Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have always disagreed the way the Cubans were made citizens simply by landing on our soil so your point is mute to me.
Moot.

Not mute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:48 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Moot.

Not mute.

Thanks, I realized I had use the wrong word much later. Too late to edit. I do know the difference between the two words.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Thanks, I realized I had use the wrong word much later. Too late to edit. I do know the difference between the two words.
It’s so irritating when people appoint themselves as the grammar and spelling police.
We’re not writing for the gray lady people.

My phone got wet. Now, there is a bit of lag between me hitting the letters and them appearing on the screen. The accuracy is also diminished; therefore, it’s constantly grabbing recommended words or the wrong letter. I’m not going to proofread everything I write and battle to make the corrections with this tiny keyboard.

Give it a rest people.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
I don't care if you're irritated. Oldglory's arrogance shines through his posts, and his error was no mere typo. If you're going to talk like you know better than anyone/everyone, use the correct term.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
I don't care if you're irritated. Oldglory's arrogance shines through his posts, and his error was no mere typo. If you're going to talk like you know better than anyone/everyone, use the correct term.

Arrogance because I tell the truth? I admitted that I had used the wrong word of mute instead of moot and not because I don't know the difference it was just a simple mistake on my part. I suggest you put me on ignore if you have a problem with me. It won't bother me in the least.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
That poster is typical of the people that advocate for the use of English only, they barely know how to use it themselves.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:12 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Anyway, back to Mexico paying for the wall. Any word on that yet or are they still standing firm?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
[quote=Oldglory;50637901] The don't quote articles that blur the lines between immigrants and illegal aliens. We don't know who they are talking about then.

I hope I've misunderstood your use of the word "The" and in reality you did not intend to say 'Then'..."don't quote articles that blur the lines between immigrants and illegal aliens. We don't know who they are talking about then." As if you're telling me not to quote articles that blur the lines between immigrants and illegal aliens. We don't know who they are talking about then..

If that is indeed the case Oldglory then I beg to differ with you on that point because at issue (for me anyway) is the 'WALL" will not be able to prevent illegal aliens from other countries, notably in my article specifically on Chinese illegal aliens, who have outnumbered illegal aliens from south of the American border. Now it seems to me that you want to engage in some sort of urinating contest and I'm just not going there...period. I will state my views as I see them, quote articles that I think support my assertions (as any poster or politician would do) and let the chips fall where they may. But if I cannot do it respectfully then I will just have to take my toys and go home, nobody likes a crybaby, nobody.

As you see, this is where we get in trouble on these boards through misunderstandings, disagreements, and mean spiritedness in our dialogue and pi$$y attitudes. We choose to become argumentative and disrespectful and then the next thing you know a well placed and informed moderator shuts the whole 'kit and kaboodle' down.

Honestly, sometimes it is behavior akin to a daycare and as I used to tell the children at the daycare, "we don't hit our friends and we're not mean to them either".

'Illegal alien / illegal immigrant', a rose by any other name and as I have said before 'illegal' is the operative word and as adults we know the difference; it's only semantics.

Best regards

Old 01-10-2018, 03:33 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Well, I hope the Trump base will soon be happy despite the fact that during current talks the definition of "wall" is being expanded, or perhaps diminished would be a better word. Fence, more border control, drones....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2018, 04:56 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
(a) Why would you want DACA extended? They number 1.9 million (800,000 were approved) last I heard and they would be in direct competition for jobs and resources against Americans. (b) That's ok with you? Doesn't it set a presidence that all a parent has to do is sneak their kids over our border illegally and they will be home free? (c) Doesn't it make a mockery out of our immigration laws by rewarding those in our country illegally no matter how they got here?

(d) I have already debunked you anti-wall people over and over (with links provided) your claim that the wall is a stupid idea and yet you guys keep repeating the same old nonsense over and over.

Here's some tidbits about your DACAs.

https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/...-daca-program/
  1. Because it is the right thing to do. These are people who came here with no choice and have lived here as Americans all their lives. It would be an asshle move to send them to a country they know nothing about.
  2. Yes
  3. No
  4. You have debunked nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies