Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:46 PM

304 posts, read 295,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
When my country's healthcare system implodes due to flu season and forces the cancellation of 50k-plus surgeries, I'll definitely begin researching why that is. But that hasn't happened to us. It's happened to the UK. Which is what we're discussing.
Where's the implosion? You're issue is that you think you're nose job is more important than the health and life of someone else. That's absurd. It's amazing that their system can make the call to divert resources to the highest need during times of crisis and hopefully reduce potential loss of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 07:54 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Last I read, NHS was losing a bunch of nurses and other medical professionals since the Brexit vote.

Suspect this is a factor in how many people can be cared for in hospitals.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:54 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Where's the implosion? You're issue is that you think you're nose job is more important than the health and life of someone else. That's absurd. It's amazing that their system can make the call to divert resources to the highest need during times of crisis and hopefully reduce potential loss of life.
Since you're presumptuous enough to assign me an "issue" based on nothing more than my refusal to adore the NHS, I'll be presumptuous enough to nitpick your poor grammar, which is the only thing in your post worth noting. You're using an incorrect form of "you're". It should be "your".

There. Now we're both guilty of silly pettiness.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I read about the flu, which originated from Australia has their health care system backed up beyond capacity. Lets hope it does not get worse, or spread here.
We may not have that same strain, however I needed a doctors appointment. I called, since I wasn't immediately sick I was pushed to 3 weeks out.

For a doctors appointment.

Let's not pretend our system is any better. It's not. People here wait months for surgery, die in emergency rooms, can't get treatment or care at all for serious medical conditions, and more. So spare me how this is so awful. At least they're treating their sick. How many people here could get this flu and not see a doctor because they can't afford it?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
How many non-essential surgeries just don't happen in the US because people can't afford them to begin with?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The citizens who can’t pay should be in dormitory style rooms.

Illegals should be deported after they are stabilized.
My RN friend who is doing well financially can certainly afford a private room in the U.S. In other countries they must hold to the reality that square feet = dollars and not try to give everyone a private or semi-private room.

I do agree with you that pharmaceuticals should not be more expensive here than in other countries.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
How many non-essential surgeries just don't happen in the US because people can't afford them to begin with?
Bingo.
Besides that, we don't have to copy England's system. People who think in terms of either or.
We have the hospitals.
We have the medical staff.
We have everything but an affordable well managed system.
Others have done it and made it work.
And for the record I have had surgery delayed due to lack of beds and I have good insurance.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:03 PM

304 posts, read 295,513 times
Quote:
Since you're presumptuous enough to assign me an "issue" based on nothing more than my refusal to adore the NHS, I'll be presumptuous enough to nitpick your poor grammar, which is the only thing in your post worth noting. You're using an incorrect form of "you're". It should be "your".

There. Now we're both guilty of silly pettiness.
Sure, you can do that. People who don't have a leg to stand on in debates often result to these sorts of things.

My lack of caring about editing posts and leaving poor grammar or spelling is nowhere on par with your lack of caring for people dying of the flu. This isn't about adoring the NHS. There are clear problems with the system especially now that budgets continue to be slashed. Brexit is another damaging factor. Conservative economic policy at work. But this thread is trying to claim that canceling non essential surgeries in favor of diverting as many resources as possible to a flu epidemic, presumably to keep fatalities to a minimum, is a sign of a failing NHS and that's just complete *******s. That's a sign of the positives of the NHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Bingo.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:03 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
When in America has our medical community ever simultaneously canceled thousands upon thousands of surgeries due to the flu striking and the country facing a shortage of physicians? I've never heard of such a thing. Now I see people immediately rising to defend the NHS, rather than questioning how a healthy and robust system could allow such a thing to happen.

Elective surgery requires a lot of advance planning for most people. Their home lives and jobs are affected by their convalescence. Many people need to train someone to cover their job during their absence. Having your surgery date pulled out from under you because the medical system can't handle what is a predictable yearly event is extremely inconvenient for people - not to mention the extended suffering that many of them must endure until they can be treated. It's the sign of a system bursting at the seams and failing it's people. I'm not sure why people would rush to defend such a huge clusterf*** and not instead demand some answers from the NHS.
People in Britain don't think it's a cluster ****. Ask any of them if they'd trade their healthcare system for ours. Go ahead ask them.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
How does it suck? They are able to mobilize efforts to address a serious crisis that hasn't been seen in 30 years. This year's flu epidemic is a very bad one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Non essential surgeries have been postponed due to an epidemic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Anyone who took the time to read the story would fine that Britain is undergoing a flu crisis that is overwhelming the system.
Quote:
Did you not read the article? It's clearly not a typical flu season. It's a serious epidemic that hasn't been seen in 30 years.
So you all admit that the government and its socialized medicine system failed to vaccinate people in a timely manner to prevent an influenza outbreak.

At least 1,649 people have been struck down with the potentially deadly strain in England and Wales over the Christmas period.

Who knew 1,650 people could crash the entire British medical system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies