Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,804,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why did you come here? Apparently you don't like this country. Why don't you go back from whence you came?
LOL. I KNEW that was coming. How original.

First of all, my posts haven't been my opinion; they've been the truth. It's a fact that few Europeans want to emigrate. It's a fact that Europe, Canada, and Australia share certain principles that the US doesn't, and that the US upholds other principles that Europe, Canada, and Australia do not. Are you saying that's not the case? Second Amendment, for example?

In any event, unless a person's opinion of the US is 100% favorable, or if someone dares express something negative about the US, one should leave, is that what you believe? Or does that apply to those, like me, who are "only" immigrants? Doesn't your belief completely undermine the FIRST Amendment? Isn't that kinda snowflakey?

So, let's see: I've lived in the US for 20 years, earned my graduate degree, raised kids, worked very hard, been a home owner, paid taxes, volunteered, voted -- but I'm not supposed to have an opinion. I've got some nerve expressing an opinion. That only goes to show how little you know about the immigrant experience. If you think that all New Americans (or New Canadians or New Australians, etc) don't take issue with certain aspects of their new country, as does any native-born citizen, no matter how fond of that country they may be, you simply don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
LOL. I KNEW that was coming. How original.

First of all, my posts haven't been my opinion; they've been the truth. It's a fact that few Europeans want to emigrate. It's a fact that Europe, Canada, and Australia share certain principles that the US doesn't, and that the US upholds other principles that Europe, Canada, and Australia do not. Are you saying that's not the case? Second Amendment, for example?

In any event, unless a person's opinion of the US is 100% favorable, or if someone dares express something negative about the US, one should leave, is that what you believe? Or does that apply to those, like me, who are "only" immigrants? Doesn't your belief completely undermine the FIRST Amendment? Isn't that kinda snowflakey?

So, let's see: I've lived in the US for 20 years, earned my graduate degree, raised kids, worked very hard, been a home owner, paid taxes, volunteered, voted -- but I'm not supposed to have an opinion (?). I've got some nerve expressing an opinion (?) That only goes to show how little you know about the immigrant experience. If you think that all New Americans (or New Canadians or New Australians, etc) don't take issue with certain aspects of their new country, as does any native-born citizen, no matter how fond of that country they may be, you simply don't understand.
If it’s fact, please share the data.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM

6,462 posts, read 8,142,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
There are plenty of Canadian retirees in Florida. Probably in the Southwest, too. And I'd bet that many elderly Scandanavians would like to do that. So what do these people do, live in some cold-***** place for their entire lives? As someone from the northern U.S., that sounds quite strange and unfortunate to me.
Around 20,000 Norwegians live permanently in Spain and tens of thousands live in Southern Europe during the winter months. The climate is more favorable, but many struggle with loneliness and alcoholism (alcohol is much cheaper there). The majority do not bother to learn Spanish, so they have little or no contact with Spanish inhabitants.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,804,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
There are plenty of Canadian retirees in Florida. Probably in the Southwest, too. And I'd bet that many elderly Scandanavians would like to do that. So what do these people do, live in some cold-***** place for their entire lives? As someone from the northern U.S., that sounds quite strange and unfortunate to me.
Um, Scandinavians are part of the European Union. They, I imagine, often move to warmer parts of Europe, just as Brits, Germans, Austrians do. I know Brits who now live in Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal, or the south of France, for example. That way, they don't have to worry about something like, say, health insurance, as they would were they to live in the US.

You're right, there are plenty of Canadians in Florida (and Arizona and South Carolina), and they live there for a maximum of 6 months per year. They then return home for the spring and summer. I know many. There's quite a few here on CD, in fact. They value their universal health care, which they'd lose if they were to live permanently in the US.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Not me.

In August in Texas, I walk casually to my car and don’t dread going anywhere.

In Pittsburgh or Casper in January, I would dread having to get out to the car and was absolutely miserable waiting for it to heat up.

Hot over cold any time.

Different people enjoy different weather.
Most modern cars, EVs included, can be equipped with a thermo system (fuel or electric heater), so you do not have to wait for the car to heat up.

Winter sports, especially skiing, are hugely popular here, so many actually love the winter.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,911,028 times
Quote:
Not me.

In August in Texas, I walk casually to my car and don’t dread going anywhere.

In Pittsburgh or Casper in January, I would dread having to get out to the car and was absolutely miserable waiting for it to heat up.

Hot over cold any time.

Different people enjoy different weather.
It's called automatic starter, man. Many cars now even have seat warmers in the backseats, and steering wheel warmers. It's really not that bad.

It's been so cold in my town that our river froze, not an unusual occurrence but sort of is for such a long period of time. Kids and adults skated on it and played hockey on it all over town. Some people even build hockey rinks in their backyards. Winter is fun, you're just not used to it (understandably).

Old 01-13-2018, 01:42 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Most modern cars, EVs included, can be equipped with a thermo system (fuel or electric heater), so you do not have to wait for the car to heat up.

Winter sports, especially skiing, are hugely popular here, so many actually love the winter.
I’m not talking about sports, I’m talking about daily life.

I spent a lot of winters in Pittsburgh and Casper. From my observations, people spent a lot less time outside in those places in winter than in hot southern areas in the summer.

I bet if you compared the number of outdoor diners, you’d find a big disparity.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I’m not talking about sports, I’m talking about daily life.

I spent a lot of winters in Pittsburgh and Casper. From my observations, people spent a lot less time outside in those places in winter than in hot southern areas in the summer.

I bet if you compared the number of outdoor diners, you’d find a big disparity.
Sports and outdoor activity can be part of your everyday life, even during the winter months. In Oslo we have several miles of illuminated groomed tracks for cross-country skiing.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM

587 posts, read 303,009 times
of course not , thats just media propaganda

Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM

183 posts, read 103,268 times
I have lived in europe and i have had alot of questions about people moving to america but it tended to be from the more ambitious young people. When I was in school at Georgia tech it was filled with europeans. Alot of engineers,people wanting to start business ,people interested int the tech field move to the United states from europe. Working outside your degree is not as easy in europe, at least in my field

The US is the most dynamic society in the world, especially if you are starting a business .More open land, having a nice yard and garden,warm weather in the south and Southwest, southern european beaches are packed in the summer, but to each his own. I certainly miss the mass transit in europe and going to different countries on a long weekend and the vacation time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies