put FIVE MILLION additional dollars (a bond for the development) into the Golf Course alone! That's for something like 160 homes (max) and no outside players allowed.

Well, lo and behold, before long I could have purchased a 1.2 million dollar home in there for 500K. I actually looked at one...but, wow, the yearly fees added up to 30K or so.

The tennis courts were nice tho.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:12 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,583,472 times
Quote:
Just the facts !!!

WAS TRUE. But using the demographics now, is not true any longer.

I can assure you, having lots of connections and relatives and personal experience in two large economic miracles (Boston area and Silicon Valley) that this is NOT the case. Deals are made over breakfast.

It is true that the "Southern Real Estate Model" type of business was done on the course.....and probably still is to a certain extent. But given the average age of Golfers, something does not compute.

28 - Average age of Google Employee
26 - Average age of top tier DJI (advanced Drone Co) employee
54 - Average age of Golfer

What is wrong with this picture?

Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,320,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
28 - Average age of Google Employee
26 - Average age of top tier DJI (advanced Drone Co) employee
54 - Average age of Golfer
Here's one that impresses me.

29 - Average age of SpaceX employee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies