Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I live comfortably with all of that here in upstate NY. Not a big deal for me. The main problem I have with CA is the astronomical housing costs and extreme inequality, which are the result of the free-market and not Evil Liberals.
I agree with that. Same reason NYC, and environs have very high housing costs. It is supply, and demand, not Progressive policies that drive those costs. Now high property/real estate taxes are another matter, and that does affect the cost of housing, but if you can't afford the admission price, then you can't afford the taxes either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
I live comfortably with all of that here in upstate NY. Not a big deal for me. The main problem I have with CA is the astronomical housing costs and extreme inequality, which are the result of the free-market and not Evil Liberals.
Seriously? The result of the free-market?

As far as the housing costs go, one problem is that builders are not building "affordable" housing anymore (as they did in the 70's) like the tract homes found in Mira Mesa, where we bought our first home for $21,500 in 1972. In today's dollars (and I did the check) that comes nowhere close to what those same houses are selling for today. That has to do with California weather (desirability = demand) and the expanding population (in spite of the fact that many long time residents are leaving the state), creating a housing shortage in San Diego. Builders are only building more upscale houses, while those older homes built in the 70's have skyrocketed into the $500,000 + range.

But other factors affect housing costs for builders, and that is environmental regulations. They were being prevented from building on certain lands to protect things like "vernal pools" (mud holes) and "mesa mint." They were being required to submit environmental impact studies and other things as well. All these things cost money.

Free-market does not create "inequality." When everyone has equal opportunity, "inequality" is caused by lack of education (lack of skills) or some other cause.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Nice . Oh wow 550k for that. Well I paid 180k for my house in Austin, Tx , and its larger than that. Half my neighborhood is from California , wonder why all of them keep telling me to never go there. Hmmmm... must be something? right?
Real estate is solely supply vs. demand.

Do the math.

Austin costs more than that now, no?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:26 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Seriously? The result of the free-market?

But other factors affect housing costs for builders, and that is environmental regulations. They were being prevented from building on certain lands to protect things like "vernal pools" (mud holes) and "mesa mint." They were being required to submit environmental impact studies and other things as well. All these things cost money.
Yes, environmental regulations increase costs, but they are probably a (distant) secondary factor.

The main reason is desirability: a lot of people are willing (and able) to pay top dollar for nice weather and CA culture. So plenty of people will move to CA even if it means living paycheck to paycheck with no money left over for spending, saving, or investing.

I grew up in an ultra-conservative Christian sect in the Northeast, so I’m used to conservative attitudes and lousy weather. It’s not worth it (to me) to pay 4x for half the house, just to live in CA. But for plenty of other people, it is worth it. Quite a few people are even willing to live with roommates to make it happen.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
For all the talk about “California Liberals,†I don’t see anything “liberal†about California except for social issues like gay marriage.

California has Latin American levels of income inequality and poverty. Yes, it’s a huge economy, but most of it is concentrated in the Bay Area and Los Angeles with huge areas of dirt-poor agricultural economies in-between. Most of the economic output gets sunk into the Mortgage and Real Estate economy because of the astronomical housing costs. The banks and city landowners are getting the most of the fruits of the world’s sixth largest economy.

Yes, California has a lot of amazing weather and scenery, but there’s plenty of social dysfunction to go along with it.
That is the result of liberal policies. It may not be the intention of liberal policies but when liberal policies are put into practice that's what you get.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You live with most of those things in NY State but not all. For example there is no Prop 13 in New York State Also NY while Dem dominated is not as much of a one party state as CA

Old 01-05-2018, 10:58 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
So LA has pockets of poverty.

Let me guess, big cities in Conservative states, such as Atlanta, New Orleans or Memphis are, in their entirety, squeaky clean, safe and rich?
I've asked and no one has shown me one video yet that involves a long drive threw a conservative city to a wide spread problem like in LA.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That is the result of liberal policies. It may not be the intention of liberal policies but when liberal policies are put into practice that's what you get.
Higher taxes will increase the cost of living, yes. But taxes where I live are high (from liberal NY state policies) and yet the overall COL is low here due to affordable housing. Nobody gets bragging rights for living in the Southern Tier of New York State, the winters here are cold, and we have a Rust Belt economy. Nobody dreams of living where I live. The end result is affordability despite liberal policies.

It’s all about supply and demand when it comes to housing costs.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You live with most of those things in NY State but not all. For example there is no Prop 13 in New York State Also NY while Dem dominated is not as much of a one party state as CA
I thought prop 13 was a policy to put a cap on property taxes. How is prop 13 a liberal policy?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I thought prop 13 was a policy to put a cap on property taxes. How is prop 13 a liberal policy?
It means low property taxes and high taxes on everything else.

A similar model to the Euro social democracies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies