Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 06:12 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,378,651 times

Advertisements

there have always been mentally ill people and there always will be mentally ill people. trump isn't the problem for these people. anxiety and depression are debilitating illnesses and trump is just a convenient excuse or the focus for their disease of mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 01:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Really! A therapist tells how her clients obsessively watch political news and read social media...and it's ruining their jobs, their relationships and their sex lives

From WaPo -

"A remarkable number of clients report experiencing nightmares in which the president makes an appearance. It’s not unusual for a client to recount their personal challenges in a calm and contained tone and then burst into tears while describing their concern about our current political climate. One particular aspect of this stress is, in my experience, increasing — the stress associated with news consumption."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cedff2ea8fdf

Burst into tears? I can see that. I suspect I've interacted with liberal posters here typing madly through their tears.
It's fear. Many veterans from the Korean War era are terrified of what Trump may get us into and freak out every time he pokes at Un through Twitter. My elderly uncle, a veteran and long-term civil servant, is one of them because he knows better than most what the stakes are. Don't discount that as unwarranted hysteria.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:54 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Really! A therapist tells how her clients obsessively watch political news and read social media...and it's ruining their jobs, their relationships and their sex lives

From WaPo -

"A remarkable number of clients report experiencing nightmares in which the president makes an appearance. It’s not unusual for a client to recount their personal challenges in a calm and contained tone and then burst into tears while describing their concern about our current political climate. One particular aspect of this stress is, in my experience, increasing — the stress associated with news consumption."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cedff2ea8fdf

Burst into tears? I can see that. I suspect I've interacted with liberal posters here typing madly through their tears.

My in laws are despondent that Trump is dealing with such criticism. They have Fox news on the boob tube and Drudge on their tablets, sitting around getting angry that their Tangerine Nightmare is being treated unfairly.

It's on both sides.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:57 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,734,181 times
Snowflakers

Old 01-05-2018, 02:02 PM

5,293 posts, read 5,235,122 times
It would be depressing to constantly watch all the news about this horrible administration...hence I only watch a few min each morning and evening then unplug into better things...watching too much political news regardless of the side you're on is just not good for anyone.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,082 times
I am what you alt righties would undoubtedly consider a "liberal poster". Mainly because I am proudly left of "bat **** crazy". Anyway, while I admit I did not want Trump to win, I have yet to shed one of these tears you are referring to. Why should I? I've got front row seats to something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime: the complete destruction of the GOP!

I'll admit that I was concerned at first about the direction he was going to take. But after witnessing what we've seen over the last year I now know I have nothing to worry about. In fact, I hope this FBI investigation goes nowhere, which I am confident at this point that it will, for the sole purpose of leaving him be to do the work no Democrat or liberal could possibly do on their own. Nope, you won't see any tears from this poster.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:24 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's fear. Many veterans from the Korean War era are terrified of what Trump may get us into and freak out every time he pokes at Un through Twitter. My elderly uncle, a veteran and long-term civil servant, is one of them because he knows better than most what the stakes are. Don't discount that as unwarranted hysteria.
Yeah, and many aren't too.

My Korean War Vet uncle isn't a fan of commies foreign or domestic. His hat says "MAGA"

Old 01-05-2018, 02:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Yeah, and many aren't too.

My Korean War Vet uncle isn't a fan of commies foreign or domestic. His hat says "MAGA"
Some have knowledge of things that the public does not and stay awake at night while the rest of us sleep soundly. For the most part, I sleep soundly, too, but my uncle does not, and it does make me wonder because I know generally what his career in the Defense Department entailed. He worries a lot about the way Trump pokes at Un.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My in laws are despondent that Trump is dealing with such criticism. They have Fox news on the boob tube and Drudge on their tablets, sitting around getting angry that their Tangerine Nightmare is being treated unfairly.

It's on both sides.

We have a lady where I work (a resident) who watches Fox news constantly. One day before the election her Doctor wanted her BP taken (it had been high for a week or so). I said to her, "Maybe you should shut that stuff off, it'd make you feel better." She said, "Oh no, I have to know what is happening." I said, "Well, okay."
If she wanted to make herself sick not much I could do about it. Everyone needs to step back, shut it off and shut it down more than once in a while.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:41 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,560,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This reminds me of the Hillary supporter who had to check himself into the psych ward when Hillary lost. Was found in a fetal position in a corner of the Javitts center on election night.
LOL -- Was he the same guy who tattooed Hillary's face on his leg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies