Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Same opportunities afforded ancestors? NONE. If you mean social welfare benefits such as welfare, free schooling, free medical care; etc. then NONE. Lots of old timey immigrants went back home if they couldn't cut it here.

No taxpayer wants to support an ever increasing welfare class.

And, were you born in this country? I was. We are NOT a nation of immigrants.

The US has periodically closed its borders to allow an influx of immigrants to assimilate. Prevents Little Korea, Little Italy, Little this or that.

Of course there are those like the Swedes or Germans who have opted for open borders and multiculturalism. How has that worked out for them?
Social Security the first real safety net didn't even exist yet when my mother was born at the beginning of the great depression. There was no other country for her to go to being natural born citizen just like her father, grandfather, great grandfather and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And they weren't relatively persecuted in Western Europe other than the 12 year period of bad times in Germany. A.
Dead-ess wrong! The Dreyfus affair? It wasn't alone.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,432 times
Quote:
Well they weren't relatively persecuted in America. And they weren't relatively persecuted in Western Europe other than the 12 year period of bad times in Germany. And it's just not credible that everyone else is the wrong ones except them. And frankly who wouldn't be persecuted going back 2000 years if they lived in other peoples cultures and didn't blend fully in and took an adverse attitude. People stayed among their own kind largely until more recent times.
Wait? Did you just refer to the holocaust as "bad times"? And are you actually justifying the persecution of Jews because they didn't blend well enough?

I tried, but Stormfront has got your soul. Resist the urges to light a cross on fire, if you can.

And with that, I bid you farewell, especially when the DACA kids get to stay.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:15 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Big difference between Christian, family oriented poor people with good work ethic and these wonders from Africa and other places.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
We are the land of opportunity and we need to remember what we stand for and why we fought for our independence. Are those people from Haiti and elsewhere not worthy enough to improve their lives and the lives of their children and families? That is why everyone fights to get here.
You aren't remembering anything here. You're regurgitating the weird new interpretation of America's founding ideology that makes it about Emma Lazarus' 1883 poem. The American Revolution was fought so that people could rule over their own country, independent of the British monarchy. It had nothing to do with fighting to move somewhere else, or collecting the wretched refuse of the teeming shores of Haiti.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:18 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Alan Dershowitz, a liberal and Jewish, has been on Fox news making several "conservative" arguments and even defending the Trump administration. Surprisingly I found myself agreeing with him. But there's one thing he like all liberals are adamant about-mass globalized immigration.

Last night on Hannity addressing Trumps alleged "s-hole countries" comment, Dershowitz said Trump should apologize, and "we" should never say anything bad about any craphole countries and should openly accept immigration from all countries. Uh okay because why??

He went on to say, his grandfather immigrated from a European country, presumably in the early 1900s and accordingly we should always welcome immigration forever from everywhere.

What? First off just because America allowed in his grandfather in from Europe probably over a 100 years ago, what does that have to do with letting in immigrants from the third world today.

Furthermore, this stands reason and fairness on its head. Why does allowing an immigrant in at one time from a given place obligate America to allow any other from anywhere going forward? That's completely backwards. The countries that America allowed immigrants in the past are obligated to accept Americans openly if anything. Israel if any nation is obligated to accept immigrants especially Americans and Westerns after hosting the Jewish diaspora for centuries for example.
Do you know what is backwards....anyone born in the US is an automatic citizen. We are the only country who allows this. This is a major problem.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Dershowitz's ancestors were "multicultural" back then. Mine came about the same time, and Russia, where I suspect both of ours are from (remember that included Poland and Ukraine in those days) were s-holes as well. The difference is that the only thing that was here in America for them was opportunity and freedom from persecution; not money and other benefits.
That's all fine. Many old stock Americans were basically living poor and in a s-hole across vast America around the time, not saying America was a s-hole. Not to mention "multicultural" enough what with living among All the NW European ethnicities and others. None of that explains why people like Dershowitz came here and did well but adamantly advocate mass globalized immigration, and don't you dare even question or criticize it. It's as insulting and offensive as it gets. The only explanation that comes to mind is animosity and spite to explain it. If that's what the post 1880s leave alone modern immigration begets then why would any American want any more immigration? At the very least, immigrants from the 1900 onward are intrinsically liberal and can't seem to connect the dots with why their country of origin might be an s-hole and they're creating another one here.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do you know what is backwards....anyone born in the US is an automatic citizen. We are the only country who allows this. This is a major problem.
I agree, only children born of natïve US citizens, should be US citizens automatically.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
That's all fine. Many old stock Americans were basically living poor and in a s-hole across vast America around the time. None of that explains why people like Dershowitz came here and did well but adamantly advocate mass globalized immigration, and don't you dare even question or criticize it. It's as insulting and offensive as it gets. The only explanation that comes to mind is animosity and spite to explain it. If that's what the post 1880s leave alone modern immigration begets then why would any American want any more immigration?
Even though Dershowitz is tremendously bright I think it's a combination of naivete and the statements, amounting to propaganda, from most Rabbis. I am Jewish, and argue that Tikkun Olam (sp) is not a suicide pact. Leviticus only goes so far.

In other words if you are fairly presenting his position I think he is simply wrong.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why the U.S. should be the default depository for every criminal, refugee, potential terrorist, uneducated, poor person in the world is beyond me. Other countries have very strict immigration requirements. Why shouldn't we?
You are making the assumption that all immigrants are criminals/poor people/uneducated/ terrorists i'd imagine most immigrants to the USA exhibit none of these traits and are hard working educated people. America does have very strict immigration requirements for those who wish to come legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies