Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
What sh*thole country did your ancestors come from? Serious question.
All of their ancestors came from a paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:01 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
As an engineer who works in Silicon Valley, I can tell you that wages are certainly not being driven down over here. They are very high and keep going up. So if the goal is to drive down wages, they have completely and utterly failed.
The policy may be having an affect anyway.

Clearly there is a shortage of native talent, therefore the large number of foreign born, cut that off and what would happen to the wages, or the growth potential of these firms?

But the silicon valley is not the whole country, although it may seem like that to some. Republican business leaders all over the country are working hard to manage costs, and labor is often the most significant. The Chamber of Commerce promotes more immigration, for this very reason.

There is a real disconnect between well paid working people who vote Republican and Republican Business leaders who see their well paid workers as a burden. The party has developed a split personality and this is one issue that demonstrates it.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Not to mention most all of our immigrants were coming from Europe at that time still. Asia was effectively barred, and weren't allowed naturalization. So Emma Lazzarus poem could only been talking about the poor from Europe, but good ol modern day liberals retroactively are trying to globalize it.

The Merit based immigration plan would be a great improve but it doesn't solve the issues at hand and the future trends. It still allows in too many people and future democrat voters, will likely shift more immigration from India and china and amount to the same colonization by nontraditional immigrants. It'll probably also shift more of the immigration burden on the college bound and upper middle class. Still an improvement over middle taking the lower class and the 3rd world burden.
I can only assume you've lived a sheltered life. Most of our immigration comes from Asia, Africa, and the Middle East because that's where most people who want to emigrate from their countries come from. In short, a very small number of Europeans, relative to their population, want to leave Europe, Western Europe in particular.

I wish people would understand that the vast majority of Europeans have no desire to to give up their way of life, with their many family-friendly social policies, for the American way of life, with few family-friendly policies.
Heck, many Europeans don't even want to travel here now that Trump is POTUS.

By the way, do you not realize that Europeans are overwhelmingly liberal by American standards? They would also be future Democrats. I'm a white, Anglo Saxon Protestant from Canada (with European parents), and I sure don't vote Republican. I can practically guarantee that there are very few white immigrants from Canada who don't vote Democrat.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-16-2018 at 03:24 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I spent a year with my grandparents in Norway when I was 12. All the kids my age spoke English. My grandparents didn't speak English, so we got a lot of use out of a Norwegian-English dictionary, but just about everyone beyond their generation spoke English very well.
Many, if not most, Europeans speak multiple languages. They transition from one to the other with ease, sometimes in the same conversation.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:36 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I can only assume you've lived a sheltered life. Most of our immigration comes from Asia, Africa, and the Middle East because that's where most people who want to emigrate from their countries come from. In short, a very small number of Europeans, relative to their population, want to leave Europe, Western Europe in particular.

I wish people would understand that the vast majority of Europeans have no desire to to give up their way of life, with their many family-friendly social policies, for the American way of life, with few family-friendly policies.
Heck, many Europeans don't even want to travel here now that Trump is POTUS.

By the way, do you not realize that Europeans are overwhelmingly liberal by American standards? They would also be future Democrats. I'm a white, Anglo Saxon Protestant from Canada (with European parents), and I sure don't vote Republican. I can practically guarantee that there are very few white immigrants from Canada who don't vote Democrat.
So did you vote for Hillary? What Democrat policies would you approve that would help the economy, create jobs, and also help our social ills?

Old 01-16-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Liberals love nothing better than some travelling uterus that can drop a new Democrat voter on US soil.

Doesn't matter if they're retarded, diseased, zero job skills, physically or mentally unfit. As long as you crank out that Blue RugRat you are good to go!

The La Raza Sisterhood of the Travelling Uterus.
See my post above.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:10 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
During the Second Industrial Revolution we had massive industrial growth and a surplus of low-skill jobs needing to be filled.

Haven't times changed? Automation, etc...

I hear Democratic congressional members reference a poem on a gift from a foreign country as if it were law and it reminds me that (1) congress members are not bright, (2) congress members deceive a lot, (3) we allow them to if they are in our own party.

Canada has a more merit based system and it works better.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
The Democrats(and a lot of Republicans) are completely out of touch with the American people. This is OUR country, we have the RIGHT to decide who gets to come to OUR country. We have the right to make sure we are getting the BEST, getting net contributors to our society. People with needed skills, people with capital to put to work, people who will assimilate. It is not racist to say this. If we let everyone in the entire third world would come here, we do not have infinite resources. It is no longer the industrial revolution we do not have a bunch of non-skilled work to hand out.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The Democrats(and a lot of Republicans) are completely out of touch with the American people. This is OUR country, we have the RIGHT to decide who gets to come to OUR country. We have the right to make sure we are getting the BEST, getting net contributors to our society. People with needed skills, people with capital to put to work, people who will assimilate. It is not racist to say this. If we let everyone in the entire third world would come here, we do not have infinite resources. It is no longer the industrial revolution we do not have a bunch of non-skilled work to hand out.
No one is suggesting we let everyone in. No one is suggesting that we keep people that are already successful out. Us Democrats (and a lot of those Republicans) are American people too. We have the RIGHT to decide just as you do what goes on in OUR country. Where do you get off thinking you get to decide for us? How arrogant.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I want people to move into my neighborhood, but I want the right kind of people. This has nothing to do with race, ethnicity, or religion.

I want people who are professionals and have enough income to pay taxes and contribute to the community, not take from it in terms of taxpayer funded assistance.

I want people who are qualified for good jobs, and can help the local economy.

I want people who give a damn about raising their children, if they have them, keeping them off of drugs, the streets, and away from crime. I want them to care about the local schools.

I want people who keep their property up and don't drag down the value of the neighborhood.

None of this has one thing to do with your race, religion, or orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies