Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 07:38 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times

Advertisements

Just to note that these closings were announced back in August of 2016 and they are simply releasing the actual locations that are part of this. So technically this happened under Obama's presidency, however I am not here to blame president's as it is a shift in the brick in mortar vs. online marketplace that has been ongoing for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Employees in some of the closing stores are being recruited in store while they work as the Sears store closes. Some have had 5 or more offers. In many areas there is a shortage of people willing to work for chump change that can pass a drug test.
It's nothing new and it's not just for chump change jobs.

More than 30 years back I worked for a big defense contractor that paid the highest wages in the area. And it was pretty amazing how few prospective hires could pass the drug screen even back then. The workforce tended to be MUCH older than the surrounding demographics.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times
Sears is a dinosaur plain and simple. They never got into the online retail as much as they should have and should have never stopped the catalog IMO. This should not necessarily be in Politics but since some are so fervent to make it political they start it here instead of Shopping or Current Events where a rational discussion could possibly take place.

That being said, my last dealing with Sears was ordering a part for my Craftsman (real Crafstman not some new MTD garbage) snowthrower. It said the belts were in stock for pickup and I would get an email when it was ready. Being that the store was 20 minutes away I did not want to waste the drive so I ordered and waited for the email. I received the order status stating that the part would be in stock for pickup in 2 weeks?!?!. Immediately I went online to cancel my order but the page simply gives you the status detail no way to web chat, cancel, etc. I had to call and wait for 25 minutes on hold and once I reached a person they had to escalate to a manager. The manager then said they couldn't cancel it and had to do it from some back channel procedure (oooh cryptic). This was a half hour on the phone to cancel an order that was just placed. Something I could have cancelled on Amazon within seconds or expected at my door in two days. I got off the phone with the assurance I would be refunded within 24 hours, meanwhile I went to Amazon and ordered my part. It arrived in two days, was installed and being used. Meanwhile two weeks went by before I got an email stating my order had arrived from Sears and was available for pickup, followed by an email a few hours later of the cancellation. They waited the whole time to cancel and refund my money, what a joke and complete disarray and solidified my desire to stay away from Sears from that point on.

I go to other sources to find the part numbers then search Amazon, ebay, etc. for what I need. No time to waste with such a disorderly system.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:47 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I never shopped at Sears for clothing. For a woman, I think their clothing is just awful and always has been. However, I sort of liked their appliances back in the day. I think most people in my area are not getting appliances through Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc. I absolutely HATE going into those stores for appliances because you can't get a person to even look at you. I just wonder why they couldn't keep afloat in, at least, that department.
I agree that their womens clothing is awful. I've found that their kids stuff is awesome though!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Don't blame millenials too much. I know many millenials and am a parent to two of them. I don't know ONE of them that hates shopping. My daughter LOVES to go to the mall. LOVES it. When I go to our very busy malls in my area, it has more millenials in it than any other demographic.

But the millenials also value getting necessities quickly. My daughter and son are BIG users of Amazon. Rather than run up to Target for some shampoo or socks, they will use their Amazon Prime accounts.
I just don’t get how it’s quicker to order online when you can get it at the store immediately rather than wait for a delivery days or weeks later. I also don’t understand buying things you have not seen or tried out. I’m sorry I just don’t get it. I do understand that each generation makes changes and does thing thier way but with all this automation and online shopping there will be severe consequences for our society. I’m not sure people fully understand where all this will lead.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:59 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I just don’t get how it’s quicker to order online when you can get it at the store immediately rather than wait for a delivery days or weeks later. I also don’t understand buying things you have not seen or tried out. I’m sorry I just don’t get it. I do understand that each generation makes changes and does thing thier way but with all this automation and online shopping there will be severe consequences for our society. I’m not sure people fully understand where all this will lead.
It's not that it is quicker it is that millennials live their lives online, so it is only natural that they do most of their buying online.

If you look at the stats, Millennials don't go to movies as much, drive as much, get as much exercise, or even go outside as much as previous generations. It's a different world - one where the living is virtual - like spending too much time on CD, only I don't think there are too many of them on here.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Just to note that these closings were announced back in August of 2016 and they are simply releasing the actual locations that are part of this. So technically this happened under Obama's presidency, however I am not here to blame president's as it is a shift in the brick in mortar vs. online marketplace that has been ongoing for several years.
The initial numbers were under Obama. Both stores have revised their numbers upward based on 2017 earnings. The "news" was that it was an additional increase to initial reports.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I'm with you on this. It's definitely not quicker, but they just don't want to go to the store to get a pair of socks.

My daughter did do a lot of online ordering for clothing. She has come around now to actually wanting to see it/touch it/try it because she was spending a LOT of time repackaging and going to the UPS drop off for the clothing.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:07 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Lowes will be selling Craftsman tools. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/stan...ool-brand.html

Sears sold Craftsman to Black and Decker.
Sears to Sell the Iconic Craftsman Brand After 90 Years

What about Kenmore? That's the only reason I ever go to Sears now. We just bought a new Kenmore washer and dryer set a few months ago, and so far they've been working great. So I'm glad they held out as long as they did, at least.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:10 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...res/ar-BBHRtZV

Trump's fault? You can bet if they were hiring 5,000, he'd be taking credit for it.
Think "internet", I thought everyone was aware this was happening with retail stores.

What Retail Stores Are Closing Most Locations Due to Amazon? | Money

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richard.../#256bed094159

Everyone pushing for shipping DACA back to their homeland along with other illegal aliens will help open jobs for those losing them. 1 in 8 illegal aliens hold a white collar job which would be suitable for some of these others losing their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies