Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
In the short term, no. And not when other countries continue to implicitly support its necrophilic government. But Norway struggled enormously for almost 300 years with one famine and economic collapse after the other. And look at it now.

Since their independence, Haiti was burdened with brutal debt imposed by the French for their audacity to revolt. (That they paid off, unlike some other country I know). Followed by more than a century of being blacklisted from international trade. I'm more optimistic about their future in the long term.

To your second question - you can't pound your chest claiming you're the greatest and not expect people in need to believe you.
See this is typical and false really racist liberal argument that white people are holding down the non-white people. Haiti was only prosperous while a colony and after revolting and genociding all the whites was left mostly to its own to devices.

Norwegians and Haitians don't just look differently due to 10's of thousands of years differential hereditary and natural selection in different climates. They differ due to those same hereditary factors in personality, temperament, tendencies and intellect, not too unlike how two dog breeds differ in those ways. I suppose next liberals will tell us all dog breeds are exactly the same except white people make some breeds more aggressive than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Ugh...you tend to ruin otherwise reasonable posts with your meanderings down Stormfront Lane. Get a grip, man. There isn't some conspiracy to revenge enslave you.

Although, there is something attractive about the idea. (Calm down, just kidding.)
Don't start with the clichéd and hackneyed liberal labeling. You literally posted above the liberal tripe that white people are the reason Haiti is what it is. A spade is a spade, and falsely blaming white people for every poor outcome of any non-whites is the worst kind of racism.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm not the person you asked this of, but I'll answer anyway. Half of my ancestors didn't come from anywhere - they were here when the Europeans showed up. The other half came from Norway, France, and England.

Our immigration policy should not be based on what we "used" to do. Times change, resources become limited, available housing becomes full. Economically, we can't continue the way we've been going. We will, eventually, reach a tipping point. As one of the most popular countries for immigrants to come to, we should be setting standards which require immigrants to have skills or education which will contribute to our society, not bringing in people who have no skills, limited education, and will end up on government assistance.
Oh, so NOW times change. Got it. When it comes to immigration, times change. The modern narrative doesn't fit the conditions of the past. But, when it comes to guns, the ideas of over two hundred years ago fit modern times. Right.... Can you say hypocrites.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Oh, so NOW times change. Got it. When it comes to immigration, times change. The modern narrative doesn't fit the conditions of the past. But, when it comes to guns, the ideas of over two hundred years ago fit modern times. Right.... Can you say hypocrites.
Immigration is a privilege extended to aliens and foreigners America(ns) grants at its pleasure, not an express constitutional right of American citizens as free speech and right to bear arms etc are. Times doesn't change a fundamental constitutional right that is timeless. Worse than an apple and orange comparison, you're trying to conflate and extend constitutional rights to immigration and to all foreigners of the world. Besides there's plenty of more recent gun laws to keep up with the changing times.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
If we held this logic for the last hundred years, then we would have only been immigrating from the same countries. We are the land of opportunity and we need to remember what we stand for and why we fought for our independence. Are those people from Haiti and elsewhere not worthy enough to improve their lives and the lives of their children and families? That is why everyone fights to get here. What is so wrong about what Trump said and is doing with his immigration policies is that he's basically saying that a large swath of the world is not worth fighting for. He's deciding that those immigrants do nothing for Trump, then they are not worth helping. There is so much that Trump says and does that is completely against everything that Americans should stand for.
What liberals lay down for has nothing to do with what America stands for.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:53 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
See this is typical and false really racist liberal argument that white people are holding down the non-white people. Haiti was only prosperous while a colony and after revolting and genociding all the whites was left mostly to its own to devices.

Norwegians and Haitians don't just look differently due to 10's of thousands of years differential hereditary and natural selection in different climates. They differ due to those same hereditary factors in personality, temperament, tendencies and intellect, not too unlike how two dog breeds differ in those ways. I suppose next liberals will tell us all dog breeds are exactly the same except white people make some breeds more aggressive than others.
They weren't left to their own devices. Did France leave them alone? Did developed nations engage in trade with them?

But now you've gone full Stormfront and all eugenic-y. Reading your post is like someone pouring rancid oil down my back.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Don't start with the clichéd and hackneyed liberal labeling. You literally posted above the liberal tripe that white people are the reason Haiti is what it is. A spade is a spade, and falsely blaming white people for every poor outcome of any non-whites is the worst kind of racism.
Not falsely and not every. Spade? Geez, even your cliches are racial.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
If you'd like to compare apples and avocados, feel free. The two topics have nothing to do with each other, but I guess if you hate firearms enough you'll go to any lengths to stretch a comparison.

One is constitutionally protected. One isn't. I'll leave it to you to figure out which is which.

If you'd like to discuss my views on gun rights, feel free to send me a private message or - even better - start a thread about it. Hijacking a thread about immigration in order to make an idiotic comparison isn't the way to go about it, though.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
They weren't left to their own devices. Did France leave them alone? Did developed nations engage in trade with them?
How are you suppose to trade with a nation that produces next to nothing and has nothing to trade? Plenty of money and aid has been poured into Haiti but it doesn't accomplish much.

Quote:
But now you've gone full Stormfront and all eugenic-y. Reading your post is like someone pouring rancid oil down my back.
Just typical clichéd and hackneyed labels liberals use. Different groups of people differ in tendencies and are responsible for the cultures they create.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
The present system of allowing people to get work visas, green cards, and eventually citizenship is not technically a merit system BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT.......

you can't get that work visa without certain requirements.....in a merit system those requirements would have points...they don't have points now but you can't get the work visa without those requirements. So whether or not my husband got his original work visa with enough points or based on the fact he fulfilled certain requirements -- it was the same result.

That's the thing -- the immigration problem in the states isn't because the present system doesn't have specific requirements.
The illegal resident situation was based on the the federal, state governments and citizens allowing temporary workers and illegals to work without papers.

Go ahead implement a merit system. I would still get into the country. My husband's company presented a two inch thick document to prove his worth to the USA. He got his visa...and then me and the kids got ours (yup that chain migration). We eventually got green cards because there were jobs, blah blah blah......and now we are citizens.

No merit system but there was vetting, interviews, finger prints, etc.....

A merit immigration system isn't the solution.....a proper vetting of visas, tracking of visas, and yes -- coming down harder on those that don't have the right status.

That means employers, individuals who hire illegals are also criminals for hiring illegals.

Everyone has to pay to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies