U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 AM

54,314 posts, read 43,423,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think Oprah Winfrey is a fabulous person, but I would not want to see her run for president in 2020. If she wants to enter public service, she needs to start with running for lower office first.
Agreed. I'd be interested in seeing her run for governor first. She's tough and has a lot of business experience and management experience. That's a strong foundation.

Kinda interesting though. After all she IS the lady that took down Hillary in 2008 with her support for Pres. Obama early on and in strong fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM

17,086 posts, read 10,349,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Agreed. I'd be interested in seeing her run for governor first. She's tough and has a lot of business experience and management experience. That's a strong foundation.

Kinda interesting though. After all she IS the lady that took down Hillary in 2008 with her support for Pres. Obama early on and in strong fashion.
She would be an interesting choice for Illinois governor, and it would certainly allow her the opportunity to earn her political stripes. Quite possibly a much better path forward than Congress if public service is in her future. I have mixed feelings, though, about all of this hullaballoo over Oprah Winfrey. The United States has few barriers for political candidacy even at the highest levels of government. That is both good and bad. On the one hand, I like the idea that most anyone can run for office. On the other hand, it sets us up for the roller coaster of populist movements, the inevitable result of which is that celebrities, who by virtue of their position in American culture have large built-in audiences for their political whims, will eventually end up on a ballot. That being said I'm not ready to rule out a President Winfrey yet if that's where she decides to go, but she'll have to prove her mettle just like every other person who has run for the office and ultimately earned my vote.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:36 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,204,007 times
In this celebrity obsessed society that maybe one of the biggest requirements.
trump may have been an anamoly or he maybe the shape of things to come.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 AM

4,293 posts, read 1,402,586 times
Next President: Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 AM

33,805 posts, read 21,050,666 times
Clint Eastwood will be a good president.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:26 PM

34,769 posts, read 30,072,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Clint Eastwood will be a good president.
Maybe 20 years ago.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 AM

5,557 posts, read 2,292,780 times
The bottom line is, some celebs could likely pull it off, though someone entirely different from the current attention-seeker. I do not mean ones offhandedly suggested such as the Rock or Kanye for God's sake, but anyone brilliant, balanced, honest and capable with strong character. Being a celebrity does not mean one is different from others possessing positive human traits - or not - which is what matters.

I had never considered Rump a celeb, rather as one known due to notoriety, now even more so.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 AM

19,122 posts, read 11,802,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Trump was a businessman first. His celebrity came much later. Oprah, on the other hand was a teenage prostitute, drug abuser, and then a celebrity. She is a very psychologically flawed, and dangerous person that has a lot of self hate, and hate for America, just like Michelle Obama. America haters, even though this country gave them great wealth, and notoriety. Both know they are unworthy.
Trump inherited his money. Oprah did not inherit her money, she started out poor. I find it interesting that Oprah would be compared to Michelle Obama as "hating America". She is a self made billionaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Except for the one poster - no one even realized what the OP was getting at! We've heard the cries from the left and many conservatives that a celebrity is not presidential material and yet the left is all in favor for people like Oprah, the Rock, Lil Wayne ect to run in 2020.

I was a huge Oprah fan - loved her show - thought she did good and was a good inspiration for women in general - but....... then she decided to get all political - shoot herself in the foot as far as I was concerned.

Surprised when the Rock decided to jump into the political race - but lost my vote with this ridiculous wear black to support the me too as his daughter is the first ambassador for some organization.

Hollywood does not represent most Americans - they make more on one film than many families make in a lifetime. In the Fast Five Dwayne Johnson was paid over 32 million dollars - really??
Anyone that goes into politics would be "getting all political". Trump got all political, so did Reagan. How does Trump, who inherited his money represent most Americans?

If Oprah ran I would laugh because it's giving it right back to Trump supporters with a younger self-made female billionaire. If she won, Trump would have to move out of our White House in order for her to move in. It would be beyond funny to watch that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
True, except President Trump employs thousands of people and builds skyscrapers. Oprah's accomplishments can be viewed only on media. Nothing of substance there.
Oprah is a self-made billionaire. She also employs a large number of people and probably none of them are H1B workers and she probably doesn't manufacture products in foreign countries while screaming about hiring in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why would you consider a black racist as a fabulous person? Take a look at the photos of her school for girls and see how many girls are of another race.
Seriously? Her school is in South Africa.

Last edited by Seacove; 01-10-2018 at 03:20 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 03:52 AM

6,396 posts, read 5,817,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You say experienced... how about successful at something?

You can have experience running entities into the ground. Hilary Clinton wasn't successful with much at all.
Well I thought it went without saying that by experienced I meant successfully experienced as it would be pretty stupid to vote for someone who was mostly experienced in failing (not referring to anyone in particular)

Old 01-10-2018, 05:04 AM

41,543 posts, read 16,428,401 times
The problem isn't that Trump is inexperienced in politics. It's that he's a liar, a cheat, and a fraud. Always has been. Still is.

He has surrounded himself with grifters and traitors who are looting the nation even as we chit chat away.

To say Oprah would be just like Trump because she hasn't served six years in the Senate is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or