Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,807,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
His own evidence does a really good job of proving that for google.

If I had to guess, he wrote the complaint himself. A good lawyer would not have included most of those screenshots, especially when he seems to have carefully chosen when to include quotes/screenshots, and when he neglected to.

I wonder if Google gets this kicked on Summary Judgement, or if he just tries to settle ASAP (not that Google will necessarily go for that).
He seems to have screwed himself and is claiming since it is an affirmative action leaning workplace, he could easily claim discrimination. The only thing that helps him is that in California political views are protected. That said, it is about how they are expressed. If it is conduct entirely detrimental to the company, it should be fireable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Hostile work environment cuts both ways. Yes someone espousing strongly right opinions, may be creating a hostile work environment and should be censured if proven to be. That said the content of the filing contains a great deal of information that could demonstrate a hostile work environment exists for those of a different opinions than google mainstream.

When I was there it was predominantly Libertarian/An-Cap with some social conscience (it's not exclusive). But after around 2005, the culture began to shift, and a lot of engineers jumped ship to other companies or start-ups, me being one. I still have friends and former colleagues there, and while they're forever trying to tempt me back, I wouldn't like the environment, I'm type A get the ball over the line at any cost, and I'm not sure how I'd mix with a more 'culturally sensitive' GOOG. That's not to say I'm a bigot, or prejudiced, but completely evaluate solely on merit, regardless of any intrinsic factors.
I can't comment on how Google is as a company. I haven't worked there nor will, it isn't my center of expertise. That said, how they go about "exposing a 'hostile environment'" is key. This sounds as if it is detrimental to Google except if it is entirely justified. Just because something is what someone is thinking don't mean it is true. Just like a black man with no experience claiming the white man with experience got the job...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,253,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I can't comment on how Google is as a company. I haven't worked there nor will, it isn't my center of expertise. That said, how they go about "exposing a 'hostile environment'" is key. This sounds as if it is detrimental to Google except if it is entirely justified. Just because something is what someone is thinking don't mean it is true. Just like a black man with no experience claiming the white man with experience got the job...
The plaintiff didn't expose the 'hostile work environment', the primary plaintiff used the tools available to him to dialog within the Google security wall.

The memo was leaked to Gizmodo by another employee (and they should be fired, no doubt, and they will be known if they used any google resources to do so) then subsequently was carved up for soundbites, and ignoring the research cited (whether or not the research was of value is debatable, it could be outdated, or selected from confirmation bias). That said the employee did invest time and effort, and was not seriously inflammatory in his statements. Certainly not inflammatory enough to cause this public circus, which feeds in to public perceptions of the echo chamber Google and other Tech companies seem to present (rightly or wrongly).

Further the entire lack of self reflection does not give any sense of comfort. Google may have done the right thing, but in the wrong way, and the issue could easily have been handled internally with no future risk of exposure. I've dealt with these before, you give someone a golden parachute and an no lawsuit agreement (for the benefits of the parachute). Problem with lawsuits is everything enters public domain, and the public will draw their own conclusions, just look at the filing, and statements made to and about these claims of discrimination.

The prima facie impression I get from the whole reaction leads one to believe Damore hit pretty close to home. If he did not, there's no need to respond as they have, with HR directors making specific claims and arguments about one relatively low level employee. Or adding fuel to the fire of what that employee said internally by acting in a way that may be perceived as accurate to the claims and arguments leveled by Damore.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,311,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Male and White..... To reiterate Google and other tech companies are seeking to diversify their workforce which currently is mostly White/Asian males. The primary reason for that is White/Asian males make up the bulk of people with degrees in those fields. To create diversity they would necessarily have to discriminate against White/Asian males.
Rubbish and nonsense.

What encouraging and fostering diversity in the workplace is to ensure that people other than white guys and Asians have opportunities that they do - and to also value their viewpoints as much as others.

Your POV sadly smacks of entitlement.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,742,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Rubbish and nonsense.

What encouraging and fostering diversity in the workplace is to ensure that people other than white guys and Asians have opportunities that they do - and to also value their viewpoints as much as others.

So, you are saying discrimination is and should be appropriate?

If everyone is equal then the viewpoints should be the same, if people are truly not equal and viewpoints depend on race, then a company should be free to select employees based on race due to the value of the view point.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:29 PM

404 posts, read 192,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’ll stick to Google.
Will they stick with you ?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:30 PM

27,534 posts, read 16,011,145 times
Bing, firefox

Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,151,742 times
He's not going to win this lawsuit.

He should've kept his mouth shut. Did you read the crap he wrote? There are ways to lodge a complaint about pretty much anything at a place of employment. His method isn't the way to lodge a complaint.

It's not that he had a concern. It's that he didn't care if he made his discriminatory views clear for everyone to read and he was in a position to affect the careers of people he thought inferior.

Yeah... not opening his mouth or typing that crap out was the only thing he should have done. I saw some clip of him on Fox with Tucker Carlson and Carlson's spin on it was absolutely hilarious.

Yeah... poor, entitled white boy.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:51 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,529,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Read it. It's long. It's pretty damning evidence in here, including screen shots of emails, text messages, IMs, etc, not just from lower level employees, but from Directors and Managers alike:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3686...een&from_embed

Thankfully we have choices alternative to Google.
Their site, their rules.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,253,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
He's not going to win this lawsuit.

He should've kept his mouth shut. Did you read the crap he wrote? There are ways to lodge a complaint about pretty much anything at a place of employment. His method isn't the way to lodge a complaint.

It's not that he had a concern. It's that he didn't care if he made his discriminatory views clear for everyone to read and he was in a position to affect the careers of people he thought inferior.

Yeah... not opening his mouth or typing that crap out was the only thing he should have done. I saw some clip of him on Fox with Tucker Carlson and Carlson's spin on it was absolutely hilarious.

Yeah... poor, entitled white boy.
He wasn't lodging a complaint, he was starting a dialog on solutions to his perceived issues with GOOG's policies. I used to work under five presumptions while there.

1) Never go to your management with a problem. Go with a solution
2) It is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
3) Don't tell people things, show them
4) If there are X people on a team and they share the same opinion, then X-1 of them are redundant.
5) Better to speak your mind and be wrong, than be silent and be right.

Seems to me the culture has changed extraordinarily. Because it netted me phenomenal bonuses, pay increases and stock.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM

30,207 posts, read 23,626,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Rubbish and nonsense.

No. What "smacks of entitlement" is evidence in the lawsuit itself stating "white males: boooo" and that some people at Google weren't going to hire on merit or the most qualified, ("sometimes the most qualified is the first one, but you have to be patient...." paraphrasing from an actual message written and provided in the lawsuit), but hire based on gender and race, as long as that gender and race is not "white males". You're very disgustingly wrong on this.

Some of you all need to just stop. Read the lawsuit. ALL of it and then come back and start talking, because right now, it's very evident who has not actually read that suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies