Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM

5,233 posts, read 6,159,630 times

Advertisements

This whole line of reasoning is ridiculous. People who swore the economy was horrible under Obama regardless of those indexes posting huge gains on his watch are now swearing we are in great shape based on moderate gains under Trump.

The other thing to be mentioned is that the folks who are benefitting most from stock growth were already in good shape. The people who had to sell off during the Great Recession and could not reinvest basically lost twice- and that applies to people across the political spectrum.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:20 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,931,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Not by much.
Lol, take out the DOW and the other three are around 8-10% YTD, thats way more than "not much" and even if you average in the DOW its still a decent return across the board. Keep in mind though the DOW is a fairly insignificant reflection of the overall market, it just has some history behind it so people like to look at it.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,540,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
DOW is up by about 100 points, which is what...0.1%. Lets pop the champagne
Imagine someone actually took issue when I said,
"Anyone care to celebrate?" :

It might test the floor around 23,500 but who knows. No one.

I would be putting a toe in the water around 24,000.

Last edited by phma; 08-15-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM

76,976 posts, read 47,297,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Imagine someone actually took issue when I said,
"Anyone care to celebrate?"
You must have said it under your breath, because I have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:24 PM

For those who like Technical Analysis and might have missed it.

There was a gap on the latest down move.
99% of the time gaps get fill, so I have been told, and I don't dispute that. Naturally there is no exact timeline for when the gap gets filled. Price can move to the downside fairly far before that happens but many times it doesn't in a sideways price pattern.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:46 PM

76,976 posts, read 47,297,922 times
I hope it is not a sign of things to come

The Dow just registered its longest stint in correction territory in nearly 60 years

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...ars-2018-08-15

The blue-chip benchmark failed to move 10% above the closing low hit earlier in the year (something that appears increasingly unlikely in current trade), and has now spent the longest period in correction territory—131 trading sessions—since the 223 sessions in 1961, according to Dow Jones Market Data.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:57 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,587,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Lol, take out the DOW and the other three are around 8-10% YTD, thats way more than "not much" and even if you average in the DOW its still a decent return across the board. Keep in mind though the DOW is a fairly insignificant reflection of the overall market, it just has some history behind it so people like to look at it.
Hmmm......so it's "decent" in the lowest unemployment and after record corporate profits and trillions more borrowed to give away free to corporations, billionaires and consumers? And that is worth crowing about???

Amazing. One only imagines you in a parade when it was consistently up 15% or more each year under Bill Clinton......

Hmmmm...wasn't this thread titled about the DOW? Isn't the DOW down fairly seriously in the last 7 months? Went nowhere the time since this thread was started.....let me check.....
Was over 25K at the time of the first post - 7 1/2 months ago - and, yep, is about exactly the same today......

Interest rates are higher. Health care costs are higher. Wages are NOT higher. The DOW is not higher.

I must be missing something in this picture. Even a 10% gain in 7 months in this booming economy would not be out of line.

Yet, my larger and diverse portfolio shows a SMALLER gain - quite a bit smaller - than even the gain when I figure in the market crash. The 3 years is lower than the average, and since 1 1/2 plus years of that is Trump (and we KNOW Obama couldn't have done anything), it's fairly clear.

5 year, on the other hand, includes much more of that "horrible Obummer Economy", right....yet, wow, it's substantially higher. Not only that but I didn't have to think about the Risk that Tweeting Tan one has added to the formula.

Maybe it's me but I'd rather have 11% plus made...even including the worst Recession in a Century.....than less or the same when things are MAGA and people are shouting from the rooftops on how much of a Gawd their POTUS is......
Attached Thumbnails
President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000-screen-shot-2018-08-15-6.53.13  

Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I hope it is not a sign of things to come

The Dow just registered its longest stint in correction territory in nearly 60 years

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...ars-2018-08-15

The blue-chip benchmark failed to move 10% above the closing low hit earlier in the year (something that appears increasingly unlikely in current trade), and has now spent the longest period in correction territory—131 trading sessions—since the 223 sessions in 1961, according to Dow Jones Market Data.
To get the real perspective read the comments below the article.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:29 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,931,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hmmm......so it's "decent" in the lowest unemployment and after record corporate profits and trillions more borrowed to give away free to corporations, billionaires and consumers? And that is worth crowing about???

Amazing. One only imagines you in a parade when it was consistently up 15% or more each year under Bill Clinton......

Hmmmm...wasn't this thread titled about the DOW? Isn't the DOW down fairly seriously in the last 7 months? Went nowhere the time since this thread was started.....let me check.....
Was over 25K at the time of the first post - 7 1/2 months ago - and, yep, is about exactly the same today......

Interest rates are higher. Health care costs are higher. Wages are NOT higher. The DOW is not higher.

I must be missing something in this picture. Even a 10% gain in 7 months in this booming economy would not be out of line.

Yet, my larger and diverse portfolio shows a SMALLER gain - quite a bit smaller - than even the gain when I figure in the market crash. The 3 years is lower than the average, and since 1 1/2 plus years of that is Trump (and we KNOW Obama couldn't have done anything), it's fairly clear.

5 year, on the other hand, includes much more of that "horrible Obummer Economy", right....yet, wow, it's substantially higher. Not only that but I didn't have to think about the Risk that Tweeting Tan one has added to the formula.

Maybe it's me but I'd rather have 11% plus made...even including the worst Recession in a Century.....than less or the same when things are MAGA and people are shouting from the rooftops on how much of a Gawd their POTUS is......
Yes, the DOW (an almost irrelevant indicator as pointed out by many financial analysts) is having a decent year, while the other major indexes are up around 10% for about 3/4 of the year. Who knows what comes next but thats pretty good.

Do you really think you can give examples of other things and then follow it with the repeated lie that "the DOW is not higher" its a ridiculous lie and anyone with two eyes and a 5th grade education can figure out that its a lie to say what you just said.

And yeah this thread WAS about the DOW, but the comment I replied to referenced made a 100% inaccurate reference saying "zero gains" for the year so I felt it important to point out they were wrong on multiple levels because people believe the garbage they see here sometimes without fact checking, so I presented info on not only the DOW but the other three indexes to prove two points: a) the DOW was indeed up YTD and b) there are multiple other (and better) indicators that are all up significantly.

I don't understand your rant about Clinton and 15%. Im on record here on this site saying probably 100s of times that I do not assign positive or negative credit to any POTUS regardless of party when it comes to the market. Its ignorant and childish to believe that nonsense regardless of which player from your favorite or least favorite team says it.

Nobody cares about your portfolio other than you. You can post about it all you want, and if I was an obnoxious braggart I could show you things with mine that might look great, but its a sample size of one so its irrelevant.

To yammer on about how you believe that Obama had anything to do with your returns being so great is silly, a circus chimp could have been POTUS and we still would have seen a huge increase in the markets, thats how a crash works, they rebound over time regardless of who the president is. And guess what, after huge run ups they also crash, so as much as the run up between 08-today isn't Obama or Trumps doing, neither will the coming shake out be Trumps or whoever follows him. Tweets and all of the other actions of the POTUS have limited short term impact on the market. Companies actually making money, being transparent about their earnings, making smart decisions, and working within the guidelines of the laws and markets are what makes the market, not some dumb chimp in a suit that a bunch of even more stupid people voted into office.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,846,286 times
Well the dow is up from January 3, 2018 but down from January 5, 2018. \

It is being touted as the longest correction in a decade.

https://www.investopedia.com/news/st...ongest-decade/

Whatever -- it means for most that just sock money into a 401K and leave it -- not much has changed for them.
For those that day trade -- maybe if they were paying attention.

And most of all of it -- Trump has little to do with any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies