Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:02 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,626,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
As of 2013, the rural poverty rate was 2% points higher than the overall US poverty rate.

So yes, I would call that widespread. Poverty in rural areas is widespread, moreso than in urban areas.
What do we mean by poverty? There are poor people everywhere, but this video is showing something else. Most people considered to be living in poverty are not in a tent on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:06 PM

20,857 posts, read 9,510,694 times
You're asking me to show you a tall skyscraper in a rural area. They basically don't exist (or at least rarely). Similarly, large congregations of people - rich, poor, homed or homeless - basically don't exist (or at least rarely) in rural areas. It's the nature of rural areas to not have skyscrapers, just as it is the nature of rural areas to not have large congregations of people. If they had large congregations of people, they wouldn't be rural! Since you don't find large congregations of people in rural/conservative areas, you're unlikely to find large congregations of homeless people in rural areas.

That said, just because they don't congregate doesn't mean they don't exist in large numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,079,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Oh cool, another pointless thread bashing California and making baseless claims about "liberals." What are you so insecure about, OP?
Not afraid of anything.....

In fact, when the big one hits and half of California floats off into the Pacific, I'll stand at the east side of the San Andreas fault and wave goodbye.

Don't expect me to throw you a rope though......

Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
High Taxes. High Housing Costs. High Regulation. High UN-Employment and High Amounts Of Illegals = What you see in this video.

Please view the video below. This is dream liberals want for our country. They want you to feed off the government and be broke/homeless, or they want to Tax you death.

This video is only one year old. I can only imagine what it looks like now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7HozzSGakA&t=368s
Yes, California, the state whose tax revenue supports dozens of red states.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:09 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,247,410 times
Quote:
2014????? LOL , where have you been? California is projected to lose over 400k jobs once your 15 an hour wages kick in.

California has also lost over 5 million residents in the past decade.. It has one trillion in un-funded pensions... Its bleeding out .. Lets not fool ourselves. The numbers don't lie.

$15 Minimum Wage Study Shows Bleak Future For California

Reading comprehension would help. Those were the 2017 figures for 2016. The numbers don't lie.

California tourism industry grows for the 7th straight year, report says - LA Times

But here is something more recent. Still growing. Still a thread failure.

The only slowdown is in US tourism due to the Trump effect--people are hesitant to come to the US to visit.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/0...owing-tourist/

Old 01-04-2018, 02:15 PM

693 posts, read 356,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
So, by becoming a sanctuary state the idea was not to increase this problem, but to make it better? Please explain why California thinks this is a good idea to let more illegal immigrants, because I think this is where the OP is going with this. Letting in more undocumented people increases this problem doesn't it?
Not by much.

If undocumented people is the cause for all that poverty in Cali as you believe.....then what's the reason for all the poverty in rural red states?

See what I mean by cherry picking? In a state with nearly 40 million, you got just about 115k homeless. That's peanuts.

Cali has the largest economy in the country. Let's also not forget that red states take the most in fed dollars....that usually come from blue states.

If you believe that THAT is what liberals want for the country, then I have a bridge to sell you. Again, I can, as can so many others, show all the bad in red states, and pose the same statement.....that's what conservatives want for the country.

Mississippi, West Virginia and Arkansas are some of the poorest states in the country. Is that what conservatives want for the country?

Mississippi, Texas and Arkansas have some of the highest teen pregnancy rates. Is that what conservatives want for the country?

Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Kentucky have some of the most least educated in the country. Is that what conservatives want for the country?

Need I go on?

Old 01-04-2018, 02:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Then why did we bail out the big banks and GM?
I was completely against it.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:19 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Not by much.

If undocumented people is the cause for all that poverty in Cali as you believe.....then what's the reason for all the poverty in rural red states?

See what I mean by cherry picking? In a state with nearly 40 million, you got just about 115k homeless. That's peanuts.

Cali has the largest economy in the country. Let's also not forget that red states take the most in fed dollars....that usually come from blue states.

If you believe that THAT is what liberals want for the country, then I have a bridge to sell you. Again, I can, as can so many others, show all the bad in red states, and pose the same statement.....that's what conservatives want for the country.

Mississippi, West Virginia and Arkansas are some of the poorest states in the country. Is that what conservatives want for the country?

Mississippi, Texas and Arkansas have some of the highest teen pregnancy rates. Is that what conservatives want for the country?

Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Kentucky have some of the most least educated in the country. Is that what conservatives want for the country?

Need I go on?
https://fairus.org/press-releases/il...ear-finds-fair

25 Billion Dollars of US Taxpayer dollars goes to support illegals in California.

Need I go on?

Old 01-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
https://fairus.org/press-releases/il...ear-finds-fair

25 Billion Dollars of US Taxpayer dollars goes to support illegals in California.

Need I go on?
Check out which states rely the most on federal aid. Need I go on?

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 PM

Need I go on part 2?

"Only three states were more dependent on the federal government than Alabama: Kentucky (first); Mississippi (second); and New Mexico (third.) Alabama comes in fourth, followed by West Virginia (fifth); South Carolina (sixth); Montana (seventh); Tennessee (eighth); Maine (ninth); and Indiana (10th)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies