Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,483,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, his campaign promise was 4B, then he moved it to 6, then less than 10N, then McConnel said 12 to 15B, Homeland security cost the materials at 21B..... you see trend? Did you forget inflation, and the cost of emminent (butchered that word) domain?

Have you seen many large construction projects come in on budget? Standard practice among contractors - bid low, submit change orders.

I really doubt any of this is going to happen anyway, maybe a few wall pieces here and there. I can't get too wound up over something that probably won't happen.
If it costs us $50 billion, I’d still say do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM

48,391 posts, read 34,529,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If it costs us $50 billion, I’d still say do it.

Of course you do!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 AM

5,306 posts, read 2,092,741 times
Long detailed look at why the wall won’t work
https://www.cato.org/publications/co...wall-wont-work

One practical reason: “But the biggest practical problem with a wall is its opacity. In fact, many Border Patrol agents oppose a concrete wall for precisely this reason (albeit quietly, given that they were also some of Trump’s biggest supporters during the election). “A cinder block or rock wall, in the traditional sense, isn’t necessarily the most effective or desirable choice,” Border Patrol agents told Fox News. “Seeing through a fence allows agents to anticipate and mobilize, prior to illegal immigrants actually climbing or cutting through the fence.””

“Homeland Security Department’s Science and Technology Directorate has so far concluded that no current technology for detecting tunnels beneath the border is “suited to Border Patrol agents’ operational needs.””

Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Of course you do!
Yeah, my county hospital district shells out nearly a billion dollars a year treating illegals for free.

Harris County Texas. If you Google it, you’ll find articles about the dollar amounts in the Houston Chronicle.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:42 AM

13,513 posts, read 4,825,282 times
I'm not against a wall, philosophically, but I do suspect that there are much more cost-effective ways to reduce illegal immigration. What really irks me though is that Trump insisted over and over that "Mexico's gonna pay for it". I don't even care if they don't literally write us a check upfront; if Donald could just explain to us how Mexico is paying for the wall I'd be satisfied. But he won't, because he has a long history of making false statements unsupported by fact. Like the biggest crowd to ever attend an inauguration. Like millions of illegal votes for Hillary. He just likes to make chit up because it sounds good in his empty head.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I'm not against a wall, philosophically, but I do suspect that there are much more cost-effective ways to reduce illegal immigration. What really irks me though is that Trump insisted over and over that "Mexico's gonna pay for it". I don't even care if they don't literally write us a check upfront; if Donald could just explain to us how Mexico is paying for the wall I'd be satisfied. But he won't, because he has a long history of making false statements unsupported by fact. Like the biggest crowd to ever attend an inauguration. Like millions of illegal votes for Hillary. He just likes to make chit up because it sounds good in his empty head.
A wall is the best worst solution.

If officials just followed existing laws and we didn’t make millions of exceptions all the time, we wouldn’t need a wall.

I want a wall, because a wall can’t just change its mind and not be a barrier. Officials can decide at the drop of a hat not to enforce any law that is enacted to battle illegal immigration.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have a very good relationship with Mexico. But yes, in some form, Mexico will pay for the wall.”
Mexico has repeatedly stated that it will not pay to build the wall.

“I believe Mexico will pay for the wall,” Trump said during a brief news conference at Camp David, where he was meeting congressional Republican leaders to plan for 2018 midterms.

Trump claims Mexico will pay for wall
maybe they will in some way or another but it really doesn't make much difference. I really don't think Trump believes this either but what do you expect him to say, "hey guys I was dreaming, I never really believed they would? "

Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,285,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A wall is the best worst solution.

If officials just followed existing laws and we didn’t make millions of exceptions all the time, we wouldn’t need a wall.

I want a wall, because a wall can’t just change its mind and not be a barrier. Officials can decide at the drop of a hat not to enforce any law that is enacted to battle illegal immigration.
I don't want you to get your hopes up about 'the wall' keeping all of the millions of illegal aliens from entering the U.S.

China has replaced Mexico as top country or origin of illegal immigrants. China does not take their 'illegals' back and they're not the only country that refuses to do so.

Having illegals from those other countries is no more appealing than illegals from anywhere south of our border. Illegal is the defining word.

Scary, isn't it?

What Happened to America's Other Illegal Immigrants - By Erika Lee/Zocalo Public Square July 8, 2015

Once singled out for exclusion by law from the U.S., Chinese immigrants now make up the largest single group of arrivals a year into this country. The Census Bureau says China replaced Mexico as the top country of origin for immigrants to the U.S. in 2013.

Chinese Immigrants: Now the Largest Group of New Arrivals to the U.S. | Time

Here Are the Countries That Won't Take Immigrants Back from the U.S.
November 28th 2016

Afghanistan, Algeria, Burundi, Cape Verde, China, Cuba, Eritrea, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Morocco, Mauritania, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Zimbabwe

https://www.attn.com/stories/13108/t...hree-countries

Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,861,526 times
The wall will go up no matter who Pays for it. But if Mexico was interest in their security they would be active partners in this wall.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:51 PM

29,935 posts, read 11,513,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Only a tiny fraction of crime comes from illegal immigrants.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/08/wi...rug-smuggling/

Most drugs enter our country via legal ports of entry, not via illegal treking across the desert. Drug dealers will eventually find a work-around.
There is a reason why the Mexican government is so against a border wall. Actually a couple of reasons. First they want central Americans to keep moving north. They don't want to deal with as well as poor Mexicans mostly from the south of the country. The other reason is the flow of illegal drugs which the government profits from. As well as their economy. If the wall was not at all a problem for them there would not be so against it.

Also most of the drugs intercepted occurs at the ports of entry. A large percentage of drugs comes across the border at the weak points. I used to live in an area where you would see people walking along dirt roads with backpacks full of drugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
As for the non-drug stuff..

It's a huge stretch to compare illegal immigration to theft. Most illegal immigrants are here for work that the native-born refuse to do (pick fruit, work in poultry plants, domestic workers, etc). If the native-born aren't taking those jobs anyway, then how can the illegals be "stealing" those jobs? That's like saying an out of town person is dating a girl none of the local boys like, then claiming he's "stealing our girl" from us. How can they be stealing her when nobody is going for her in the first place?

I am talking about security. Whether it be your home or the USA. You lock your house up and perhaps have a security system. That lessens the chance of someone entering.

However if someone is crossing out in the desert and not through the port of entry there has to be a reason why. Its easy for a Mexican National to get authorization to enter the USA. If they are crossing illegally there is a good chance they have issues we don't need. Like being a criminal or previously deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies