Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I always hear people say that "if they can't afford to pay their workers"

Most people don't realize the economics of the restaurant business .

It's a pretty low profit margin business by nature .

It's going to be bad for the small mom and pops but McDonald's will probably do well since they already have the technology and resources to automate .

It's a shame people don't realize how bad this really is for small business. Or they simply don't care .
I just looked it up..Red Robin's profit margin is 0.94%.
You bet they can't afford that min wage hike with all their current employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
How many states actually have $15/hr min wage, and how many of those 570 stores are in those states?

Sounds to me like another deflection of the fact that they are simply cutting costs (good business) and saving money to pay shareholders and execs.

Before we blame this on minimum wage, I'd like to see some evidence, other than a quote from a CEO who may have other motives and drivers influencing his decision.

(Note I did not call it a good or bad decision, as that is subjective, just questioning the explanation.)
No state has a $15 minimum wage. The highest state minimum wage is Washington at $11.50. Some localities have $15 minimum wages, e.g. Mountain View and Sunnyvale, CA; Seattle for businesses of 501+ employees.
https://www.laborlawcenter.com/state...um-wage-rates/

Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
I've never been in one of the restaurant, but if they got rid of food expediters last year and busboys this year, then it would seem like the service would get worse, which will result in a profit loss for the chain as fewer people eat there. If they cannot afford to pay their employees a decent living wage, maybe they should find another line of services.

I thought the whole point of the business tax cuts was for corporate profits to trickle down to wages. Are restaurants exempt from that theory?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I've never been in one of the restaurant, but if they got rid of food expediters last year and busboys this year, then it would seem like the service would get worse, which will result in a profit loss for the chain as fewer people eat there. If they cannot afford to pay their employees a decent living wage, maybe they should find another line of services.

I thought the whole point of the business tax cuts was for corporate profits to trickle down to wages. Are restaurants exempt from that theory?
Apparently, so.

But everyone else is getting a big raise. I read it on this forum all the time.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/25597...s-hank-berrien

Who could have predicted something like this? Oh yes, everyone not a far left SJW more concerned with feeling good than actually DOING good.

Duplicate thread. You guys really need to touch base with each other.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:45 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,533 times
Shame. Busboy used to be a great first job for young kids

Old 01-10-2018, 08:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
I thought only 18 states were getting minimum wage increases in 2018? Correct me if I'm wrong...

But if only 18 states are, it is highly unlikely that is the reason for RR ditching bus boys in all of their restaurants.

I haven't been to an RR in a while, but last time we did, they were just experimenting with the table top kiosks to pay, order and play games on. I suspected even then, that their role was to eventually cut back on serving staff.

My guess is that introducing and perfecting that technology has played more into RRs decision to eliminate Bus Boys, than minimum wage increases.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? And what kind of better paying work would a busboy fluidly move into?
Democrat candidate.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:01 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I thought only 18 states were getting minimum wage increases in 2018? Correct me if I'm wrong...

But if only 18 states are, it is highly unlikely that is the reason for RR ditching bus boys in all of their restaurants.

I haven't been to an RR in a while, but last time we did, they were just experimenting with the table top kiosks to pay, order and play games on. I suspected even then, that their role was to eventually cut back on serving staff.

My guess is that introducing and perfecting that technology has played more into RRs decision to eliminate Bus Boys, than minimum wage increases.

Well the rising min wage isn't helping them. They had a dismal 2017 with revenue falling in the double digits. Their profit margin fell to 0.94%.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Well the rising min wage isn't helping them. They had a dismal 2017 with revenue falling in the double digits. Their profit margin fell to 0.94%.
Lots fast casual burger concepts now too so I'm sure that's cutting into their business .

I've been to Red Robin several times but when other people want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies