Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 AM

29,380 posts, read 9,563,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'm glad that I'm working hard to pay for their retired lifestyle. Unfortunately, the future generation won't be paying for my social security. The system will be bankrupt by then. So how is that fair? I donated hundreds of dollars each month to the government and in return they give me a maybe promise that I'll get some of that back in my golden years? I rather keep that money and deposit it myself into something that earns interest. Now that's fair.
Say what pal?

I worked hard all my adult life, forever paying into the funds that supported the same programs for the seniors in my day. That's how it works! You pay in during the higher income earning years to cover expenses for those now too old to be working, hopefully so that when your retirement years come along, the same sort of support and/or insurance is there for you too, medical insurance too. I paid in when I was young and healthy and not needing medical attention like older folks did then. Now I'm older and the younger folks today figure differently? Like they don't need coverage when they break their head riding their skateboard? Like they won't need medical attention when their gray hairs start to show too, after they are "put out to pasture." Oh HELL no!

Not sure your plan or strategy, but I always worked under the assumption SS wouldn't be there for me, or that whatever would be there for me was not going to be enough. I'm still not collecting SS and fortunately, I'm not needing it, hopefully never will, but of course I'll take what I'm due, again as I also paid in all these years not knowing how solvent the program would be when my day came (see number of times the SS Act has been amended to remain solvent since 1935, well before I was born).

All that aside, if keeping that SS deduction rather than worrying it may not be there in your "golden years" makes all that much difference to you, then I suggest you look at what other financial challenges you face, because that's not where or how you'll enjoy your "golden years" either way.

PS: You nor I may need that additional "savings account," but all too many Americans have proven they can't save for retirement worth a damn. You and I would far rather have those seniors getting that pittance that keeps them from begging in the streets than dealing with the alternative. Believe that!

Nearly half of Americans can't afford to pay a $400 emergency bill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Good for you, but that's not the experience for a lot of people. I remember one time that I posted a comment on liberal gay celebrity's facebook post blasting Hiliary and I immediately got over a hundred hateful responses so bad that I quickly deleted my post. Your side is so angry and intolerant and even eats their own. Look what happened to Anzi. His career is ruined over nothing. Your side rarely gives second chances, no matter how apologetic the person is.
Yeah, no doubt all the fault and short-coming of everyone who found your comment distasteful. Must be all of them. Can't be you...

I'm not big on Facebook (don't do it), and maybe your comment would help anyone judge a little better, but I've shared many an comment and/or opinion in this forum that has met with all manner of response, and not from "my side!"

On BOTH sides, there are nitwits who can't exchange opinion like adults, and then there are those who can...

The Great American Divide...

Old 01-26-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Each new generation has a lower standard of morality and a higher degree of suicide and anger. I fear for the future generations.
I've not seen any research or statistics that suggest what you claim about each new generation. Have you got anything to support your claim they have a lower standard of morality? Would you say as each generation is hopefully less racist that they don't by the same virtue have a higher standard of morality in that regard? How about as we better respect women, including equal rights, the vote! Any of that count for anything?

The suicide rate is growing and all the more a growing concern, but that has little to do with the ways in which each new generation tends to be less conservative and more tolerant of others in ways that helps toward the progress I'm referring to. Might even help with the suicide rate if we consider people who have been bullied and taunted into committing suicide because they were different, gay, for example...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies