Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
The right controls all three branches of government and most of the state houses and governorships as well. They have their own media so they don't have to have their feelings hurt by seeing critical things on tv.

Yet here we are reading about how rough they have it because they're "bullied" by those mean old libbies.
The LEFT owns 95% of the Media, 100% of Education K through university, and most Government agencies, the bureaucracy, where much of the power lies. In addition most of the large corporations are headed by Democrat donating progressives, and are extremely PC on every level.

It is a constant uphill battle to have conservative, and libertarian thought, and speech considering the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
OP, you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that any of the events that you claim happened have anything to do with "the left."

Silencing others is a primarily RIGHT-WING tactic in this nation, and one used by tyrants of ANY political alignment in less developed nations. It is laughable that the far-right, creators of the term "liberal," "snowflake," and "Social Justice Warrior" is whining about name-calling being thrown back at them. If you can't take it, wimps, don't try to dish it out.

It is absurd watching the idiocy on this forum. We regularly have threads condemning all Muslims everywhere because of the actions of a few - in direct violation of the concept of religious freedom and the 1st Amendment. At the same time, we have right-wingers defending bigotry, pretending THAT alone is what the 1st Amendment protects. This is nothing but disgusting lies and sick behavior.

Of course, what else can be expected from a right-wing forum, a place where calling a Klansman a bigot is "an ad hominem attack," but calling a black man's wife Chewbacca is perfectly acceptable, as is asking for entire swaths of the world to be bombed into oblivion because they don't worship "Sky Father" the exact same way you d
o.
Such crybabies the conservatives are. Nothing has changed in the years I've been on here. They can dish it out but cry like a stuck pig in Deliverance if they have to take it.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And here's a different perspective: please respect it when I don't want to talk about politics. Yesterday, I went to lunch at one of my favorite spots. It's no secret that the proprietor is a staunch Republican. The restaurant's large-screen TV is continually tuned to FOX News, but no mind, I just sit with my back to it and enjoy my food. I have a friendly relationship with the man who owns the place, and I wished him a successful 2018. His response was not "Thank you. You, too," but rather a fifteen-minute tirade about Democrats and how the world is a better place because of Donald Trump. Despite my repeated statements that I did not want to discuss politics, he WOULD NOT SHUT UP! I finally had to get up and leave. I don't know if I'll ever go back, which is a shame because I'll miss the molletes. So if my polite requests somehow fall into bullying Republicans into silence, so be it.
That, right there, is a typical right-wing cult 45 member, and they are everywhere. They can't shut up about how "great" Trump is, despite the fact that a few years ago they had no respect for the man and wouldn't have trusted him with their retirement fund, their house for a weekend, or their wife or daughter for a night. They are ignorant partisan hypocrites, spewing utter nonsense about a man they so recently disliked, while doing insane things like giving him credit for the recovery under Obama while claiming at the same time that recovery never happened. It's bad enough that they cannot be reasoned with, but they also can't shut up. I agree with you completely - I will tell people like that to "shut up" in polite terms. I didn't ask to hear their partisan ignorance, and I'm not going to be a captive audience member while they spew lies. In a case like that, I'd never go back to the place and I would tell the owner to his face why.

These types are everywhere. Hell, I ran into one of them on a flight home very soon after the mass murder (by a white American) in Las Vegas. This idiot I was sitting next to was proudly wearing an NRA hat in poor taste and utter contempt for the victims. I think he mentioned something about retirement approaching, I mentioned how a key part in that will be finding affordable housing if he wants to move, and then - bam! - suddenly he was licking Trump's boots and praising him like a moron. Since he wasn't going to shut up and I was stuck on a plane, I spent the next hour trolling him, asking him specific cases of how great his party is, and then shooting him down with facts. It was funny watching him speak the truth now and then - how neither party really cares about us - and then hastily correct himself and go back to mindlessly singing Trump's praises. It is was all so transparent. Even this crude, contemptible idiot, deep down, knows the truth, but he can't say it because he's "gotta support the Republicans cuz Jezus, guns, and Reagan!" or some crap. Moron.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
And here's a different perspective: please respect it when I don't want to talk about politics. Yesterday, I went to lunch at one of my favorite spots. It's no secret that the proprietor is a staunch Republican. The restaurant's large-screen TV is continually tuned to FOX News, but no mind, I just sit with my back to it and enjoy my food. I have a friendly relationship with the man who owns the place, and I wished him a successful 2018. His response was not "Thank you. You, too," but rather a fifteen-minute tirade about Democrats and how the world is a better place because of Donald Trump. Despite my repeated statements that I did not want to discuss politics, he WOULD NOT SHUT UP! I finally had to get up and leave. I don't know if I'll ever go back, which is a shame because I'll miss the molletes. So if my polite requests somehow fall into bullying Republicans into silence, so be it.
Sound like you have had a similar experience that conservative have had and are speaking up about finally.

You didn't find it pleasant but the food was good.
Unfortunately its a wide spread problem that conservatives have on college campuses and its not a solution to not attend because of it. Much easier to pick another restaurant than to pick another college.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:21 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Such crybabies the conservatives are. Nothing has changed in the years I've been on here. They can dish it out but cry like a stuck pig in Deliverance if they have to take it.
The only "snowflakes" are the far-right. They are white, like snow, and melt in the light of truth. They want a world of "safe spaces," free of anyone who's different. Of course, they try to flip this around and blame "liberals" for their close-minded cowardliness, but that's a typical event and well documented in psychology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Projection is the term, and it is extremely common in the far-right. Heck, this thread, blaming "liberals for silencing people," when it is the far-right who does the silencing in this nation, is just another example.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Look, blowhards who think/talk politics 24/7 are a boorish pain in the ass no matter what party they belong to. This is a bipartisan annoyance.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Look, blowhards who think/talk politics 24/7 are a boorish pain in the ass no matter what party they belong to. This is a bipartisan annoyance.
exactly

And that goes double for people who make up disparaging names for the opposite party, dehumanizing them into a homogenous pool of "the enemy".

Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I could say, "Nothing scandalizes a right-winger like the truth" and it would be just as factual.
Actually it wouldn't be as factual, and that was the point of the article if you had read it.
The author notes how often the left denies so many different important facts and then hides behind the insulting and intimidating whenever the right brings up any of these inconvenient facts.

Please list all the many facts that the right continually denies and how they then bully the left as the author did regarding the left.

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-13-2018 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Sound like you have had a similar experience that conservative have had and are speaking up about finally.

You didn't find it pleasant but the food was good.
Unfortunately its a wide spread problem that conservatives have on college campuses and its not a solution to not attend because of it. Much easier to pick another restaurant than to pick another college.
Universities are places of advanced learning where the entire point of Humanities courses is debating ideas. Nobody learns in an echo chamber. But I did not order a lecture about Trump with my molletes, and I won't be going back. He's lost a good customer all because he could not keep his political opinions to himself. Three subjects that need to be off limits with people you don't know: religion, money, and politics. Business owners who want to stay in business would be wise to remember that.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
You are right that this guy was way off and rude, even bullying if he actually tried to silence you.
But you experienced just one individual. The article is speaking about the whole leftist culture of bullying and
silencing that goes on in our schools, our media, our entertainment industry, and our social media.

Obama has to try and shame opposing views or facts he's uncomfortable with by insults, shaming, and calling them from another planet.

Remember the neighbors of the terrorists in San Bernadino who saw suspicious behavior there, but didn't call the police because they were afraid of being called Islamophobic? That fear of speaking the truth didn't come from the right bullying them .....

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-13-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies