U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM

12,469 posts, read 10,759,460 times

Advertisements

I think Oprah has grown accustomed to a life of being loved by all.

I dont think she would handle it too well having half the country hating her.

It’s probably best for her not to run, but people dont always do what is best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 AM

17,086 posts, read 10,316,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

It’s probably best for her not to run, but people dont always do what is best for them.
Really? I think Oprah Winfrey is very well aware that many people neither like nor approve of her.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:36 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,255,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
No. I'm not part of the not my president crowd desperate to remove Trump from the presidency.

Then your thread is pointless. What's the use of this thread if you're not going to apply your statement equally without exception? Oh right, you have your own interests which is to see a (R) in the White House. Way to put party above country.

If you give exception to Trump, why not Oprah? Kanye? All of them have no prior experience with government and are both celebrities.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 AM

8,433 posts, read 1,970,487 times
Quote:

I agree with this. Politics is an ugly business, and the very second she were to announce a run for presidency, a lot of people would immediately dislike her, and the attacks would begin.

I do not question if she could handle it, I'm sure she's a strong person. But would Oprah want to deal with it would be my question. It would be difficult to go from being arguably the most popular woman in America to having your name dragged through the mud on a daily basis and having every little thing you've ever done or said scrutinized.

Look at the way the left-wing media is obsessed with attacking Trump 24/7. The right would probably do the same to Oprah if she were president. If I were Winfrey, at 63 and one of the richest people on the planet, I'd rather enjoy my billions and spend the third act of my life on a boat, traveling the world. Stress free.

If Oprah wants to be involved, she'll probably just throw her money and support behind somebody.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 AM

23,627 posts, read 10,210,488 times
Quote:

Just because Trump can't handle mass dislike doesn't mean nobody else can.

Oprah has thicker skin and more confidence than Trump--she could handle it fine.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 AM

21,782 posts, read 12,109,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Uh, Trump was a celebrity.
The OP's point? Missed it did you?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 AM

21,782 posts, read 12,109,308 times
Trump didn't just drop out of the sky to run for President. He's been showing passion for the way this country is run for 30 years. How many Tonight Show appearances did he make all the way back to the early 80's? I remember people talking about how brilliant he is and how he would make a great president. He always said if things get bad enough he would run...and he followed through on that.

And he's doing great things.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 AM

12,469 posts, read 10,759,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Oprah has thicker skin and more confidence than Trump--she could handle it fine.
I dont think this is an accurate characterization. A lot of people disliked Trump before he even ran for office. And we always knew what his personality was like.

Oprah, on the other hand, has built her entire industry on the love that the masses have for her. She is pretty much universally loved.

How she will handle being downgraded from almost “Oracle-like status” to “polarizing political figure”, only time will tell.

In the end, I think she will regret it.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,474,054 times
Celebrities should not be president - we're seeing the disastrous results of having a celebrity president who thinks the job is just like a reality TV show.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:19 AM

31,967 posts, read 17,636,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Totally agree. Trump obviously cannot handle it as evidenced by his whiny twitter feed. I've no doubt that Oprah could work without responding via social media to every perceived slight.

Even Trump's friend, Howard Stern, said running would be bad for his fragile ego.

I'm not advocating an Oprah run for President ~ but I would vote for my geriatric dog before I would vote for the current Divider-In-Chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or