Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You brought up the statements.
You asked for examples a few pages back - I shared a few (of many).

Old 01-10-2018, 12:57 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
They are trolling you by getting you to believe they have any significant influence.

It’s the idea that they are being disruptive that is actually what is disruptive. Read that three times please in order to sink in.

Every relatively influential country out there uses propoganda to try to influence other countries. This has been going on for a very long time. It’s nothing new, and it’s affect on the US is minimal.

For the first time, in number of years, it has become significant, but not in the way you or Finn think. What has been successful this time is the propoganda of “we are getting you with our propoganda” campaign. It’s actually quite clever, and you have bought into it.
Hilarious and brilliant! Great comment!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
They are trolling you by getting you to believe they have any significant influence.

It’s the idea that they are being disruptive that is actually what is disruptive. Read that three times please in order to sink in.

Every relatively influential country out there uses propoganda to try to influence other countries. This has been going on for a very long time. It’s nothing new, and it’s affect on the US is minimal.

For the first time, in number of years, it has become significant, but not in the way you or Finn think. What has been successful this time is the propoganda of “we are getting you with our propoganda” campaign. It’s actually quite clever, and you have bought into it.
I understand what you are trying to argue.

I have no doubt that Russia is happy with how things have played out. Although, I don't believe that Russia "wanted to get caught", as you seem to be implying.

You're correct that propAganda has been used as a tool to undermine elections throughout the world for a long time - and certainly, we have intervened in many a nation's elections (I don't doubt that for a second). But two wrongs have never made a right.

The methods that Russia have utilized are very new - and the degree to which they have been employed are staggering comparatively. I'm not sure why you think this should just be ignored?

Misinformation should be fought from all ends - this, obviously, includes misinformation that is home-grown. If you know the source and their methods, target it and highlight it. Show the people HOW they were duped. So they know how to protect themselves in the future from this nonsense.

Since we have mountains of evidence for HOW Russian-backed troll farms spread manipulative and often false content, why should we not highlight it?

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-10-2018 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You were a fine troll.

Pedro would have to start from the bottom, as an assistance troll, and work his way up. He is not very subtle.
Yeah, I hide behind my anarchist ideology to promote Russia...a country with one of the most despicable records on treating humans with respect...even by government standards.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:04 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
They must run some of our media companies.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Here is how big “Russian interference” is in America:

26% Rate Trump-Russia Allegations Nation

Quote:
For unaffiliated voters, Russia is their number one worry. Second is the economy, most important to 19%, and Obamacare (17%).
The alleged Russian propoganda, such as there being 30 million illegals instead of 12 million, isn’t the big concern for independent voters, it’s Russia interference. That is a huge dividing issue, not something like the discrepancy between 12 million and 30 million illegals.

What kind of things can the flames? Stories about Russian trolls and Russian trolmfarms.

If the goal of Russia is to divide us further and disrupt our political system, the way to do it is not discussing the topic we have been bickering about and blowing out of proportion for decades. The way to do it is with something much more sinister, the spies and shadowy figures amongst us. Russian plants and factories of spies wandering amongst us virtually.

Anybody who takes the time to think about “Russian interference” can see that the big story is “Russian interference” and not the supposed stories that they are posting about on social media. The social media aspect of it is what they use to drive the interference narrative which is actually having a major impact.

It’s the “real” people getting almost hysterical over something relatively minor that has become the big deal. Threads like this are the actual goal. This thread is a prime example of what they are trying to achieve. The trolling is the troll with “Russian interference” narrative as the goal.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I understand what you are trying to argue.

I have no doubt that Russia is happy with how things have played out. Although, I don't believe that Russia "wanted to get caught", as you seem to be implying.

You're correct that propAganda has been used as a tool to undermine elections throughout the world for a long time - and certainly, we have intervened in many a nation's elections (I don't doubt that for a second). But two wrongs have never made a right.

The methods that Russia have utilized are very new - and the degree to which they have been employed are staggering comparatively. I'm not sure why you think this should just be ignored?

Misinformation should be fought from all ends - this, obviously, includes misinformation that is home-grown. If you know the source and their methods, target it and highlight it. Show the people HOW they were duped. So they know how to protect themselves in the future from this nonsense.

Since we have mountains of evidence for HOW Russian-backed troll farms spread manipulative and often false content, why should we not highlight it?
FYI, my stupid iPhone always autocorrects it to propoganda, and I have yet to go into customize my spell check to switch it. It’s not high on my list of things to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Russian troll describes work in the infamous misinformation factory-01d48dce-1e42-48bc-a780-834768824f04.jpeg  

Old 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
So we are divided because of the Russians?

So everyone was holding hands and singing Kumbaya before 2016?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
FYI, my stupid iPhone always autocorrects it to propoganda, and I have yet to go into customize my spell check to switch it. It’s not high on my list of things to do.
It's all good - I know that pain - autocorrect fails have definitely bitten me in the ass more than once!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
So we are divif fed because of the Russians?

So everyone was holding hands and singing Kumbaya before 2016?
DIVIDED FURTher.

Is “Russian interference/collusion” a major political issue right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies