Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM

8,195 posts, read 3,474,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I'm an (I)ndependent.

And you're telling me to go buy a SAMS club and to put up or shut up? Huh?
Sam's Club is not like a McDonald's. You can't just go get a franchise and open one up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,501,438 times
Quote:
You guys are funny. Mad as hell that the tax plan is working and people are doing better. Mad as hell.
It's not that at all. I'm just tired of the ol' corporate smoke and mirrors routine. "Oh we're going to pass these extra tax savings on to our valuable employees and customers"... when in reality, they are doing two things that almost entirely benefit their bottomline and no one else:

1. Publicly announce giving back to their employees and possibly customers via lower costs -- This is a marketing stunt to boost brand image and increase sales
2. Quietly trim costs elsewhere to pay for #1. -- This means they are essentially double-dipping on the new lower taxes.. not sacrificing anything since they are trimming costs to pay for those pesky bonuses and raises, while gaining everything from the lower tax rates + boost in sales.

It's all a joke.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,779,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Go buy SAMS clubs and run them when losing money just so you can say you gave people a job. Go for it, don't run your mouth, put up or shut up. You Left leaners think businesses exist just to give people jobs. They don't. They exist to make money and if they aren't, they are closed down.
You're right, Walmart restructures because of changing consumer preferences. Their decisions are not guided by how much tax their CEO pays - it literally means nothing to him or his company. Nor does Trump's lower rate mean anything for Walmart. Giving Walmart a tax cut isn't going to make them hire more - they must respond to consumer demand.

Trump supporters must have a serious case of amnesia because this is essentially Bush era bogus economics 2.0. I'm fine with tax cuts for the lower and middle class - just don't give me costly tax cuts to the 1% that we know don't stimulate the economy.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,898,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I hate the vague wording of these articles.

"Walmart suddenly closes Sam's Club stores" could easily mean that they're shutting down ALL sam's club's stores. But they aren't. They're just closing a handful. Which makes me ask why it is news at all.
Not a handful. 10%.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:03 PM

11,219 posts, read 8,288,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Read this article: Walmart suddenly closes Sam's Club stores - Business Insider

Walmart is closing several Sams stores nationwide this morning, including locations in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Arizona, Alaska. Thousands of workers have been laid off as of today.

Yes, it is great news that Walmart workers are seeing pay raises, more maternity leave and bonuses. That is fantastic. But if you're being fair and honest, you also have to acknowledge that Sams (Walmart) just fired thousands of American workers today. This morning. Many of whom received no notice, they simply showed up for work today and the stores were closed.
Exactly. Liberals are in favor of those things. We fought for pay rases, more maternity leave and sharing of bonuses, even as the right fought against them.

The part that is "news" is that the right, and specifically Trump supporters are trying to spin the news that these things are happening 1) as a result of Trump, and 2) in a vacuum.

1. Sure, his pro-business agenda has helped businesses,but it's not the only thing boosting the economy,which has been on a record rise for almost a decade now, and
2. It is disingenuous to claim victory on things like pay raises, and ignore that the same company is putting THOUSANDS of people out of work.

Sure, it's all business, and I don't think it is wrong to close stores that don't fit with company goals. What is wrong is to paint a false picture, which is to say "yeah, we are giving out raises, and EVERYTHING is great". No, they are giving out raises, and they still compete in a tough business climate. Be truthful, that is all.

And of course, it's more complicated because we have a POTUS who wants to have the government control what the media can, or can't report. When you have that, you REALLY need the media to report all angles, which is exactly what this is. Of course the right is upset that the whole truth is getting reported. They only want you to hear what they want you to hear.

EDIT: Business Insider is stating it is 63 stores, and they are quoted as saying "The closures come on the same day that Walmart announced it was raising starting hourly wages to $11, expanding employee benefits, and offering workers bonuses of up to $1,000.". That is definitely significant news that people need to consider along with the wage increase and bonuses. (Good with the bad!)

Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,056,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What's a handful? News is trickling out city-by-city, and Wal-Mart didn't announce the closures.
According to the article 63 out of 660 stores.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM

11,219 posts, read 8,288,219 times
Quote:
You guys are funny. Mad as hell that the tax plan is working and people are doing better. Mad as hell.
You guys are funny. Happy as hell in your ignorance, claiming victory about how people are getting a small raise on their $20k per year job, but totally oblivious to the fact that thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) of people just lost their jobs with the same company you are bragging about.

So the net outcome:
Thousands of Walmart Employees are getting a raise, but still live below the poverty line, so your tax dollars and mine are having to pay for them. You are happy.
Thousands of Sams Club Employees (same company) are totally unemployed now.

Again, it is what it is. Businesses cutting their losses is not, in and of itself, a bad thing, but let's at least deal with the truth here, please.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:14 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,951,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
According to the article 63 out of 660 stores.
Ah, I see. That’s an update. Wasn’t in the article, when I first posted it.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,302 times
Quote:
People lie too. I doubt they did it without notifying anyone.
My cousin works there and he found out because his aunt was watching the news this morning. There is no excuse for this. Walmart is no mom and pop operation. Shame on them for treating their employees so poorly. They should’ve been given notice.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Walmart suddenly closes Sam's Club stores - Business Insider

There are stories on local news sites, from all over the country.
I was just about to post the same thing. In fact I did post it on the shopping thread. I am totally in a state of shock. So far I have seen any reason given for this. I know our Sam's is always packed and so were the ones we shopped it in Texas and NM> I guess now I will read the responses to your post to see if any reason has been given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies