Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Merit-based immigration is Koch-speak for bringing in cheap labor to compete and replace America's educated class in the same way that illegals and free trade did with our working class.
What absolute crap. Merit based immigration means bringing in people who can actually offer something. You progs will say anything to try to keep Trump from changing the free-for-all at the border.

Build The Wall. Make real immigration laws and enforce them.
MAGA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 07:59 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I actually know a family from Norway. Both husband and wife work for the NAVY and they both help out in the local VA hospital. (volunteer works) They have a very cute 3 year old son.

They speak very good English and I learned Norwegians begin their English studies around Grades 2-7.

Very impressive.
I spent a year with my grandparents in Norway when I was 12. All the kids my age spoke English. My grandparents didn't speak English, so we got a lot of use out of a Norwegian-English dictionary, but just about everyone beyond their generation spoke English very well.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
What absolute crap. Merit based immigration means bringing in people who can actually offer something. You progs will say anything to try to keep Trump from changing the free-for-all at the border.

Build The Wall. Make real immigration laws and enforce them.
MAGA
Orrin Hatch, Republican, has been trying for years to expand the H-1B visa program. Its purpose is to drive down wages for highly-skilled workers, by using temporary foreign labor.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Orrin Hatch, Republican, has been trying for years to expand the H-1B visa program. Its purpose is to drive down wages for highly-skilled workers, by using temporary foreign labor.
As an engineer who works in Silicon Valley, I can tell you that wages are certainly not being driven down over here. They are very high and keep going up. So if the goal is to drive down wages, they have completely and utterly failed.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Liberals love nothing better than some travelling uterus that can drop a new Democrat voter on US soil.

Doesn't matter if they're retarded, diseased, zero job skills, physically or mentally unfit. As long as you crank out that Blue RugRat you are good to go!

The La Raza Sisterhood of the Travelling Uterus.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
As an engineer who works in Silicon Valley, I can tell you that wages are certainly not being driven down over here. They are very high and keep going up. So if the goal is to drive down wages, they have completely and utterly failed.
Yah but the H1-B racket is used to hire engineering talent below market rate wages.

And btw when we hire Praneeth from Bangalore, why do we need his parents and grandparents too? Where are they working? I just see them walking around all slow, driving around all slow, cooking in the garage, sitting in the park. They ain't working!

Who's paying for all their expensive end-of-life care? (rhetorical question of course)

Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Liberals love nothing better than some travelling uterus that can drop a new Democrat voter on US soil.

Doesn't matter if they're retarded, diseased, zero job skills, physically or mentally unfit. As long as you crank out that Blue RugRat you are good to go!

The La Raza Sisterhood of the Travelling Uterus.
Classic example of transference. Many right wingers (like this poster apparently) are only motivated by their own self-interests and are perfectly willing to go to any ends to see things go their way. As a result they can't imagine that anyone would want hard working new Americans to succeed just because it's a humane thing to do.

Pretty ugly way to put it tho. Most conservatives I know, excepting this person and president of course, have more class.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
This isn't true. If wages were rising at 40% yoy and gov't instituted a policy that artificially reduced the rise to 20% yoy, then this is successfully driving down wages.

Are you sure you're a silicon valley engineer? I think most would know that already.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
I'm glad that we finally have a president that doesn't think the US should be a dumpster for the rest of the world to deposit their trash. Is anyone else tired of the endless torrent of perpetual welfare collectors and criminals pouring into this country? I know I am.
So when we get rid of the illegals will you come clean my house, do my landscape and mow my lawn. How many Americans do you think are lining up for these jobs. You guys just have no idea how they contribute to our economy.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So when we get rid of the illegals will you come clean my house, do my landscape and mow my lawn. How many Americans do you think are lining up for these jobs. You guys just have no idea how they contribute to our economy.
Maybe you hire illegals to do every little thing you could do yourself, and maybe or maybe not that betters your financial situation over hiring Americans, but that doesn't go for me or a lot of other people. Employing illegals is not helping the economy, it's shifting expenses on to everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies