Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 PM

29,474 posts, read 22,487,125 times

Advertisements

What a scam, they obviously count on people not contesting these charges when the victims are dazed right after the accident.

Bay Area couple in car crash refuses medical help, gets big bill anyway | abc7news.com

Quote:
If you get into a car crash, you may or may not need medical help. But victims may get treatment whether they ask for it or not. A Bay Area couple got into what they thought was a minor crash, and refused medical services at the scene. Months later, they received a surprise in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,004,086 times
That's just how life goes. The ambulance has to check on them. If they'd been hurt and one of them croaked, the other would be suing them for not being available.
Eta just bc she said they only took her bp doesn't mean it's true. Emt are trained to looks for signs of things that you might not even notice they are doing. They may be asking you questions that seem like chit chat but they are assessing you there, too.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 AM

709 posts, read 655,312 times
If one doesn't want a bill from an ambulance they didn't call for, don't give the ambulance crew any information.

I'm a paramedic. If you insist you aren't injured and don't want my help, I'm not going to argue with you about it (unless you clearly do need help, but even then, if you're awake and oriented normally, I can't force it).

My current agency doesn't charge for a refusal with no services rendered other than assessment, but not all places are like that. I've worked for 4 different agencies now, and all 4 handled refusals differently.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:54 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a scam, they obviously count on people not contesting these charges when the victims are dazed right after the accident.

Bay Area couple in car crash refuses medical help, gets big bill anyway | abc7news.com
Good news folks. The charges were waived.

"Fire department did grant their appeal and waive the fees for Wong and Lee, saying "There was an assessment done and a medical record created, but the assessment was minimal."

Seems the also waive the fees for low-income folks.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:00 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Accident "victims often are dazed or in shock, and don't realize they've been injured. Internal bleeding and concussions may not be readily apparent. Sometimes injuries go unnoticed and worsen later. Some could be potentially fatal if left unaddressed."

"Paramedics try to evaluate victims especially when vehicle damage is severe, since that indicates the impact of the crash was also severe."

According to the article, they got into the ambulance, allowed their blood pressure to be checked, their heart rate checked. I'd wager good money that the paramedics assessed their injuries, their respiration rate, whether they were in shock, ...

"I jokingly asked if there was going to be a charge for this to be administered, and he said 'no.' " Lee says.

Hard to say if this true or not. Why would the Fire Dept. lie to them? If so, that needs to change.

They rear ended another car, caused a wreck. Then they got into an ambulance, and had a medical assessment.

Who should pay for that?

Taxpayers or their insurance company?

Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 AM

88,800 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
If one doesn't want a bill from an ambulance they didn't call for, don't give the ambulance crew any information.

I'm a paramedic. If you insist you aren't injured and don't want my help, I'm not going to argue with you about it (unless you clearly do need help, but even then, if you're awake and oriented normally, I can't force it).

My current agency doesn't charge for a refusal with no services rendered other than assessment, but not all places are like that. I've worked for 4 different agencies now, and all 4 handled refusals differently.
Not as easy to do as you might think... The ambulance company or local municipality gets that info from the police report. If the rig rolls, you're charged. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies